CR80 fork swap on crf150f

My question on this is for you guys that have done this on the '06 and up 150f with the electric start. When you put on the 85 tripple clamps, what did you do with the key switch since there is no mount on the 85 clamps?

• Like 1

Lol yeah I was thinking that, kinda hoping for something not elegant. I was actually thinking of just replacing the key switch and wiring in a straight on/off switch I could just mount to the handle bar. I use the key as the kill button anyways and would keep me from forgetting to turn the key off and killing the battery.

The key switch if you leave on does not drain battery. It is like another kill switch.on one of my 230s no more key switch just on all the time no battery drain. On the other Key switch two zip ties to upper triple clamp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

The key switch if you leave on does not drain battery. It is like another kill switch.on one of my 230s no more key switch just on all the time no battery drain. On the other Key switch two zip ties to upper triple clamp.

Agreed.  I have left my key in the "On" position for months and the BikeMaster Li-Io battery still easily cranked for oil and then startup.

I put a 230F key switch on my CRF250X and fabbed a mount like Ramz posted on his site, but used aluminum instead of plastic.  You can also make a bracket from aluminum plate that mounts to the handle bar mounts, I did that for a Vapor mount.  (The 230F switch has four wires and controls engine stop and power for the start circuit.)

My X has a LiFe battery and I store it for six months a year wo a trickle charger, and the starts right up at the end of storage.

11 minutes ago, Jetster220 said:

Conversion done. 85 forks on and looking good.

IMG_20170427_213838317.jpg

Nice, can we see a shot or two of the handlebars/hand guards/triple clamp?

• Like 1

I'll have to get more tom. Triple tree is stock cr85 except for the custom steering stem that had to be made.

IMG_20170427_210108265.jpg

IMG_20170427_201132669.jpg

Edited by Jetster220
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Jetster220 said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to modify the steering stops so the forks don't hit the gas tank?

For applicable steering stop mods---I've heeerd tell that you can either fab a simple flat metal bar to bolt on where the (CDI?) box sits on the front of the steering stem area, or weld on extensions to the existing stop rods that are already welded(?) to the stock frame.  [Mount the displaced (CDI?) box under the fuel tank as needed.]  Bonus:  zip-tie (use 4 or 5? for stability/durability) the key switch to the frame-mounted cable guide rod on the left front side of the frame---OR---fab a simple flat, L-shaped metal mount with a hole that fits the snap-in key switch, and mount to left side fuel tank mount bolt. I likes keepin my key switch.

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1