2012 WR450F Fuel Filter After 300+ Hours (pics)

So, being Easter weekend and having two little girls there will be no riding for me. I took this opportunity to do some maintenance, one of which was to check/replace the fuel filter. I have been having e-starting issues for a while and have verified that my battery is good, but the starter winding insulation was going bad resulting in a week starter. I have replaced the starter and all "seems" to be good, but without a real ride it's hard to know for sure. Since that real ride won't happen for another week I decided to go through a few other things on the bike and thought you guys would like to see what a fuel filter with 302 hours on it looks like. This has been run on 100% premium pump gas.

43D7857C-5DA3-49D3-BF32-746E5F00BD50_zps

E6F265E6-3F84-4DFE-BF31-9D888004F68D_zps

9A275F4B-A0CC-447B-B261-28EF1E4D043B_zps

8FE4FCA2-1F21-499A-A3DC-10313F265821_zps

To me it doesn't look that bad, but I don't have a new one to compare it to (nor can I find any on google). It was a pain to get the plastic housing of the pump apart with all it's plastic clips and I don't want to have to get back in here any time soon. I was going to just replace the filter for piece of mind since I am in here, but I can't seem to find one available. It looks like Yamaha just sells the whole pump assembly and not individual parts. Has anyone replaced their fuel filter on a fuel injected Yamaha before?

Edited by woods-rider
  • Like 1

Doesn't look bad? 

It's supposed to be WHITE not black.

It's filthy, and is probably impeading fuel flow.

You can back flush it with solvent to clean it, or you can just replace it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221957067565?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

If you are using pump gas without FILTERING and TREATING the fuel, you are comtaminating the fuel system, which is dependent on clean fuel for lubrication and to be able to adequately atomize your fuel.  You should not pour straight fuel into the tank. It needs to have the large contaminates filtered out.

Then you have to treat the gas for possible hydroscopic action (from enthanol) using Pri-g, Torco, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pri+g

You should also pull the injector and pressure clean it.

19 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Doesn't look bad? 

It's supposed to be WHITE not black.

It's filthy, and is probably impeading fuel flow.

You can back flush it with solvent to clean it, or you can just replace it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221957067565?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

If you are using pump gas without FILTERING and TREATING the fuel, you are comtaminating the fuel system, which is dependent on clean fuel for lubrication and to be able to adequately atomize your fuel.  You should not pour straight fuel into the tank. It needs to have the large contaminates filtered out.

Then you have to treat the gas for possible hydroscopic action (from enthanol) using Pri-g, Torco, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pri+g

You should also pull the injector and pressure clean it.

Isn't the black just the filter media showing through the white casing when it's soaked with fuel? I haven't cut mine open to check because I have not been able to find a replacement. Shouldn't all of the "junk" be stuck to the outside of the filter? Do you have a picture of a new (gas saturated) filter or a cut open used or new one to compare to Krannie? I would be really interested to see that.

I haven't strained or "treated" my pump gas in the 20 years that I have been riding and I'm not about to start now, especially since I have never personally seen any issues with pump gas unless you let it sit for more than 3 months, which I never do.

I would replace this filter if I could find just a filter to buy, but they all seem to only come with a fuel pump for $40+

That Mr. Funnel filter video is a bit ridiculous. If pump gas is so bad then why don't they just filter pump gas to show all the contaminants in it? Instead they add an absurd amount of crap to it, then they never show a close up of the bottom of the filtered fuel. I have no doubt that it works, I just question now necessary it is for pump gas for off road motorcycles.

As for flushing the pump and injector, I don't see the need for that. The OEM filter has been in place the whole time and does not appear to be damaged. This makes me think that nothing larger than what Yamaha intended has reached either of them. Plus, I have no symptoms of either one going bad.

Edited by woods-rider
  • Like 1

Do what you want then. 
I'm out.

Have you ever replace this style of fuel filter from a dirt bike? It doesn't seem like anyone has, probably because replacements aren't readily available/easy to find.

Well, I just put it back in since I couldn't find a replacement without buying the pump. Seems to start and run just fine still.

I just went through the same process. Bike was running poorly.

I ordered a pump and filter from Caltric in California.   

https://www.caltric.com/

Kit was $19 and shipping was $10 to Canada.

Installed both, and the bike issues have disappeared. Runs and starts like like new.. 

Cheap fix

• Like 1

I just went through the same process. Bike was running poorly.
I ordered a pump and filter from Caltric in California.   
https://www.caltric.com/
Kit was $19 and shipping was $10 to Canada.
Installed both, and the bike issues have disappeared. Runs and starts like like new.. 
Cheap fix

Got any pictures of the clean and dirty filters?

3 hours ago, Darc McKeown said:

Old on the right

New one on the left

1494510393485300069551.jpg

You didn't happen to soak the new filter in gas and then take a picture of it, did you? I am wondering if there is any immediate color change (like being able to see the plastic frame through the filter) when soaked in gas.

What was the brand of fuel pump that they sent you? When I tried searching that site for WR450F parts, all it returned was a battery.

Edited by woods-rider