What is causing fuel starvation

Just rebuilt the carb on my 1980 Suzuki TS250 and when I took it apart I noticed the tab on the float that contacts the needle was bent in a way that would force the needle to close. I think the guy I bought the bike from did this in an attempt to stop gas from running all over his garage when he forgot to shut the pet cock off. The problem is that I wasn't getting gas to run down the fuel line fast enough to run the engine continuously. It usually will run for 4ish miles before it starts to chug and eventually die. So I tried to solve the problem... so I bent the tab flush with the rest of the bracket that holds the floats thinking this would allow the needle to separate from the seat and allow gas flow into the carb breaking the vacuum that is preventing the gas from flowing. However this did not fix the problem completely. I know there is no gas because I have a clear fuel filter installed. I am now wondering if I have an issue with the petcock not allowing gas to flow out or the carb is making a vacuum that won't allow gas to flow down the fuel line and reach the carb. The problem isn't the fuel filter restricting flow because there isn't gas getting into the filter. Also, I don't have a vacuum line attached to my petcock. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You need to set the float heigh to factory spec. Fuel level in the carb affects jetting greatly.

Lack of flow can be a clogged vent, clogged petcock or clogged fuel passageway in the carb.

Remove the fuel line from the carb and place it in a cleat quart jar. Open the petcock. It should fill the jar. If the flow stops. Try it with the gas cap removed. If that does not do it, then the petcock is clogged. If fuel flowed fine, then the carb is culprit.

• Like 2

take your tank off and swish the gas around (with the tank cap off) and then dump it out. look to see if there are rust particles.

take off your petcock and clean the filter of it.