Considering purchasing 2007 CRF250x

I just went look at a 2007 CRF250x, appears to be a low hours bike, good condition.  I am selling my XR400 today.  The 250 felt like a much lighter than the 30 pounds advertised dry weight difference.  What concerns me is maintenance.  Adjusting the valves looks like a real pain, especially compared to my XR.  

I need real world examples of how much work this bike is going to take to maintain.  I don't ride that much maybe 40-50 hours of actual riding per season because I am just getting back into riding after 20 years with out a bike.

Anything I need to be aware of while considering this.  I was really looking for a 2 stroke like a KTM 200 but can't find any in my price range or near by.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Know a guy named Highmarker with this bike. His is an 06 and he's ridden it 11 years now. It has well over 5,000 off road miles on it. He's replaced the piston a few times and one crank too (drowned bike once). He may have replaced the cylinder too. As preventative maintenance I believe he replaced whole head with new SS valves and had the seats cut too. No real drama IMO. Most of the nightmares you read about were the pre-06 250X or 250R models that spent lots of time bouncing off the rev limiter. 

Good thing is that OEM parts are very plentiful and cheaper than aftermarket. 

Thanks, so trail riding like I will be doing won't put that much wear and year on the engine. That is good news, anything I should be wary of for that year?

3 minutes ago, newstylecustoms said:

Thanks, so trail riding like I will be doing won't put that much wear and year on the engine. That is good news, anything I should be wary of for that year?

It's said that another valve improvement came out in 2008 so you could switch your head to that for about $300 if you have valve problems. I'd definitely observe the air box interior. If any dirt then talk him down using this rationale. 

I'm on my second '07 CRF250X and not real complaint about the bike. Yes you can get a much lighter newer bike but for the time the cost and the longevity in design isn't there like it is with the 250x. Checking valves is really easy one you do it once, takes me 10-15 mom's to check them and only about 25-30 to shim if needed.

I did do a rebuild (new cases, crank, piston, cylinder, seals etc) but that was due to my own screw up not the bike. I ran it on the hwy and blew the motor.

They are great bikes, I wouldn't hesitate on getting one.

• Like 1

The owner's manual is a great resource.  I have an 05 and 3 years ago one intake started receeding. Local racer who wrenches said just replace with a stock valve and ride, no different than replacing rings.  Engine has a Nikasil plated bore that will outlast many ring sets and pistons. Mine was still good, the piston was still in spec and the ring end gaps were near their limit. I found a low hour 09 top end for a good price so used that plus a new timing chain.

IMO the X is a far better handling bike than any XR I have ridden, to me it has a very planted feel and is easy to ride fast. A worthy replacement for the XR. If you ride tight technical, which I doubt if you ride a XR400R, the short wheelbase and light weight of the 84-85 XR250R is better, or the 86-91 XR200R (same chassis but much lighter).

Thanks for helping me understand. It sounds like the need to rebuild has been exaggerated. I like the idea of the of the xr200 but I know I would feel compelled to update the suspension and end up in the middle of another project I don't have time for.

Edited by newstylecustoms

I went to look at this bike again and tried to make a deal, didn't happen today.  But for my information the valve train seemed very noisy.  I understand that more gap is much better that no gap when adjusting valves but does that cause any damage on these bikes if they are ran out of spec for a while as long as they are not too tight?

I have not given up on this bike quite yet I just don't feel comfortable paying what they are asking.