Need Help Picking a Bike

Hi All,

I need some help choosing a first bike. Im 22years old, 5'8 and weigh around 155lbs.

I will be using the bike for mostly trail riding, I dont see myself doing any racing or jumping on the bike. I have hardly any riding experience. I rode a crf 100 maybe 2-3 times when I was 16 and thats it. 

Im looking to get a good first bike that wont cost too much and that I can use for a while (im in Canada btw with a budget of around 3k max) I remember liking the crf 100. Also at the same time I rode it I remember sitting on my uncles crf 250 or 230 and found it pretty big. But that was a while back and I havent sat on a bike since. 

Ive been looking at local ads and have came across a couple bikes:

2016 klx140l  around 3k

2011 KTM sxf250 around 3k

2015 yamaha yz 85 around 2.5k 

But im not really sure what size bikes to look at and whether or not to go 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Any help would be appreciated I just dont want to buy a bike and regret it a little while down the road.

Little riding experience, no racing / jumping and an interest in trail riding

with a 3000$ CAD budget, a Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TTR230 sounds like what you need.

Keep in mind any used bike will need a bit of TLC, 300-400$ CAD is easily spent on chain, sprockets, tires, brakes, grips, cables etc.

(also, does your budget include riding gear?)

Out of the bikes you've listed:

Both the 2016 klx140l and 2015 yamaha  yz 85 are too small for you,

(at 5'8" consider bikes with full sized wheels, meaning 21" front wheel)

and the 2011 KTM sxf250 perhaps not the best suited for trail / wallet friendly bike to own.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Little riding experience, no racing / jumping and an interest in trail riding

with a 3000$ CAD budget, a Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TTR230 sounds like what you need.

Keep in mind any used bike will need a bit of TLC, 300-400$ CAD is easily spent on chain, sprockets, tires, brakes, grips, cables etc.

I'll add to these suggestions that a stock XR 250 or KDX 200 would also be good choices. These bikes are a bit older and may need maintenance because of age, but both were common (and well supported) so a good one could turn up in your area. 

Weren't Yamaha WR200s sold for more years in Canada then in the US, or was it Australia where they sold them forever? They always seemed like an under appreciated bike for novices.

• Like 1

You're too big for a mini so take them off the list. Since it's your first bike maybe you should go with the 230. I live GA and here they can be bought in excellent condition for less than a ragged out race bike. They're very forgiving in tricky trail situations. Theyre lo so you can keep your feet on the ground, the engines will pull from idle up a hill in 3rd gear. And they don't break! A good running bike will help build the passion for the sport.
Now, I had some sort of riding toy most of my life but this is my adult life experience. I rented a CRF 230 five or six times and I recently purchased a TTR 230. The crf was more peppy and had more preload on the forks. The ttr feels spongy. So if a 230 was my only bike I would get the Honda. I had a CR125 for 6 years. I'm the same size as you btw. I ride a yz250f now. The cr would do most things but not gracefully. The YZ is a beer all pupose bike than the cr and he'll of a lot more fun than the ttr.
Anyway, buy the trail bike first and set you sights on a big boy bike. You'll see why when the time comes.
Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses ill def start looking for a some of those suggestions i dont want to get a bike that ill outgrow too quickly.

The reason why the klx 140l was on my list was because  someone told me it has a good resale, and the person selling hardly used it (dad got it for his daughter and she didnt take up the sport) and he said he had some extra stuff for it like unused oil and and a new boxed re-jetting kit. 

Also, the person with the kx 85 said its a big wheel version if that changes anything? And he seems like hes willing to let it go cheap (he said 2300cad today but Ill prob be able to get it a bit cheaper) 

My 3k budget does not include my riding equiptment. Im willing to spend extra on that. Any suggestions on what equipment to get and what is necessary for trail riding would also be appreciated. Im willing to spend on this haha

At 5'8", even 'big-wheeled' minis  (19"/16") are still to small for you. 

There is a larger wheeled KLX140G (21"/18")

but since it's a brand new model doubt there are any used ones for sale yet.

I wear the same protective gear when trailriding as I do when MX track riding,

anytime you can prevent an injury is a plus.

never mind the expensive flashy jersey/pants, get some good boots, elbow and knee pads.

• Like 1