Cheap kx250f project bike

Bought this as cheap project bike.

What do you guys think?

Things of note:

It has compression, will jump start, has tons of mix match hardware thats not OEM (expected this for used bike), engine top was not bolted (brackets on both sides just loosely flopping back and fourth), back tire looks relatively fresh, front is worthless and i will post more as i discover them.

IMG_2008.thumb.JPG.326f9e35f9e7282357d132a8ecf7fb3f.JPG
IMG_2010.thumb.JPG.59377e234c57701de2bc224be861c916.JPGIMG_2009.thumb.JPG.b3e2c6cac3a9f0e4a3ac110db4c81c5a.JPGIMG_2014.thumb.JPG.59edb063f8f35551d396ee0d12feb009.JPGIMG_2013.thumb.JPG.71cdae0944c2630b6be18009a13d207d.JPGIMG_2012.thumb.JPG.7fb64c0b2681c63c2a568b8f6cbb4388.JPG

You won't know until you get it home and tear it all down to the last bolt to see what you actually have then start putting it all back together again. You either picked up a basket case or something that is solid to work off of.

I am serious. Step one is to rip it all apart!

• Like 2

In my experience there has never been anything "cheap" about project bikes. Given the complexity of four strokes, things can get expensive, fast. The good news is they are cheap to buy and you can get some experience working on them for a low upfront price. Cost of repairs is another story. 

• Like 2

You won't know until you get it home and tear it all down to the last bolt to see what you actually have then start putting it all back together again. You either picked up a basket case or something that is solid to work off of.

I am serious. Step one is to rip it all apart!

Agreed. Thats the plan right now. This is second used bike so i expect to find plenty of oddities.

In my experience there has never been anything "cheap" about project bikes. Given the complexity of four strokes, things can get expensive, fast. The good news is they are cheap to buy and you can get some experience working on them for a low upfront price. Cost of repairs is another story. 

I priced out the most expensive stuff to see what it would cost for serious work. Complete upper and lower build kit from Motosport for this bike is about $550 for Hot Rod brand. After i do that i will atleast have a bike with fresh engine for less than 1300$. I dont consider wrench time money because i enjoy it which we often have to pay for and no body is handing me any amount of money sitting on my ass.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Monkeyshuttle said:

Should i just do top end or both to be safe?

Like I said, take it down and all apart to see what you have.  Then you will know what needs to be replaced, what to be repaired, what to just bolt back together ....  The advice includes pulling the engine apart, the shocks apart, the frame swing arm apart, etc.    That is what a "project bike" is.  It is just a bunch of parts.  Separate all the parts.  Then use the parts to start building a bike.

At least that is the way I do these.  In this way I know exactly what the end bike is and there are no surprises out on the trail afterwards.

Have fun with it, 'cause that's what it is all about right!

• Like 1

Looks about like the one I just got as a project. I have it torn down to the bare frame and trying to figure out what I want to attack first. Engine seems first priority. Since it cranks on second kick, I'll just check valves and clean it up. I'm having a blast with it so far and you will too. 

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

Edited by Pastmyprime214
  • Like 1

Looks about like the one I just got as a project. I have it torn down to the bare frame and trying to figure out what I want to attack first. Engine seems first priority. Since it cranks on second kick, I'll just check valves and clean it up. I'm having a blast with it so far and you will too. 
IMG_2969.thumb.JPG.8cba82b0cde50ca66a50b978c27c016b.JPG
IMG_2970.thumb.JPG.58aa7873f253fb11da66a2351b59c0f8.JPG

Nice find. What year?

I have redone simple stuff like carb sprockets and easy bolt on stuff. Replaced temp fix hardware with OEM. Have new top end coming in few days see how that goes.

You guys can do it. I recently purchased a 2013 rmz250 with a locked up engine. Knowing that I would be at least doing a full top and bottom end, I got sick a great deal on it, it couldn't pass it up. Your could say I capitalized on the owners ignorance both mechanically and how to care for the bike.

It was the first 4 stroke I knew I would have to seriously wrench on. First time ever I would have to pull the engine out of a bike, period. Never split cases before, etc.

With the awesome members here, you can do it. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to do anything on a 4 stroke. It just takes one time to build the confidence, olus you learn a TON!

• Like 2

What year is yours? Feel free to offer any guidance to me. This is my first shot at a build let alone a 4 stroke. 

Mines an 07. I did one other four stroke but not an Mx bike. It was a crf150 that had a lot of issues. Is was immaculate when i traded it for a YZ125. Now i need to do same for the YZ.

Not experienced enough to be given advice yet lol. If i notice anything i will post it.

Practically the exact same bike. I'm looking forward to following your build. I can say that wd 40 and scotchbrite has been my friend so far. Bearings are my worst enemy right now. 

On 4/16/2017 at 5:49 AM, Monkeyshuttle said:

I priced out the most expensive stuff to see what it would cost for serious work. Complete upper and lower build kit from Motosport for this bike is about $550 for Hot Rod brand. After i do that i will atleast have a bike with fresh engine for less than 1300$. I dont consider wrench time money because i enjoy it which we often have to pay for and no body is handing me any amount of money sitting on my ass.

If there was no valve/piston contact, you could be right on.

If there was, that $1300 will be eaten up in a hurry before you get into the piston and crank.

Its next to impossible to find a used KX250F head, because they all get destroyed either duel to lack of oil, valve contact, or other non maintenance.

other common problems if there were valve/piston contact is bent connecting rod, broken valve buckets, broken or cracked intake valve guides, and spun cam sprockets.

Pulling cover and possibly head over next few days as time permits. I will post pics of what it looks like in there if you want to swing back to this thread and check it out.

• Like 1