Who has a quick throttle?

Does anyone have a quick throttle tube? I'm thinking of getting one and would like to see if it really makes much of a difference.

I have a KTM 450 if I do get one will I be able to ease the throttle or it it just power right away almost like a wheelie?

I saw where one company was selling different cams to make it non-linear and fine tune to your liking. G2 i tihink.

• Like 2

I race enduro and scrambles I like the idea but sometimes I need to feather my throttle in tight sections so I'm not sure it would be great for me to have.  My 450 has mean power but sometimes I want it right away and it lags a little bit in the bottom end but its great mid to high end of the throttle 

• Like 1

Assuming carb, You may need to time the accelorator pump or mod it to go off sooner.  There is a well documented mod for my bike.

57 minutes ago, fidd said:

I race enduro and scrambles I like the idea but sometimes I need to feather my throttle in tight sections so I'm not sure it would be great for me to have.  My 450 has mean power but sometimes I want it right away and it lags a little bit in the bottom end but its great mid to high end of the throttle 

You don't really want a 1/4 turn throttle, it will be exhausting and very difficult to feather the throttle. Certainly sounds like a carbed bike and willy-g hit the nail on the head with the acc pump tuning. Could also be that you're just at too low of an RPM for the given gear you're in? Try slipping the clutch a bit at the low RPMs? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

I saw where one company was selling different cams to make it non-linear and fine tune to your liking. G2 i tihink.

I have a G2 "quick" throttle on my CRF450X, that I ride exclusively in the WV mountains. I find it very easy to modulate. I also find it can be very exciting at times too. Don't need to "grab a handful" to get it done. Personal preference I guess.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikeridered said:

I have a G2 "quick" throttle on my CRF450X, that I ride exclusively in the WV mountains. I find it very easy to modulate. I also find it can be very exciting at times too. Don't need to "grab a handful" to get it done. Personal preference I guess.

I'd only ever heard of the G2 throttle tamer, not their quick throttle which I just looked up. Looks like that G2 model isn't a 1/4 turn but 10% (or 20% with diff cam) less travel than a normal 1/2 turn throttle. That seems like something I'd def look into. All other quick turn throttles I've seen are 1/4 turn which is too much IMO. G2 certainly has some great options with their swappable cam profiles. Good stuff

What's the website for G2?  I've never heard of it before.

If I can get something that turns quicker but not the 1/4 turn I'd be down to try that.

Definitely get the G2 throttle tube with a set of different cams. I have limited range of motion in my wrist due to injury. I have the shorter turn cam on my 450 bike which strictly for track. It can be difficult in tight sections. I have the longest and slowest turning cam on my 250 trail bike. It is an awesome set up that allows you to tune the throttle to the terrain you ride. The cams are labeled by numbers. 100 is stock 200 300 400 number cams are slower and longer than stock. 50 is shorter. Pretty sure it is called G2 Tamer

• Like 1

G2 quick turn throttle http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-quick-turn-throttle-tube/ 

G2 cams http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-cams/

Looks like the quick turn and the tamer tubes are both the same thing but with different cams. Pretty cool shit. I think i'm gonna buy one so I can stop over gripping and bullshit 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

I'd only ever heard of the G2 throttle tamer , not their quick throttle which I just looked up. Looks like that G2 model isn't a 1/4 turn but 10% (or 20% with diff cam) less travel than a normal 1/2 turn throttle. That seems like something I'd def look into. All other quick turn throttles I've seen are 1/4 turn which is too much IMO. G2 certainly has some great options with their swappable cam profiles. Good stuff

Must be more brain dead than I realize. It isn't a 1/4 or "quick" turn, but I can't remember what % it is. Must be more brain dead than I realize. I like it because when standing, I wrap my thumb around the housing where the cam is, and just rotate my fingers a bit. Good grip without the death grip syndrome.

The nice thing about the G2 is that it's the same tube no matter which model you buy (dirt tamer, quick throttle) it just comes with a different cam.  So if you ever want to switch to something else you can just buy a new cam

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikeridered said:

Must be more brain dead than I realize. It isn't a 1/4 or "quick" turn, but I can't remember what % it is. Must be more brain dead than I realize. I like it because when standing, I wrap my thumb around the housing where the cam is, and just rotate my fingers a bit. Good grip without the death grip syndrome.

If its a shorter turn than stock its either 10% or 20% cam which appear to be 10% or 20% less of a throw than a stock 1/2 turn throttle.

I ordered the 10% one last night. I assume its going to take a little bit of seat time to get used to but i'm looking forward to it. 

I put a 1/6 turn throttle tube on my wr250r, it doesn't have much power and I end up wide open a lot, twisting it wide open while standing was a pita, this helped as I don't have to turn the throttle as far to get there.

Most throttle's are 1/4 turn, measure how far your throttle turns, I doubt it's 1/2 a turn.

I bought a 2006 Yamaha r6 throttle tube, its a 1/6 turn that fits with a tiny bit of grinding, its much cheaper than the G2 ones. The mid 2000's r1 throttle tube is 1/5 turn if you only want it a touch quicker than stock. You need the OEM one as the motion pro ones are one sizes fits all and not 1/6 turn throttles.

OEM throttles are generally in the 70° to 100° range.

Generally, quick turn throttles use a different cam profile than OEM, and they are non-linear. Up to about 1/4 throttle is pretty much the same as stock to help maintain fine control in technical situations, but above 1/4 throttle the cam profile becomes more aggressive to produce more opening with less rotation to get to full throttle sooner.

Edited by The Spanky

Actually quick turn throttles generally are linear, they just have a greater "slope", if you will.  It's the dirt tamer types that are non-linear