2015 250FX Sensor Issues

This post is for those that may experience problems in the future and hopefully help with getting to the bottom of the issue faster than I did.

On a 4 day, 700 mile, camp and ride in the Ozarks my FX started detonating and back firing at mid to high RPM. We had 9 creek crossings in a row and I'm glad that it started before the first one we crossed. This helped eliminate the possibility of a water issue as some crossings were extremely deep. It cleared after a few miles only to come back. I had filled up first thing that morning so the thought was that I could possibly have water in my fuel. I poured some additive in the tank to help with the possible water. No dice. It did seem to get better after the bike sat and cooled, or maybe it was just a coincidence. At one point I could only keep it running if the choke was on. It would not idle.

Once back home after my trip I started researching for the possible cause. From what I had read it seems that it was possibly a TPS issue. I ordered a TPS. As I waited on the TPS to arrive I put my tuner on the bike and it did not show a code. I repeat, no codes. When the TPS arrived I found that the TPS is easily set up with the tuner. Just set the tuner in Monitor-Normal and look at the TP reading. It shows what percentage the throttle is opened. With the throttle closed just set at zero. Easy peasy. Started it up. No difference. But at least I got a code. Two actually. Codes 13 and 12. 13 is air intake sensor and 12 is crank sensor. I knew 12 was BS so I moved to check out 13. Sensor wiring was good. I twisted the throttle wide open and held during starting. Code cleared so it wasn't that. By chance I just so happened to have a fuel pressure sensor that I kept in the tank bag. I took a chance and changed it out. The fuel pressure sensor corrected the issues. So I would advise anyone with an FX to have a fuel pressure sensor handy. And from what I have read, I am not the only one that has had an issue with this sensor.