Electric Start

Is it super expensive or even possible to install an electric start on a 2007 CRF 450R?Killed it today on a rough/muddy track and after kicking about a 100 kicks ended up pushing it about a 1/4 mile back to base,not easy when you're 63 damned years old and 250 lbs.?Of course there was a guy parked next to me with a brand new KTM 450 with electric start,I was jealous as hell.

17 hours ago, piratediverjefff said:

Is it super expensive or even possible to install an electric start on a 2007 CRF 450R?Killed it today on a rough/muddy track and after kicking about a 100 kicks ended up pushing it about a 1/4 mile back to base,not easy when you're 63 damned years old and 250 lbs.?Of course there was a guy parked next to me with a brand new KTM 450 with electric start,I was jealous as hell.

I've never seen It done.  Sell It and buy a 2017 CRF450RX or a KTM. ?

• Like 1

If I had your money I'd just throw mine away bro.?I must've flooded the crap out of it yesterday when trying to restart it,put a new plug in it this morning and the one I took out was a little black and still wet with gas.Looking back I think I should've done a little research on the different models of 450's and probably have gone with something with electric start,seems the R version can be a little temperamental/high maintenance for my needs(at my age/weight/inexperience it's not like I actually needed the race version?).Oh well,I'm into it for $4,000 now including the suspension work,new tires,Pro Moto kick stand,etc. so will just learn to live with it for a while.?

6 hours ago, piratediverjefff said:

If I had your money I'd just throw mine away bro.?I must've flooded the crap out of it yesterday when trying to restart it,put a new plug in it this morning and the one I took out was a little black and still wet with gas.Looking back I think I should've done a little research on the different models of 450's and probably have gone with something with electric start,seems the R version can be a little temperamental/high maintenance for my needs(at my age/weight/inexperience it's not like I actually needed the race version?).Oh well,I'm into it for $4,000 now including the suspension work,new tires,Pro Moto kick stand,etc. so will just learn to live with it for a while.?

My money?  I'm "motorcycle stupid" and have none bro. ?

• Like 1

Same here brother,I have about $18K in my Hayabusa and just spent my life's savings of $5K on the 450R+some gear,and still drive a 25 year old Wrangler(have owned it for 17 years)with 271K miles...other than that I really don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of,but I do love my motorsickles.?

• Like 1

Is it super expensive or even possible to install an electric start on a 2007 CRF 450R?Killed it today on a rough/muddy track and after kicking about a 100 kicks ended up pushing it about a 1/4 mile back to base,not easy when you're 63 damned years old and 250 lbs.[emoji38]Of course there was a guy parked next to me with a brand new KTM 450 with electric start,I was jealous as hell.

I have an 05 and remember seeing a starter in the microfiche when searching parts online, but,you realize, it would require changing your cases to accommodate a starter an some sort of ring gear assembly.
It's not going to be cheap but it would be great to have the magic button
  • Like 1

Yeah once you have the procedure down for your bike it gets easy fast. If it stays an issue check your float level and jets. My float was off and causing me to stall more than I should have and made it extremely hard to start once hot.

Apparently it's possible to put a crf450x motor with the "magic button" in your r chassis but that'd be expensive and you'd have to mount a battery somewhere and deal with all the associated swap stuff. I was thinking about that before I fixed my carb issues. Starts hot on second kick now

Edited by jblob
  • Like 1

Once I get a consistent technique down I think I'll be fine;started it today on 5th kick when cold/let it warm up/shut it off for a 1/2 hour/then started it up again on the 1st kick.

If you dial that carb in with a JD jet kit, RD powerbowl and AP mod and you will get it down to 1-3 kicks...my Kawi was 1-2 consistently and I just did my stepsons 07 CRF 450 and it's at 3 max.

• Like 3

I determined long ago that kick starting a bike was for poor people. E start is vastly superior. You don't see any cars made with kick starters, because the civilized public wouldn't put up with it.

Yes but luckily you don't see cars running the single track trails or trying to nail the doubles at your local track
Unless you do
And if you do,I want videos!
Lol
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Leardriver said:

I determined long ago that kick starting a bike was for poor people. E start is vastly superior. You don't see any cars made with kick starters, because the civilized public wouldn't put up with it.

I'm gonna source up those parts...and how far are you from Corona bro?!