Trying to keep this simple... I currently have a pretty much stock 02 KX250.   Considering trading it for a 94 XR600.  Mostly do trail riding but the big thing here is looking for what bike will ultimately hold it's value longer.  Are they an even trade (assuming both in good condition) or am I taking a hit ?

If u do more single track, I'd keep the kx. If Fire roads, or dual sporting is your thing get the xr6. They are within a couple hundred dollars in price in my area, kx being worth more.

Have you ridden the XR? Its a totally different riding experience than your KX, or any 2t 250.

Dirt bikes are for riding, not for resale value. Any bike could be totalled on any ride. Own and ride what you like, because you like it. 

• Like 1

I would have to agree. They are not even close to being similar classes of bikes. Think about what you want to do, riding wise, and choose from there.

• Like 2

The kx can be converted to a street legal bike pretty easy.  At least here in colorado you can.  I would keep the 250.  It has more power, better suspension, lighter.  Only downsides would be it has more upkeep then a xr and you can use gas from the pump if you would choose to convert it for street use.  Meaning you have to mix it.  But proper preparation would mean you are fine.  

You might consider making that 250 a 300 and adding a fly wheel weight and get a taste at what all those ktm 300 guys are talking about.

Edited by Ringo25