Trying to help a friend

Hey guys, a good friend of mine has an xl200 1983. He has a problem with his rear brake paddle( basically missing a few parts.) I'm trying to help him out but I cannot seem to find the right part for him. We have the paddle, the rod with the spring and the metal part that connects to the drum. I'm missing a piece that connects the paddle to the metal rod.

Also if someone can take a picture of his brake paddle and how it connects to the rod that will be very helpful.

Appreciate any help !

Gill

Hey I am missing 14, 13 and 9. But I need a also good picture of it cause i just cannot seem to get it to work correctly.

58f0f588ecbab_ScreenShot2017-04-14at12_14_09PM.png.86ce9e414dc9dcbd1d1036c889e8d937.png

well it wont work without that arm, part number 14 on the diagram you posted.  you need to get that part first and the springs you are missing.  when you get them, the brake pedal shaft goes through the large hole on the arm and in to a hole on your frame.  it is secured in the back of the mounting hole on your frame.  the small hole is connected to the brake rod that pull on the drum brake.  it is held in place with a pin and then help in place with a cotter pin.

the pic is one i pulled off the net.  its an 82 but should be close

1982 xr200 brake.jpg

The brake switch spring i think you can still buy if not i used a carb return spring on it and it works fine.

the springs can all be made from what you find drawers full of at a good industrial hardware store.  The pedal parts are something that when damaged,  and so many of them got damaged you just find yourself making stuff or modifying bone yard bike stuff. 

7 hours ago, Isrl2stroke said:

Hey guys, a good friend of mine has an xl200 1983. He has a problem with his rear brake paddle( basically missing a few parts.) I'm trying to help him out but I cannot seem to find the right part for him. We have the paddle, the rod with the spring and the metal part that connects to the drum. I'm missing a piece that connects the paddle to the metal rod.

Also if someone can take a picture of his brake paddle and how it connects to the rod that will be very helpful.

Appreciate any help !

Gill

The part number 14 is just a splined arm that fits onto the back side of the brake pedal. Then a bolt secures it. Get the parts first and i can take a picture of it for you. It is really straightforward, the arm sits in pretty vertical to the pedal.

• Like 1