Edelbrock carb help..

Anybody know anything about the edelbrock carb for DRZ? I don't care about the pros / cons of it vrs any other drz carbs, as I can't afford another and want to get this one going for now. 

My issue is, the slide will only open about 1/8". I thought the pumper linkage was jammed, so I disconnected it, and same issue..  the pic is as wide as it'll open. I'd like to get it fixed tomorrow, and have a mechanic friend that can give me a hand, BUT I'm sure he's never worked on a pumper carb, and may be better off dropping it off at a bike shop and spending $100 to have it rebuilt

20170414_003905.jpg

Only disassembly will reveal the problem.  It has been many years since I worked on an Edelbrock carb.  I really did not see anything basically wrong with the carb and it worked OK.  Several other carbs on the market now that use the single metering rod design.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bumtarder said:

You'd be far better off tuning the stock mikuni bsr than to try tuning that paperweight.The james dean jet kit will tune that mikuni really well.The edelebrock uses one circuit for everything and does nothing particularly well.

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I had one. It was a little funky because it wasn't as seamless as a normal carb. Being 40mm, it could be tuned to pull hard on top; and the tunable ac pump had great response off the bottom. It's everything else in-between that was a bit of a compromise.

The Edelbrock is a copy of the Lectron; a superbike carb from the '70s that was designed to run WFO or not at all.

Bst thing to do, is find a container that will hold the carb, place the carb in it and fill the container with a mild solvent that dissolves varnish, like kerosene. Affix a lid that will seal well against evaporation, and place the container in a safe place. Sometime in the 22nd century, it could wind up in the AMA motorcycle Hall of Fame, sitting next to a replica of the tomato can that Harley-Davidson used to fashion their first carburetor.

• Like 2