My DRZ wouldn't start!

I got off work today and tried to start my bike but it wouldn't start even with the choke. Earlier today while I was trying to start the bike, the exhaust made a loud popping noise.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Do you have suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Will the motor crank over with the electric starter or not?
So now the motor will start if you push start it?
Your descriptions are confusing.

I'm sorry my descriptions are confusing! I'm bad at explaining things haha. Normally in order for me to get my bike to start, I have to press the electric start button while revving the engine with the choke out. Today at work, my bike would crank over but not fire up.

Clean the carb and make sure the fuel supply is clean

Ok thank you!! Do you know if the spark plug has anything to do with the bike not starting?

I guess that is a serious question.  Your engine needs fuel,  air,  and a way to ignite that mix,  so if there is something wrong with the delivery of any of that it WON'T run right,  or not at all.  Do you know how to check to see if you are  not getting "spark"?   

I guess that is a serious question.  Your engine needs fuel,  air,  and a way to ignite that mix,  so if there is something wrong with the delivery of any of that it WON'T run right,  or not at all.  Do you know how to check to see if you are  not getting "spark"?   

No I'm not sure how to check to see if I'm getting spark!
Though I haven't changed the spark plug in a few years! This is what it looked like when I last took it out about a year ago to take a look at it. IMG_0154.JPG

You are covering up the part I want to see.  That is the same part that your combustion chamber sees.   A fresh one is probably in order.  The rudementary test is to remove the sparkplug and put it back into the cap on the end of the wire.  Then hold the threaded or square sided part to your engine, most likely the cylinder head and crank the starter.  If you see good strong blue spark jumping the gap in a steady rhythm then you are probably good there.  If after trying to start it the plug is completely dry (several attemps) then most likely fuel is not making it into the circuits of the carburetor that it  needs to.  In the case of starting,  the choke or enrichening circuit,  and the low speed circuit.  Dirty carburetor,  plugged fuel filter,  plugged petcock screen,  plugged pilot jet etc.

That plug may be showing signs of arcing along it's insulator.  Pretty dirty exterior probably has a dirty cap too,  allowing electrical current to short circuit to ground.  you can wipe it off good,  clean out the cap (wd 40 etc may be handy there) and try again,  or buy a plut and a cap.  My guess is the carburetor has probably gone a long time without attention too.

Is that  the plug it has in it now?

Edited by ossagp

1 hour ago, Allyyyson25 said:

No I'm not sure how to check to see if I'm getting spark!
Though I haven't changed the spark plug in a few years! This is what it looked like when I last took it out about a year ago to take a look at it. IMG_0154.JPG

Yes, that is a dirty spark plug. Replace it. Have you thought about taking your bike somewhere to get it fixed, they have places like that near you.

• Like 2

Your finger is covering the important part. That plug definatley looks old especially if that was a few years ago. New plug, fresh 91 octane and some sea foam. Inspect and clean your air filter also. If it dosent start carb jets could be plugged. Sounds like its running lean, especially if you have to pull back on the throttle to get it started. Try richening you fuel air screw a half turn if the above dosent get it started.

You are covering up the part I want to see.  That is the same part that your combustion chamber sees.   A fresh one is probably in order.  The rudementary test is to remove the sparkplug and put it back into the cap on the end of the wire.  Then hold the threaded or square sided part to your engine, most likely the cylinder head and crank the starter.  If you see good strong blue spark jumping the gap in a steady rhythm then you are probably good there.  If after trying to start it the plug is completely dry (several attemps) then most likely fuel is not making it into the circuits of the carburetor that it  needs to.  In the case of starting,  the choke or enrichening circuit,  and the low speed circuit.  Dirty carburetor,  plugged fuel filter,  plugged petcock screen,  plugged pilot jet etc.
That plug may be showing signs of arcing along it's insulator.  Pretty dirty exterior probably has a dirty cap too,  allowing electrical current to short circuit to ground.  you can wipe it off good,  clean out the cap (wd 40 etc may be handy there) and try again,  or buy a plut and a cap.  My guess is the carburetor has probably gone a long time without attention too.

Is that  the plug it has in it now?

Thank you! That really helps a lot. After work, I'll try out the test and post on here the results and a video. I got the carb cleaned out about a year ago as well by a shop. & yes, that's the plug that's in now.

Your finger is covering the important part. That plug definatley looks old especially if that was a few years ago. New plug, fresh 91 octane and some sea foam. Inspect and clean your air filter also. If it dosent start carb jets could be plugged. Sounds like its running lean, especially if you have to pull back on the throttle to get it started. Try richening you fuel air screw a half turn if the above dosent get it started.

IMG_0155.JPG

This is the only other picture of the spark plug that I took a while back. It's still the same one inside the bike. Alright I'll try that out too! Thanks :) to see if the carb jets are plugged, how do I check? Is that something a shop is better off doing?

Plug looks ok.

Did you try to turn the petcock to the prime position and then attempt to start it?Did you check to see if the vacuum line from the top of the carb to the petcock is connected?

The plug looks good enough from "awhile back".  but you have to wonder what it is like today.  Verify flow to the carburetor (you will have to take the hose off and see if you can get flow,  and to do that you probably have to try and start it so the petcock vacuum valve works.  The carburetor can easily plug up in a year.  What about fliters? 

• Like 1