Coolant recommendation(s), please.

When I got my new 500 RR-S almost 2 months ago, I noticed the gearshift-side radiator hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator was not slipped and hose clamped all the way on.  I thought it was how Beta put the bike together although I did notice that on the clutch-side the hose was installed all the way up to the bottom of the radiator.  

I had gone for my first dirt-ride yesterday(and it was awesome as was the bike), and this morning I had noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike, just below the bottom of the radiator.  How Giovanni could have forgotten, or if it was Franco who didn't slip the hose all the way to the hilt before tightening the clamp before the mid-day cappucino-break is beyond me.  I had to just slide the hose clamp back, wiggle the hose up as far as I could get it on the nipple then tighten up the clamp and no more leak but, in the process I had lost some coolant. 

What is the best coolant I can get for this Beta?  

Thanks all.  

I'll have to see what is on the shelf near me.  Also good to know that all we need is an alcohol-free coolant and to make sure that if I do need to mix, to use distilled water.  

I use Zerox Aisin formula 50/50.  It's a pink anti freeze and is good for aluminum, it's what my Toyota uses and it works well in the bike.

• Like 2

Evans is 100% propylene glycol. Understand what that is and and how it works before you use it. 

• Like 1

Prestone and Peak regular or extended life are free of silicates,  borates, and phosphates. Unless cooling system is broken, all you ever need. Mix at 50:50 with distilled water if you buy full strength. If your cooling system isn't adequate for your riding style install a fan. You can run off battery or get a stator if necessary. 

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hammer41 said:

Evans is 100% propylene glycol. Understand what that is and and how it works before you use it. 

It's a product that actually has a relatively low flash point (248 deg) this is not to be confused with flammable. One other drawback is you have to know when the motor gets hot enough where it's time to shut it down. You can safely run a engine at 330 degrees with no big damage. After that you start damaging seals. 

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. If you rock crawl at slow speeds and regularly run your bikes at 300+ degrees then it's a no brainer. There is no other coolant that can sustain over 280 degrees without boiling out of the motor. 

Another benefit is that Evans has a lubrication quality that no other coolant can match. I have been running it on both my bikes for over 5 years. The KTM would go through a water pump seal every few seasons when running regular coolant. If you do happen to go through a waterpump seal the product will safely mix with the oil and get you back to the truck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammer41 said:

It's Ethylene Glycol. Wish it was propylene glycol, because I buy that stuff for work in 326 gallons totes at $11.65/gallon. 

You can buy "Evan's" (ethylene glycol) by the tote for $12.50 a gallon, but that's 264 gallons. Much more expensive by the gallon but I have found it for as low as $16/gallon if you buy 5 gallons. Basically a lifetime supply.

Buy it here for $23.50 a gallon including delivery.   www.dynalene.com

Edited by LSHD
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, LSHD said:

Prestone and Peak regular or extended life are free of silicates,  borates, and phosphates. Unless cooling system is broken, all you ever need. Mix at 50:50 with distilled water if you buy full strength. If your cooling system isn't adequate for your riding style install a fan. You can run off battery or get a stator if necessary. 

I have a fan on my Beta and can still get motor over 300 degrees with the fan running. Also had a issue boiling the gas with desert tank. Lined the outside of it with heat tape and problem solved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LSHD said:

It's Ethylene Glycol. Wish it was propylene glycol, because I buy that stuff for work in 326 gallons totes at $11.65/gallon. 

You can buy "Evan's" (ethylene glycol) by the tote for $12.50 a gallon, but that's 264 gallons. Much more expensive by the gallon but I have found it for as low as $16/gallon if you buy 5 gallons. Basically a lifetime supply.

Buy it here for $23.50 a gallon including delivery.   www.dynalene.com

NPG is the only one I would ever use and it has no ethylene glycol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hammer41 said:

NPG is the only one I would ever use and it has no ethylene glycol.

I stand corrected, Hammer! NPG is Evan's original formula and is basically Propylene glycol as you said. They don't recommend its use except in racing venues that ban Ethylene glycol. Nice thing about Propylene glycol is its extremely low toxicity. Would have to drink a bunch to get really sick. Skin contact is zero toxicity. It's included in food grade products (which is what we make).

I have about 300 gallons of "Evan's NPG" in my warehouse = Propylene glycol plus a small amount (less than 1%) sodium nitrate as a corrosion inhibitor. But I'll stick to Ethylene glycol products for now (Prestone, Peak, and almost all cheap antifreeze), because my bike (YZ250) doesn't get hot enough to require anything else.

7 minutes ago, LSHD said:

I stand corrected, Hammer! NPG is Evan's original formula and is basically Propylene glycol as you said. They don't recommend its use except in racing venues that ban Ethylene glycol. Nice thing about Propylene glycol is its extremely low toxicity. Would have to drink a bunch to get really sick. Skin contact is zero toxicity. It's included in food grade products (which is what we make).

I have about 300 gallons of "Evan's NPG" in my warehouse = Propylene glycol plus a small amount (less than 1%) sodium nitrate as a corrosion inhibitor. But I'll stick to Ethylene glycol products for now (Prestone, Peak, and almost all cheap antifreeze), because my bike (YZ250) doesn't get hot enough to require anything else.

Engine Ice is all I use and is Propylene glycol also.

• Like 1

Just a general note, not specifically addressing Hammer or anyone else running Evan's who posted here. Note that the bike will/must run hotter with Engine Ice, Evan's NPG, or any coolant that doesn't use water, because these coolants are far less efficient at heat exchange. Running hotter is not necessarily terrible, but it might be misleading if you are checking out your radiator thermometer and noting that you "need" waterless coolant because of how hot your engine is running. Water is one of the most efficient cooling mediums, even mixed 50:50 with antifreeze. Water removes 70% more heat than pure PG. It also removes 3X the energy of PG when microscopic bubbles "boil". This happens with all coolants and is actually part of the cooling "feature".

You could be fooled into thinking your bike runs hotter than it would with standard water-based coolant due to the poor cooling efficiency of waterless coolant.

So be sure and try standard 50:50 coolant, or even 70:30 water/antifreeze if you are sure your cooling system is working properly. You may be pleasantly surprised by how cool your bike suddenly runs and move back into the simple life of ordinary antifreeze.

Edited by LSHD

1 hour ago, LSHD said:

Just a general note, not specifically addressing Hammer or anyone else running Evan's who posted here. Note that the bike will/must run hotter with Engine Ice , Evan's NPG, or any coolant that doesn't use water, because these coolants are far less efficient at heat exchange. Running hotter is not necessarily terrible, but it might be misleading if you are checking out your radiator thermometer and noting that you "need" waterless coolant because of how hot your engine is running. Water is one of the most efficient cooling mediums, even mixed 50:50 with antifreeze. Water removes 70% more heat than pure PG. It also removes 3X the energy of PG when microscopic bubbles "boil". This happens with all coolants and is actually part of the cooling "feature".

You could be fooled into thinking your bike runs hotter than it would with standard water-based coolant due to the poor cooling efficiency of waterless coolant.

So be sure and try standard 50:50 coolant, or even 70:30 water/antifreeze if you are sure your cooling system is working properly. You may be pleasantly surprised by how cool your bike suddenly runs and move back into the simple life of ordinary antifreeze.

+1  Engine Ice is a water PG mix. I would not use a waterless coolant.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

When I got my new 500 RR-S almost 2 months ago, I noticed the gearshift-side radiator hose coming out of the bottom of the radiator was not slipped and hose clamped all the way on.  I thought it was how Beta put the bike together although I did notice that on the clutch-side the hose was installed all the way up to the bottom of the radiator.  

I had gone for my first dirt-ride yesterday(and it was awesome as was the bike), and this morning I had noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike, just below the bottom of the radiator.  How Giovanni could have forgotten, or if it was Franco who didn't slip the hose all the way to the hilt before tightening the clamp before the mid-day cappucino-break is beyond me.  I had to just slide the hose clamp back, wiggle the hose up as far as I could get it on the nipple then tighten up the clamp and no more leak but, in the process I had lost some coolant. 

"best" coolant depends on a variety of aspects.. just put up a search on boiling or overheating and there are a variety of opinions. The only real side by side test that I know of that compared types of coolants for dirt bikes was in a july 2006 Dirtrider magazine article called "cool it". It gave back to back temps and explained things well about what options are out there. The coolest if I remember right was a liquid purple water wetter and some prestone. ..I have the article around here somewhere.. I find it and lose it in between these types of threads.. They test.. evans type and engine ice etc.. and explains the good and bad for what conditions. Here's one thread..but there's a bunch out there here in TT and other sites. Now I'm using a fan on my bike.. a higher pressure cap.. an overflow tank ..just in case.. I've used a variety of coolants and use a water wetter. Evans is good in the fact that it doesn't actually boil so you wont lose coolant and it doesn't pressurize the system.. but it will run hotter .. it just wont boil.  Do the new 500 rs come with fans now? They do right? I don't know but that's a good thing for every 4 stroke rider that goes in tight trails. .. anyway there's lots of info if you want to look up but there really hasn't been another test since that 2006 dirtrider article.. That's lame..actually because this topic comes up over and over again on a regular basis. ..anyway here's one thread.. there's a bunch more if you care to look.. but you aren't having overheating problems so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ahh... your bike comes stock with a cooling fan..no problem.. if anything you could put foofoo little extras to deal with possible overheating just for added insurance.. like a higher pressure radiator cap.. or an overflow tank.. make one or get maybe a motion pro for ex. Coolant? not that big a deal.. go to walmart and get some prestone and maybe a water wetter if you want. ..

Read up..lots of info.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=prestone+coolant+for+motorcycles+thumpertalk

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

"best" coolant depends on a variety of aspects.. just put up a search on boiling or overheating and there are a variety of opinions. The only real side by side test that I know of that compared types of coolants for dirt bikes was in a july 2006 Dirtrider magazine article called "cool it". It gave back to back temps and explained things well about what options are out there. The coolest if I remember right was a liquid purple water wetter and some prestone. ..I have the article around here somewhere.. I find it and lose it in between these types of threads.. They test.. evans type and engine ice etc.. and explains the good and bad for what conditions. Here's one thread..but there's a bunch out there here in TT and other sites. Now I'm using a fan on my bike.. a higher pressure cap.. an overflow tank ..just in case.. I've used a variety of coolants and use a water wetter. Evans is good in the fact that it doesn't actually boil so you wont lose coolant and it doesn't pressurize the system.. but it will run hotter .. it just wont boil.  Do the new 500 rs come with fans now? They do right? I don't know but that's a good thing for every 4 stroke rider that goes in tight trails. .. anyway there's lots of info if you want to look up but there really hasn't been another test since that 2006 dirtrider article.. That's lame..actually because this topic comes up over and over again on a regular basis. ..anyway here's one thread.. there's a bunch more if you care to look.. but you aren't having overheating problems so I wouldn't worry about it.

forgot about this one .. Thanks Chazmanian.. RIP.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider