Campfire intro

This group here at the 230 Thumper sets the standard of how all sub forums should be. Experience, knowledge, willing to help. But more than this. We have a sort of campfire mentality as if a group of friends hanging around a campfire talking about our interest, specifically our bikes, mods, troubleshooting, etc. I would enjoy learning more about those individuals who frequent here, whom I have read their post for over a year now. Maybe the Mods will allow us to keep it here. Give it some thought, whether you want to participate, what you might share. Some thoughts are Age, hobbys, past hobbys, married, profession, kids, anything your proud of, life lesson learned, etc. Many will find common interest and would like to respond. I ask that we allow an amount of time that the beginning post are not mainly responses but rather allow a chance for others to introduce themselves. 

• Like 4

Good idea 1gr8bldr.  I've always been annoyed with the forums that require you to post an intro before you can do anything else.  I prefer to get to know the regulars in there and the tone of the forum before I bother to emotionally invest myself. :)  But I can say that I really like this group and agree that we do have a campfire feel around here. 

So despite the fact that 1gr8bldr SHOULD have gone first with the intro, I guess I'll get started.

I'm 40, married with two kids.  My boy and girl are both 8.  I was raised in SW Arizona and due to my job, have moved around quite a bit since my early 20s.  I'm currently back in the desert and loving it here in southern New Mexico.  Hobbies include anything outdoor related but camping and hiking probably top the list.  I also tend to get out shooting as often as I can.  I've got a pretty diverse set of past or at least inactive hobbies as well.  I've got a pilot's license but haven't flown in years.  I spent several years skydiving and BASE jumping.  While living in Florida, I was a very active SCUBA diver.  SCUBA and flying are the two that I'm most wanting to get back to some day. 

I'm an engineer by trade (BS in Mechanical Engineering and MS in Systems Engineering) and tend to work in the aerospace industry.  It's interesting and fun but very little hands on.  Tinkering in the garage is where I get to "nerd-out" on some of my engineering ideas.  One of these days, I'm looking forward to retiring, getting a full size adventure bike (currently lusting over a KTM 1190 Adventure R), and just disappearing for months at a time.

Edited by baglock1
  • Like 4

Awesome!  I am all in...  But I need some time with my wife so I will happily add to this new topic tomorrow!

In the mean time...  50 years old and have been on two wheels (or a track and skis), with or without IC, since I can remember...

I suppose if  I want to learn about you all that I should respond as well. I'm 51, married to a wonderful wife, 3 kids, 22,19 and 16, two boys. Carpenter by trade but evolved into general contractor. I enjoy building things. It's my passion, yet a few recent OCD homeowners have me wanting to go back to the harder yet simple lifestyle (: I  go from one hobby to the next, not able to multitask different hobbys.   I enjoy the outdoors. I hate crowds, I don't watch much TV but rather search out something on the net that interest me. I am no longer good at relaxing. Seems I am too busy to slow down. Always a line of broken things waiting. Yet I get satisfaction out of fixing things. Learning as I go, since I have no real experience as a mechanic. Hobby's I still spend time on,  fishing, hunting, plinking, archery, and dirtbikes.  I only started riding just over a year ago, attempting to spend some time with my son before he outgrows me. A little late in life to start dirtbikes but enjoying it. I much prefer technical riding over speed, being honest, because I can't afford to get hurt...  I see technical riding as safer.  I spent several years in the pursuit of trophy catfish. Been there done that. Probably 60 fish over 50 pounds, my biggest 72. My custom built by me, 24ft SeaArk with 150 jet sits for a year at a time without moving, yet is ready if I so decide to run the river. LOL, except this morning, Rather than turkey hunt, I decided on a short fishing trip to fish  the spring run of American shad. But loaded it back up after seeing that the water pump was not peeing. I have an old house we call the cabin that I bought for almost nothing, fixed it up,  that sits adjacent to my hunting lease, bordering a major river,  where we hunt,  fish and ride. Blessed to have this lease since 1988.  I have never been on a "hunting trip" as many do but rather prefer the challenge of growing my own herd. I have taken 3, trophies to me, scoring mid 140's. I rarely pull the trigger, nor even carry a gun, most times preferring the thrill of carrying a traditional recurve bow. Typical weekend warrior. At 51, sometimes I feel like I am 65, aches and pains, yet have the mentality of 30. I need to grow up. I call myself a sophisticated redneck. Not to much interested in politics, grew up Baptist, come from a large family, lots of aunts, uncles, most all living local.  Life is good yet has not been without health crisis. I check every day to see the ongoing conversation here at TT. It helps to clear my head, to unwind. 

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 3

Oh boy, where to start and not make this too long... 24 year old kid, yet to have a gf, started riding when I was 7, but didn't get serious until I met some more riding friends about 10 years ago. That is about when I started buying, fixing, riding, and selling dirt bikes (and street bikes). I'm very thankful for my father who helped me get started and that he still has the patience to answer any question I may have. I've lost count how many bikes I've owned, but I've learned a lot from it and know exactly what I want in a bike, which is also why I regularly check this forum now like the rest of y'all. 

I went to tech school for cnc machining, which is what I've been doing since 2012. It's nice to be able to make my own parts when needed (would love to have a couple machines of my own some day). I've lived in a sub-rural area of MN my whole life and have no plans to leave, even though the winters here are..... I'll just stop there...

Bowling and baseball were my sports in high school, aside from riding. I enjoy mountain biking, football, and love slalom skiing (we have the lakes here, and water is starting to warm up now). The more I trail ride, the more I enjoy it. I have a supermoto for commuting and tooling around town, as well as a weestrom for the longer riding days and trips. If I ever get a month or two off from work (haha) I would love to travel the country on my street bike since I have siblings/cousins in multiple states.

I started drag racing last year in the bike class. Upgraded to a faster bike this year, so I'm looking forward to that (local bracket series starts next month).

Oh yes, I do love aviation as well. Been to Oshkosh airshow numerous times. My old man was a skydiver for a few years, and recently bought a kitfox (taildragger) to put together, but that may or may not happen as family takes up most of the time.

We have some property with about 15 acres of woods that I started making tight single-track on. Been doing that off and on since 2007. Probably up to around 2 miles now.

I am a born-again believer and will be celebrating the death and resurrection of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ tomorrow with my family.

(picture is from our trip back in September)

20160830_162909.jpg