Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has put an IMS tank on their YZ250FX and run a dry break system, just wondering what the best breather fitting location is before I drill the tank and also would like to know where the hose was routed. Probably the same situation as an oversized tank on a YZF, WR 250/450 with reverse engines and the air box up front. Would like to put the fitting center at the front of the tank but the IMS fitting supplied is too wide and wont fit between the air box and tank, thinking I should get a slimmer 90 degree fitting and then run the hose straight up to the triple clamps like normal. I have the screw cap adapter on at the moment but I've got the dry break receiver ready to go once I sort a breather out. Any experience with this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers Jason

20170414_171202.jpg

20170414_171134.jpg

20170414_171059.jpg

1489900538343.jpg

Edited by jwalt91

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question.

What exact tank is that ( size ) and did you have to do mods to make it fit?

When you run your breather hose, make sure to make it like 3ft long and make several loops as gas will slosh badly and leak out the vent tube... And if you can and the tank is still new, throw it in the sun for the day as it will brighten it up quite a bit and won't be as yellow.. 

Edited by Monk

12 minutes ago, Enduro R Rider said:

I just want to know how you are going to change a plug or sensor trail side.

I know right, like 300+hrs of riding and racing and all I do is change plugs and sensors.. How did I ever manage? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Monk said:

I know right, like 300+hrs of riding and racing and all I do is change plugs and sensors.. How did I ever manage? 

By taking the entire ass end of the bike part, thats how, if you have that tank. If you are just racing thats one thing. But if you trail ride, adventure ride, etc. miles away from roads its something to think about.

3 minutes ago, Enduro R Rider said:

By taking the entire ass end of the bike part, thats how, if you have that tank. If you are just racing thats one thing. But if you trail ride, adventure ride, etc. miles away from roads its something to think about.

I do it all, and I consider the 250FX one of the single best bikes you can buy. Reliability with proper preventative maintenance shouldn't be a issue...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Monk said:

I do it all, and I consider the 250FX one of the single best bikes you can buy. Reliability with proper preventative maintenance shouldn't be a issue...

Got one myself. Love the bike. Just did 700 miles in 4 days through two track, single track, fire roads etc. It does have a few sensor issues though.

1 minute ago, Enduro R Rider said:

Got one myself. Love the bike. Just did 700 miles in 4 days through two track, single track, fire roads etc. It does have a few sensor issues though.

Elaborate on these issues? I do a Western Canadian Championship and never had a single issue... 

17 minutes ago, Monk said:

Elaborate on these issues? I do a Western Canadian Championship and never had a single issue... 

Rather than type it all out again here is the link. There are those with 2015's that had TPS issues but I believe the updated part may have cured that. I installed one already during my troubleshooting saga. Again, awesome bike and I would buy it again but that tank is not at all maintenance friendly. Its the only reason I went with a different one.

Edited by Enduro R Rider

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:43 PM, XRalways said:

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your question.

What exact tank is that ( size ) and did you have to do mods to make it fit?

No worries, I believe it is this one;

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=Yamaha&maD=true&ModelSet=YZ250FX&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=2015-2016&SizeSet=2.5 gal

No mods but I had to remove sub-frame to install it, I did have to cable tie the fuel line away from the rear shock as it naturally wanted to sit against the spring

20 hours ago, Enduro R Rider said:

I just want to know how you are going to change a plug or sensor trail side.

Not really planning to, I think the chances of that happening are just as high as any other mechanical fault or damage to the bike out on the trail or at the races. But yes it does limit that option

Edited by jwalt91

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:30 AM, Monk said:

I ran mine in top, in the little winged outlet. I also had a lower profile vent fitting... 

Thanks for the info Monk, appreciate it. Did you run your hose down to the bash plate? Keen to get the dry break on as I've tickled my balls a few times already! Also do you use the ims dry break probe or just a normal quick fill type dump can to re-fuel? Cheers

20 hours ago, Enduro R Rider said:

Rather than type it all out again here is the link. There are those with 2015's that had TPS issues but I believe the updated part may have cured that. I installed one already during my troubleshooting saga. Again, awesome bike and I would buy it again but that tank is not at all maintenance friendly. Its the only reason I went with a different one.

What tank did you get?

Just now, jwalt91 said:

What tank did you get?

I got the Safari. The looks have to grow on you a bit but it keeps the same exact ergonomics as stock and doubles the size. Plus you can take 5 bolts out and lift it off for maintenance.

1 hour ago, jwalt91 said:

Thanks for the info Monk, appreciate it. Did you run your hose down to the bash plate? Keen to get the dry break on as I've tickled my balls a few times already! Also do you use the ims dry break probe or just a normal quick fill type dump can to re-fuel? Cheers

I made a few loops and then hung it on the cable carrier that sits on the head of the bike. I ran the drybreak, with the probe and everything. If I was at home I would just you the tuff jug with a KTM adaptor... 

This is a cheaper option for the quick fill and works more like a standard cap... 

https://bti-tool.com/dry-break-screw-cap-adapter.html