RM250 shock on DR650?

I'm looking at upgrading the awful rear shock on my DR650. I would rather not pay $700+ as I don't tear it up off road, just want a better ride with improved rebound etc. I recently saw an ad for a DR and the guy said he had an RM250 shock on it. Does this sound reasonable? Any other shocks fit the DR that you know of?

Nothing is a direct bolt on from another bike. And most any of them will need a stiffer spring to deal with the DR's weight.

Best value would be to respring the DR and either have Cogent revalve the stock shock or go with Race Tech's DIY valve kit. Up front Cogent DDCs oe Race Tech Emulators.

• Like 1

Yes, it sucks.  But have you done any work on the forks yet?  The level of work you do on one end needs to be repeated on the other.  No sense in doing a serious upgrade on the shock and leaving the forks stock.  You'd be surprised at what just a set of heavier fork springs and thicker oil alone will do to the DR's forks.  And if your not loading the bike down with a serious adventure ride in mind you might be able to leave the shock alone ~ possibly even leave the stock spring alone.  That's all I did (forks: heavier springs & oil, shock: stiffen up the spring preload).  For a asphalt road and gravel road bike, with those settings, I'm actually pretty happy.  At 175 pounds I hardly ever bottom it out and I've got it set on "factory low".

• Like 1

I've done work on a lot of other areas of the bike but still stock suspension all around.   I'm 225 and the rear end is sagging.  But I don't load it down too bad and it rides great on the road.  Basically I don't like to do something halfway and find out I needed to do more, so I usually err on doing more than necessary, but dang are those new shocks expensive.  

I'n the future, I'm going to get a woods bike anyway so I'm starting to think that emulators and spring upgrades are the way to go - front and rear.  I'm not an really aggressive rider either, so the fact that I don't load the bike up for cross country adventures and mainly like day or multi-day trips is something I need to keep in mind.  Eventually the TAT but I still won't load it down too much as I have some fairly light weight gear.

I didn't want to pass up on the chance for some cheaper upgrades that were more easily adjustable.  So I guess new springs all around!

• Like 1