Permatex cure time for rear sprocket?

Hey all,

I have a new rear sprocket,cs sprocket and chain arriving from Fedex some time this evening. When looking up Locktite/Permatex cure times there seems to be some differences. The set time according to Autozone's web page for Permatex specs says 20mins. Some for Loctite say 24 hours. I'm going to be using the medium strength blue one. Assuming I get it all buttoned up tonight by 9pm...the cure time might be about 10-11 hours.

Is that long enough for a rear sprocket? Or should I just scrap riding this weekend since tomorrow is my only chance to?

• Like 2

WOW.  we seriously have someone about to scrap their easter long weekend of riding over the cure time of blue loctite in their rear sprocket bolts?!?!?

now ive seen it all.... wow.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

WOW.  we seriously have someone about to scrap their easter long weekend of riding over the cure time of blue loctite in their rear sprocket bolts?!?!?

now ive seen it all.... wow.

Relax.

I might have been giving up a ride for 2 hours on the one trail that was open tomorrow at my local place. Boring trail you can finish in 3mins. MX track closed for training, 2 other trails closed for storm damage. Raining on Sunday so it will be closed completely. I have seen enough stories of the rear sprocket coming off on these Huskys and taking out the swing arm, hub and rider. Not worth risking for some crappy 2 hour ride day.

So spare me the overly dramatic "WOW now ive seen it all.... wow" crap with the back of your hand slung against your forehead in despair.

You haven't seen sh!t

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

WOW.  ....now ive seen it all.... wow.

He was just asking a question he didn't know the answer to, be nice! :)

Never used locktight on them . If tight they don't come loose :thumbsup: but anyway ya locktight and go ride man :ride:

Edited by Motox367

I don't even use the stuff.  Sprocket bolts just require a few follow up torquings after the first few rides or until they stay tight.  Self locking hardware would be a solution if you are having issues.  Loctite is a poor solution in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

I don't even use the stuff.  Sprocket bolts just require a few follow up torquings after the first few rides or until they stay tight.  Self locking hardware would be a solution if you are having issues.  Loctite is a poor solution in my opinion.

I guess someone needs to call Husqvarna and tell them they're doing it wrong then. Straight from the manual:

"M8x1,25 (+LOCTITE 243) 34,3 Nm 3,5 Kgm 25.3 ft/lb" The nuts on the back don't have washers and they don't have the inner plastic locking inside the nut. Just straight metal with a flange on the nut. Without any thread locker they will back out after time.

• Like 2

You are way overthinking this and stressing about something that is so simple.  Put the darn blue loctite on and ride.  Its only a miniscule drop, it dries quickly.  Just make sure you check it later. ;)

• Like 1

I'm not stressing...just getting annoyed at the comments. I appreciate your input though since it was on topic. But you're correct on me overthinking it...never worried about it before...I've been reading too much about issues on the forums.

There are pages and pages like this...get's me overthinking it!

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 5.17.18 PM.png

• Like 2

Most of the aftermarket sprocket bolts you buy have tread locker pre installed on the treads and lock nuts. It was recommended to me by a few of the local racers to never reuse sprocket bolts after one of them destroyed his wheel/swingarm when reusing bolts on a brand new ktm and others had them come loose but caught it before anything was damaged, its a pretty common problem as you can see by the list of post about it above.

I'd ride 12 hours after installing the new sprocket with loctite on the bolts, I've reused sprocket bolts a couple times, I clean them good then put red loctite on them tho not blue. I've done this a bunch of times when using loctite, I install parts Friday night to go riding Saturday before lunch so far nothing has come loose on my bikes.

3 hours ago, Force10 said:

Relax.

I might have been giving up a ride for 2 hours on the one trail that was open tomorrow at my local place. Boring trail you can finish in 3mins. MX track closed for training, 2 other trails closed for storm damage. Raining on Sunday so it will be closed completely. I have seen enough stories of the rear sprocket coming off on these Huskys and taking out the swing arm, hub and rider. Not worth risking for some crappy 2 hour ride day.

So spare me the overly dramatic "WOW now ive seen it all.... wow" crap with the back of your hand slung against your forehead in despair.

You haven't seen sh!t

I just got back from a 400 mile ride at HM trails last week.  I discovered that I had lost three sprocket bolts and two more were loose when I got back and cleaned up the bike.  My fault for not checking or using poly nuts.  But install with correct hardware, adequate torque with Locktite and ride.  You'll be fine.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f67.jpg

• Like 1

I would never miss a ride over sprocket bolt cure times.  I am so addicted, it takes an aweful lot to keep me from riding my days off work.  Still, I have a couple riding buddies that will skip a ride for just the slightest of reasons.  I tell them to get their priorities in order!  They just laugh..LOL

• Like 2

If you're this excited about it bring some tools and check them during the ride.

Simply tightening them and rechecking them after the first ride has worked for me many times.  Loctite is no substitute for a proper torquing process and these things seem prone to seating in a bit once they have been run.  Loctite essentially prevents re-torquing.  I could not care less if Husky recommends it.  Husky was too cheap to spec nyloc nuts.

• Like 1

I just replaced my rear rim/spokes on the OEM hub. I pulled the sprocket/disk to clean and make truing the rim easier IMO.

My OEM service manual is very specific where to use loctite, grease etc and there was no reference to use loctite for these bolts/nuts.

With that said, the nuts on my bike are self locking but the bolts were really corroded so cleaned them all really well with cleaner and a small wire brush and used anti-seize. I don't use a torque wrench  but I'm checking all of them after the first ride today.

Edited by filterx

I use the double wrench method and put the hurts to the sproket nuts in a star pattern in a couple force increments.

Pay no mind to this guy using double wrenches to break loose a 12ft/lb 6mm bolt...LOL

Locking-Wrenches-for-Leverage.jpg

Edited by wielywilly-g
  • Like 2

There are circumstances where Loctite is needed, but I personally don't use it on sprocket bolts.

Don't let Loctite lure you into a false sense of security. 

If the bolts are not torqued to yield, Loctite will not stop the shuffling, then the eventual shearing process from happening.

Tighten them, and check them regularly.

• Like 1