Used Oil Analysis

For what its worth, I did an oil analysis on my 2015 Beta 500rs for a few reasons.  My first modern 4T, I thought 30 hr oci's would be too few hrs.  I thought 30 hrs on the gearbox oil would be far too many, especially since I'm a avid clutch abuser.  I've only really raced 2T MX bikes in the past and changed the gearbox oil every ride.  I also used a M/C 10w40 oil I had which doesn't have friction modifiers (moly) for wet clutch use and added a dose of Valvoline's moly additive at their recommended dose.  Would the moly show up in the analysis?  The sample had 31 hrs on it, I boiled it in tight single track twice.  This was b/f I knew Beta spec's 15w50 in the RR480's.  I'll use a 15w50 in the future.  I swap a clean air cleaner after every ride and check the inside air boot.  Next time I'll "white glove" it.  Its clean however by eye but the high silicon count indicates dirt, or from silicone sealer leaching.  The high copper count usually comes from bushings I'm told, is this from the water pump issue...?  This engine had 61hrs on it at the time of the change a wk ago.  This viscosity dropped from 10w40 to 10w30 range in this time.  The additives were barely used up (TBN 7.)  I'll be changing my oil more frequently!

img20170413_20514006.jpg

Edited by ron138
  • Like 1

Very interesting.

BTW, Silicon and Silicone are not the same things. One is sand, the other is a sealant.

Pretty interesting on the viscosity drop, fuel dilution?

Thanks for sharing it.

Absolutely crazy to have 31hrs on an oil change. They have no averages on this type of motor?? How do you know if any of these readings are out of whack and by how much???

Well Beta says 30hrs so I didn't think 31 was crazy, now however.... The lab flags abnormalties of their averages. I've compared to other people's lab results. One yzf250 would turn 10w40 into 30wt in 4hrs (combined engine/gearbox however.)

Edited by ron138

7 hours ago, danketchpel said:

Very interesting.

BTW, Silicon and Silicone are not the same things. One is sand, the other is a sealant.

Pretty interesting on the viscosity drop, fuel dilution?

Thanks for sharing it.

When I did my tests years ago (Yamaha) Blackstone labs told me to ignore the viscosity change, as it was normal/Typical with anything but 100% ester synthetic oil, and even then, somewhat typical. Mine went from 10/40 to 10/5 using dino oil in an unknown amount of hours (over 30).

The REAL question here is, are the high metals  levels due to:

- oil protection failing over time

- oil protection poor to begin with

- oil change intervals too long, so materials levels are just cumlatively high ...< my opinion, as well as tolerences

- tight factory tolerances creating more friction for a longer period of time (metals) and hence debris. I believe this to be true on Beta's, as my bike is still 'loosening up' at 70 hours..

The Silicon levels look typical to me for that period of time, on a dual sport where typical (read incorrect ) filter maintanence is practiced *.

Mine had Boron at 2183!

* If you use gasolene to clean your filter, you must use clean fuel for the final rinse(s) to be sure the filter is actually clean. Having the filter 'look' clean means nothing. You have to clean it in the solvent to get out all the oils, then clean it again in fresh/clean solvent, until the solvent stays crystal clear. That takes (3) containers and three cleaning tubs, if you want to do it right.....or you can do the last cleaning with Dawn liquid, in the sink.....or use the No Toil product, washing until the rinse water is completely clear....which I find to be much easier to do.

...and yes, these dirt bike racing motors are MUCH MUCH MUCH more oil critical than a 'hot rod' or a 'industrial motor', no matter what a neophyte may say or rant....

Edited by Krannie McKranface
  • Like 3

Agreed, I always use Dawn as the final.  Also understand silicone is different, but that came from the lab that gaskets and/or sealer used could be leaching in and will diminish with each oil change.  They didn't test for fuel dillution, but my Guess would be none to very little given the low hrs on the engine, crisp running condition, and the oil didn't smell of gas.  Lead was from the fuel...

OP thanks for sharing the analysis. The test was only on the engine oil only and not the trans. I wonder if the trans oil would be fine at 30 hrs if using a good synthetic oil. Has anyone done an analysis on the gear oil side yet?

I currently have 50 hrs on my 500rs and have been changing the engine side at 15 hrs and filter every other change. I'm currently using motul trans 10-40 and amsoil 10-40 dirt bike in the engine but will going to the amsoil dirt bike in both from now on. 

Your welcome.  I have never done tests on a gearbox oil.  My OPINION/what the lab has told me, AND seeing other lab results from bikes with combined oil systems, is that the gearbox/wet clutch is Way harder on the viscosity index improvers (the polymers that change 40wt oil into 10w40.)  Transmissions w/out a wet clutch generally use gear oil since it better withstands shearing.  On my 2T bikes I've always changed the gearbox oil every ride, and you could see the aluminum in the oil each time.

• Like 1