Cr250 cylinder cracked

Hey guys,

I was tearing down my 03 Cr250 today to rebuild the top end since it still had the oem piston from the factory in it. When I got done checking everything out and cleaning the gasket area I grabbed my hone and proceeded to give the cylinder a light scuff. Looked at it and saw a crack in the exhaust bridge. What would you guys suggest at this point and what causes this crack to happen?

Thank you!

IMAG0626.jpg

Edited by cerialsledder

is it just the plating that's cracked or the aluminum behind there as well ? I don't think your ball hone had anything to do with it but next time I would just use scotch brite or similar. I think diamond hones is what plating shops normally use, so your hone probly didn't do any good anyways

6 hours ago, md30 said:

How many hours do you have on that top end?

Well, after taking the motor apart and seeing the original number number stamped in the base gasket and judging for how hard it was for me to separate the cylinder from the case I'm going to have to say it has never been rebuilt.  The piston had no number markings on it which leads me to believe it was original from the factory.  When I get a moment I will post pics of the rings and you can judge.   I guess on a positive note I don't really have to worry about someone else's hands being in the motor.

7 hours ago, husq250 said:

is it just the plating that's cracked or the aluminum behind there as well ? I don't think your ball hone had anything to do with it but next time I would just use scotch brite or similar. I think diamond hones is what plating shops normally use, so your hone probly didn't do any good anyways

I couldn't tell and I didn't look down the port with a light to see.  A friend of mine told me to call Millennium and do an exhange.  

• Like 1

I called Millennium and it will cost $274.00 plus shipping have them repair the cylinder and replate it.   I found online from partzilla a brand new cylinder for $324.00 plus I have a coupon  code to get more off and also anything over $149 ships free.   I think the only thing extra I would have to order would be the head studs to install into the new cylinder or remove the old ones from my old cylinder and reuse those and also need an oil seal for the power valve shaft.  So for around 300 bucks I can have a new cylinder, new studs and new oil seal instead of paying 274 + 40 bucks just shipping to there and return so why not skip millennium and go with new unless there is something I am missing with millennium?

Edited by cerialsledder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cerialsledder said:

I called Millennium today and it will cost $274.00 plus shipping have them repair the cylinder and replate it.   I found online from partzilla a brand new cylinder for $324.00 plus I have a coupon  code to get more off and also anything over $149 ships free.   I think the only thing extra I would have to order would be the head studs to install into the new cylinder or remove the old ones from my old cylinder and reuse those and also need an oil seal for the power valve shaft.  So for around 300 bucks I can have a new cylinder, new studs and new oil seal instead of paying 274 + 40 bucks just shipping to there and return so why not skip millennium and go with new unless there is something I am missing with millennium?

That's exactly what I just went thru myself. I ended up purchasing a new cylinder from Partzilla. For ~10% premium over a refurbished one, it seemed like a no brainer to me.

One thing that wears that I don't think people take into consideration, is the powervalve shaft space in the cylinder itself. It may not be a worry for 2-5 year old bikes. But our CR's are approaching 15+ years old now. This was another factor that led me towards a new cylinder.

• Like 1