Needing help finding a new headlight

My drz is in need of a new headlight bad. I wrecked a awhile back and destroyed the stock head light. I went on eBay and bought a cheap ktm knock off head light to get by. I want to do a light bar and number plate set up without breaking the bank. I need something where I can really see at night so it needs to be led. I'm just needing some ideas and links. Image1492316596.167035.jpg

I went in half half with a mate on the famous 6x4 head light setup that many people have used on here. It came in a pack of 2. Involves using the stock shroud and modifying the headlight bracket to fit the new headlight. Few hours work to get it spot on. 20161107_121246.jpg.6c333b2eacd113ad5f1b4e4951b7e608.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 400eSM said:

I went in half half with a mate on the famous 6x4 head light setup that many people have used on here. It came in a pack of 2. Involves using the stock shroud and modifying the headlight bracket to fit the new headlight. Few hours work to get it spot on. 20161107_121246.jpg.6c333b2eacd113ad5f1b4e4951b7e608.jpg

Did you try this setup at night?  I was done last year and it's really brighter near of the bike and on side (great for single track) but the range insn't long enought to drive at hi speed. 

Maybe it's the wrong 4X6 LED...

1 hour ago, marauder1441 said:

Did you try this setup at night?  I was done last year and it's really brighter near of the bike and on side (great for single track) but the range insn't long enought to drive at hi speed. 

Maybe it's the wrong 4X6 LED...

Yeah, i have tried it at night weekly for the past few months. The spread of light is not the best compared to the way a good factory headlight spreads but the lighting is still very very good. Massive improvement over stock.

• Like 2

I can't use that set up on my bike. I destroyed everything on the front stock headlight. I would have to spend a fortune in parts just to do that.

I just run a trail tech x2 with both lights on for high beam. With a clear lense it's fine at night but i still added a cheap amazon flood lugh the for the side spread.    If i get more serious for offroad ill buy some led spot lights for more range. But the x2 has been good to me the last 8 years and it's not expensive

• Like 1

just for some ideas, i live in a deer infested area and have had WAY too many close calls so i need it to be lit up like a ball park .. this setup really kicks as, especially the RUN-D's (amazon -10* spot, 35W models), the smaller mini aux (superbright led 30* beam) are on a seperate switch and are more to augment lighting when i 'have' to turn off the run-d's for oncoming traffic .. somebody will kick your as if you dont turn them off lol, theyre that bright ... anyway .. the brackets are, top - cut from a piece of 2"X4" 1/8th" thick aluminum angle and shaped alittle to make them look suave .... the lower lights are mounted to the stock S reflector bracket, the end tabs are just flattened out in a vice ... they vibrate alittle at certain speeds but no problems ...

CIMG0957_zpsmyouj4xy.jpg

CIMG0958_zpssmpgw3dz.jpg

• Like 2

Of all the different LED bulbs I've tried that 6 x4 modded light is by far the best one , but as has been said it really lights up the area in front up to about where 50mph will start overunning it . Any of the other bulbs I've tried have either been fairly good getting way out there but crappy spread and not much for seeing in the ditches , or up close and not very long reaching . The best solution IMHO is the 6 x4 with added spot beam accessory lights to cover both ends really good. I've had a few close calls and good lighting is critical , however most of the deer heavy spots on my route in the morning are slower speed spots or where I am not in a hurry so can take it easy. If I don't have to go 60mph through them no reason to , summer time it's nice to enjoy my ride , helps me wake up and get going.

• Like 2

I mounted a Klx450 headlight with an Hi/Lo LED lightbulb. Works pretty good. Had to make some brackets to hold it in place but looks good. post-487886-0-18797100-1479888549_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. I might just bust out the money for the trail tech. I would mod my ktm knock head light but it's been nothing but a hassle.

I found an aftermarket headlight on Amazon, put an led bulb in it and mounted a light bar for about $70..IMG_0786.JPG

• Like 1

Heads up to anyone who is considering order a trail tech x2. They no longer make the model specific head lights. So you have to get the universal. I'm having trouble figuring out the wiring for the high and low beam. I can't get both lights to come on together.

Heads up to anyone who is considering order a trail tech x2. They no longer make the model specific head lights. So you have to get the universal. I'm having trouble figuring out the wiring for the high and low beam. I can't get both lights to come on together.

Even on the model specific only 1 light at a time is on. The little light is only good for a daytime running light.

Even on the model specific only 1 light at a time is on. The little light is only good for a daytime running light.

It was hard to find anything on the lights at all. If you run there switch kit both lights work on high beam. That's what got me confused.

Day tripper - how did you mount that LED above the head light?

got pics?

I just picked up a polisport and like it a lot. I'm using a 55/60 W halogen ultra white bulb that was in my tool box for years. I have 2 more bulbs left to use. When they fail I'll get an LED bulb.

Keep the posts coming  because I too want a good LED bar or something like that for more light....

IMG_20170407_191848_777.jpg

IMG_20170413_171258593.jpg

Edited by scrambler82

I have one of those Polysports on my TE510 , it looks good but the pattern is very spotty . I put an HID setup on it that's pretty bright but just has such a scattering and spots of light then black holes , don't know if it's the bulb or the reflector. 

10 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

I have one of those Polysports on my TE510 , it looks good but the pattern is very spotty . I put an HID setup on it that's pretty bright but just has such a scattering and spots of light then black holes , don't know if it's the bulb or the reflector. 

mine is very good at night, its not made for HID. FYI  I made a shim to raise the beam up with a piece of 3/4 heater hose..  get a good LED and make sure it is in the exact position as a the H4 bulb. thats what I plan on doing when my H4 fails...

Edited by scrambler82