Middle age begginers

Started riding last year at 29 so now I'm 30 and taking lessons from kids half my age at the track. These are great kids and while helpful to new guys like myself, i don't think they fully understand the midlife MX dad struggle.

Anybody else start around this age have any wisdom they can share for fellow riders?

I work full time, school part time and my family is constantly expanding with 2 ft tall stalkers (wife's always pregnant, she says there mine). So any advice on how to get more seat time, effective seat time, worthwhile investments, etc., would be very helpful!

• Like 1

Can't yet, I have one and a half girls so the the fight for the one kid that doesn't cost me a wedding is ongoing.

• Like 1

Break away from society and become a dirt biking hermit. Those who don't ride will never understand and money is pointless anyways.
If you won't take it that far then you just gotta work it in when you can. Good luck!

• Like 6

Started riding seriously at age 48.  Went to a hare scramble and just did it.  I have about 70 races under my belt now, and I am VP of my local club and on BOD of a 2,000 member racing organization.  I am still almost the slowest guy out there, but it is my life now.  Only had one major injury so far, and I have slowed down and remember that having fun is the goal - not winning.

• Like 6

I started at 28 and bought the whole family dirtbikes to support my own habit. How can that be selfish if everyone benefits from it?

• Like 4

Started riding again at 35 after a 20 year hiatus. I have a couple stalkers in my house as well. We had a boy, then girl and then had the snip. 

I have half the month off due to my job. So now that they are in school, i get my seat time during the days mid week. Sometimes I hook up with some buddies after they get out of work. Weekends are family time and church. My son rides with me when the weather is fine on Saturdays. He is nine and has a CRF70F. We just put around the trails, but its still loads of fun. 

It is not easy juggling family life. The struggle is real...

As far as advice.... Unless you are wealthy and dont need an income, you are going to have to priorities the needs of your family over your riding. It sucks, but is worth it. Life is long and guys that are dedicated can ride well into their sixties and beyond. Take the time now and do the family thing the right way. They are the priority. It 10-20 years you will have all the riding time you could want/need. 

Edited by Bobatsea
  • Like 3

Started riding again at 35 after a 20 year hiatus. I have a couple stalkers in my house as well. We had a boy, then girl and then had the snip. 
I have half the month off due to my job. So now that they are in school, i get my seat time during the days mid week. Sometimes I hook up with some buddies after they get out of work. Weekends are family time and church. My son rides with me when the weather is fine on Saturdays. He is nine and has a CRF70F. We just put around the trails, but its still loads of fun. 
It is not easy juggling family life. The struggle is real...
As far as advice.... Unless you are wealthy and dont need an income, you are going to have to priorities the needs of your family over your riding. It sucks, but is worth it. Life is long and guys that are dedicated can ride well into their sixties and beyond. Take the time now and do the family thing the right way. They are the priority. It 10-20 years you will have all the riding time you could want/need. 

This is why I don't have children. I've never prioritized anything over riding in 35 years. And I still ride less than I want to.
  • Like 2

It's hard enough to ride without having kids, yet alone with. One day il have to have kids since that's "part of life" and I'm dreading it. I see guys who ride during the week and weekends, I envy anyone who rides during the week. You gotta have a sweet job that let's you get away with riding at 2pm or whatever on a weekday. Hell, you're lucky if you only work 5 days a week nowadays. I know they exist but the chances most of us will end up in them is small. Most of us are stuck on 8-5 with a decent commute till a riding area. 

Im currently doing 40 hours Fri-Mon so I Tues-Thurs. This usually means I ride alone when i can as most are off weekends.

Lol....HR, I don't fault you, I have many kids. I love them all til the end! If it works for you ride on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RawbW said:

It's hard enough to ride without having kids, yet alone with. One day il have to have kids since that's "part of life" and I'm dreading it. I see guys who ride during the week and weekends, I envy anyone who rides during the week. You gotta have a sweet job that let's you get away with riding at 2pm or whatever on a weekday. Hell, you're lucky if you only work 5 days a week nowadays. I know they exist but the chances most of us will end up in them is small. Most of us are stuck on 8-5 with a decent commute till a riding area. 

You live in the wrong place and have the wrong job. 

Just out my backyard are 28 miles of great legal single track. Just hop on and go. 

• Like 4

@Bobatsea

agreed. I hope to get there one day. Not in cali I take it? Unless you're near some forestry land

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RawbW said:

@Bobatsea

agreed. I hope to get there one day. Not in cali I take it? Unless you're near some forestry land

I live in a little oasis. With ocean ten minutes away on one side, thousand acre state forest on the other. Best hospitals in the world forty minutes away. 

They are building all the time though. My little Oasis is quickly filling up as the urban areas all around us spill over. 

And no not in cali. Almost as far away as you can get from cali and still be in the continental ??.

Edited by Bobatsea

Ahhh, my dad lives on land with trails 2.5 hours from me in the mountains, and I see little bits of land getting bought up to be sold for people to build their new houses on and It bugs the crap out of me.

10 hours ago, Monkeyshuttle said:

... any advice on how to get more seat time, effective seat time, worthwhile investments, etc., would be very helpful!

IMO if you don't have somewhere close to ride that you can get a quick hour in here and there then you will have to put it off till the kids are older. If you have a young family then you don't have time for yourself. The next decade is all about them ...

• Like 1

You live in the wrong place and have the wrong job. 
Just out my backyard are 28 miles of great legal single track. Just hop on and go. 

I think this is the dream for us all!
  • Like 1

IMO if you don't have somewhere close to ride that you can get a quick hour in here and there then you will have to put it off till the kids are older. If you have a young family then you don't have time for yourself. The next decade is all about them ...

Finding this out the hard way and seems to be the general consensus. My new focus is to rent out my home and find some land to put small track on. No loading bike and driving should free up more time fore the nuggets. Trying live Steven Covey's Win/Win.