Alternative shock 1986 honda xr250

I just sent out my rear shock for a rebuild. I got some bad news. What are my options here?  I tried searching around for an alternative shock and had no luck. Total cost to rebuild it as is with no warranty is $175. This will include polishing of the shaft, new seals and oil. 

IMG_4904[1].JPG

IMG_4905[1].JPG

i just talked to Bruce. A pure gentlemen. However, he has no more good parts and his shaft chrome guy is out of business.

• Like 1

I did a little reading and discovered that some have success filling pitting on chrome fork tubes with superglue or jb weld. Anybody ever heard of this working on shock  shafts?

14 hours ago, liberty2701 said:

i just talked to Bruce. A pure gentlemen. However, he has no more good parts and his shaft chrome guy is out of business.

Wow.  Sorry about that.  I would have sworn he would be able to help you out based upon all the old CR/XR stuff I saw at his shop a few years ago.

1 hour ago, liberty2701 said:

I will give them a call Monday. Thanks

Please let us know if they can help you and if the cost is reasonable.  I'll bet other riders may need such service.

I spoke with Racetech. They quoted me $200 to $250 to rechrome the shaft. That is not happening so it will be  reassembled as is and hope for the best. The shock company says they will dyno test it before it goes out to me. 

• Like 1

What size is the shaft?  tons of places to get perfectly good used shaft,,

i used 12.5mm shaft from a rowing machine to rebuild old twinshock XR ones......

• Like 1

The shock service co has the shock . Not sure of the size. I think it is a little more complex with the rebound adjuster at the end of the shaft.

13 hours ago, liberty2701 said:

I spoke with Racetech. They quoted me $200 to $250 to rechrome the shaft. That is not happening so it will be  reassembled as is and hope for the best. The shock company says they will dyno test it before it goes out to me. 

OUCH!  Thank you for sharing.

My 31-year-old Yamaha SRX600 has small rust pits in the fork tubes not unlike your shock shaft.  I used a razor blade to carefully level the surface and then polished it with Blue Magic metal polish.  I have no leakage I can detect so it seems to have worked very well for me.  However...  A shock operates under a far higher Delta-P due to the nitrogen pressure pad.  In that case the higher pressure may force fluid past the defects.

Be very careful with a razor blade as it WILL damage/gouge the surface if you are not careful.  Go ahead...  Ask me how I know!  I was so pleased with the smoothness I was feeling I got too aggressive and put a tiny nick in one of the tubes.  I then leveled the nick with the same razor blade and then polished it with 1,000 grit and metal polish.  No leak after a test ride.

Edited by VortecCPI