'16 KTM 250SX vs '17 KTM 250XC or 300XC

Hey guys. I am looking at getting my first two stroke bike. I have been looking at both the 2017 250XC and 300XC, and have been leaning more towards the 300 for the enduro off road riding that I have been doing on my 4 strokes. I have always wanted a two stroke and I think the 300 sounds like it makes very usable power for enduro and trail riding.

However the 300 is around $9100, and now I just found a 2016 250SX for around $5000 that says it is used, but looks like it was never ridden. Sounds like it might have just been a showroom model.

At nearly half the price is it worth it to loose the advances of the 2017 models? Can the 2016 be upgraded to the 300 motor? Seems like I have read about this.

What do you guys think. The 2016 looks pretty sweet as well, just didn't know if it would be worth it vs the new model.

Thanks

Greebe

The 16 will vibrate more, 5spd, no e-start and have the horrible 4cs forks. With money and time, you can get the 16 pretty dam good but...the 17 is more of a complete package, have forks you can ride right off the showroom floor, have the 6spd, lighting capabilities and e-start. You cannot add those things to the 16 250sx... 

monk said it best.  Also:

SX has a different head and CDI which is built for high revving MX power (might be a handful in the woods)

SX has the small tank while the XC comes with the bigger tank stock.

SX has the 4cs forks in 2016, which are widely regarded as crap.

You may spend more coin up front on the 300 XC, but the resale will be much higher than a converted SX.

also yes if you wanted to make a 250 a 300, I think all you need is a 300 cylinder and piston. Lots of folks on here have converted their 250's to 300's on here.  Surprisingly a lot of people like the high revving power of the 250 better than the lugging 300 when it comes to quicker lap times and enjoyment factor.  

To each their own I say.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I would be better off with the 2017 300xc. However I am now finding that the 2017 two strokes are pretty much out of stock for the year. So now I am faced with a dilemma. Get the '16 250sx or maybe not get anything this year. Was hoping you guys would say the 2016 250sx would be a pretty good bike. Not sure what to do as I was really wanting to get a 2 stroke bike this year and get off my four stroke.

You should find a way to ride a 17 300 XC or XC-W. I really like mine, but only you can decide. The 250SX is a good bike, but its a MX bike, not a woods bike. You can convert it, but and it can be a better woods bike, but it will never be as specialized as a 250 or 300 XCW.

The two stroke woods bikes always get scarce this time of year. Last year at this time (well March) I put down a deposit to get a '17 300 XCW, it came in to the dealer in August.

4 hours ago, Greebe said:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I would be better off with the 2017 300xc. However I am now finding that the 2017 two strokes are pretty much out of stock for the year. So now I am faced with a dilemma. Get the '16 250sx or maybe not get anything this year. Was hoping you guys would say the 2016 250sx would be a pretty good bike. Not sure what to do as I was really wanting to get a 2 stroke bike this year and get off my four stroke.

300 XC can be hard to find.  I had to put down a deposit in August to reserve my '17 in October.  Dealer got 2 in, mine and the other were already sold before the bikes even got to the dealer.  KTM doesn't make enough of them to meet demand.

Edited by redrider144

The 17 250XC and XC-W are easier to find than the 300's and are great bikes, also cold be converted to a 300 if you wanted.

5k is a good deal. Spring forks are more reliable and ive ridden some really good 4cs... People like to hate on those forks because it's the cool thing to do but they're fine for the woods.

You can really pimp the sx out for the $4K difference and it will make a killer lightweight woods bike. You could do full suspension, tank, plates, guards, etc, for less than that.. 

Everyone I know with an xc turns the engine into an sx. Vibration is really not bad at all..

6th gear and e start is a real advantage competitively if your racing but that's about it..

Edited by Casing-daily

If you can save $4100 up front you could easily have just as good of a machine if you're willing to dump some money into the 2016 right away.

$5000 for the bike, ~$500 to rework the suspension (Protune), ~$400 for the 300 kit (once you sell the unused 250 cylinder/head/cdi) and you could probably find someone to swap an XC tank with an SX tank pretty easily.

All of that with still a likely ~$3000 savings. And you get a bike with suspension properly dialed in for your weight and conditions. My Protune 4CS forks are as good as anything i've ever tested. That includes good WP CC forks and SSS forks on a YZ125. IMO once out and about riding you'll never notice the vibration difference.

• Like 1

I never understood the nostalgia of owing the 300xc, it's not a better bike then the 250xc. The 250xc has  a smoother less aggressive off the bottom motor that pulls farther, the 300 dumps it load too quick and too soon and then signs off... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I never understood the nostalgia of owing the 300xc, it's not a better bike then the 250xc. The 250xc has  a smoother less aggressive off the bottom motor that pulls farther, the 300 dumps it load too quick and too soon and then signs off... 

Don't you know that bigger is better. Come on, got to feed that ego. Me man me ride big bike, grunt grunt. Lemmings mentality, everyone has one so it must be the right bike for me.

Im not saying 300s are bad . For high elevation i can see the extra power coming in handy. For most guys a 250 is more bike then they will ever need, a 300 can be overkill. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. The reason I was looking at the 300xc is because everyone says that the lower RPM power is better.  Having a bigger number on the bike has nothing to do with it, and is not an ego type of thing for me, so the attitude is really not necessary. The 250SX is a good deal, but I think I am actually leaning towards possibly getting a Beta Xtrainer instead. The price is about $2000 less then the 300XC and the XT sounds like it might be better for the tight woods and more technical trials type of riding that I enjoy. Everyone that has one seems to really love them and it also seem that guys are going from KTM to the Beta's which must mean they are pretty nice.

Edited by Greebe

3 minutes ago, Greebe said:

Thanks everyone. The reason I was looking at the 300xc is because everyone says that the lower RPM end power is better.  Having a bigger number on the bike has nothing to do with it, at is not an ego type of thing for me, so the attitude is really not necessary. The 250SX is a good deal, but I think I am actually leaning towards possibly getting a Beta Xtrainer instead. The price is about $2000 less then the 300XC and the XT sounds like it might be better for the tight woods and more technical trials type of riding that I enjoy. Everyone that has one seems to really love them and it also seem that guys are going from KTM to the Beta's which must mean they are pretty nice.

'they' need a 450 then... 

Still debating about the 250sx. The dealer was going to let me try it out, but it was raining really hard and their track was pure mud.  I am going to try to go out in the next few days and see if I can ride it.  Not sure if I should just go with this bike or the Beta Xtrainer. If I get the Xtrainer I will have to wait till later this summer until I refinance my house, if I go for the 250sx I could swing it this week. Maybe buy the 250sx now and still get the Xtrainer this fall? Hmmm, both would be better then one right. Hehe, the wife actually suggested that.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, Greebe said:

I had a 12 250sx and thought it was a GREAT woods bike.  I thought it had the most linear motor I've ever been on up until rpm hit the stratosphere where I rarely ever go.  IF the forks are stock be prepared for some valving, 1k gets em done right.

get a tank and an 18 inch wheel and go riding

5000 bike + 200 tank+ 1000 valving+ 200 18 inch wheel= 6400

however, for 6400 you can get a dandy used ktm that MIGHT have the suspension already done for you.  I paid 6200 for a 16 250xcw with few hours on it.

On April 17, 2017 at 2:12 PM, GreenMT_Rider said:

Don't you know that bigger is better. Come on, got to feed that ego. Me man me ride big bike, grunt grunt. Lemmings mentality, everyone has one so it must be the right bike for me.

Im not saying 300s are bad . For high elevation i can see the extra power coming in handy. For most guys a 250 is more bike then they will ever need, a 300 can be overkill. 

Ya, IMO the only time a 300 is needed is for a high altitude woods bike to pull the wide ratio tranny.

My sx get crushed on long straights/fire roads, everywhere else I have no complaints.