Never had a GPS on a bike before, loving it! The Trail Tech is nifty.

I've never had a GPS on either a dirtbike/motorcycle or a snowmobile and never really needed one as I'd always either ride with friends or, we'd just learn our way around.  It was never a worry about being lost when one is with at least one other person but, when alone it gets nerve-wracking.  

Friday afternoon, I decided to explore some woods that I had never been in and the trails branched off in every direction but I had no worry as I had the Trail Tech and it worked well enough that I knew that I could always find my way back if I got a little too-deep.  The Trail Tech is one nifty piece of kit.  I'm so glad the bike comes with it all set-up and that it does what it does.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RudderFeet said:

Is that the Voyager unit? My '13 350RR just came with the basic enduro model.

Yes, it is the Voyager.  

I've owned a few different GPS systems, they all have their pluses and minuses, gotta say for an offroad programmable system, the Voyager rocks! Get a bigger chip than what comes in it and the upload/download thing is child's play, that in conjunction with Google Earth is a kick in the Beta!

Now I keep a folder on my desktop full of maps for many of the locations I ride in.

Or trying out other maps, the Voyager offers so much more that a standard offroad GPS. Making maps and transferring them into your files, then passing them around, downloading maps from the host of different places and friends is so fricking easy, stuff them into your files, then downloading them to your chip, simplicity 1A....... :ride:

• Like 1

I fought against using GPS's for many years. I have always used traditional compass and dead reckoning. I was forced to get one as roll charts are no longer an option for a lot of dual sport events. I must say it's a very cool piece of engineering. Between the GPS and my SPOT device I can see where I've been and discover new routes I never knew existed.

All the guys that have the Trailtech in our club love them. It looks to be even more user friendly than my Garmin 76CSX.

• Like 1

now just imagine having a big color display, color coded tracks, routes and waypoints, even turn by turn navigation, all in a $30 that is completely waterproof and never needs plugging into a computer... unlimited storage for tracks, free maps that actually are legible instead of just gray lines.... ya, its pretty awesome

Screenshot_2017-03-25-16-17-03.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ohgood said:

now just imagine having a big color display, color coded tracks, routes and waypoints, even turn by turn navigation, all in a $30 that is completely waterproof and never needs plugging into a computer... unlimited storage for tracks, free maps that actually are legible instead of just gray lines.... ya, its pretty awesome

Screenshot_2017-03-25-16-17-03.png

Yeah as long as you have cell phone reception, right? 

Fail......

Updated, I stand corrected, though, still think that bouncing my expensive phone down the trail is not all that smart, my Beta often likes to be upside down and hanging a phone off of it, hmmmmmm, I'll pass, interesting, but I'll pass 

Edited by Mark-us-B
  • Like 2

Fail......

Depends on the app. I can't tell which one this is, but a riding buddy has an Android app that doesn't need or even use cell service.

Just now, RudderFeet said:

Depends on the app. I can't tell which one this is, but a riding buddy has an Android app that doesn't need or even use cell service.

I'd be interested in that app if you happen to know what it is.

There are several smartphone apps out there that allow you to download maps beforehand and then operate off of the phone's GPS only, without need for cellular connectivity.  I use my phone in airplane mode as a GPS-enabled map, navigator, and trip logger on most backcountry rides where there is no cellular service.

I'm currently using this app, but am think about trying this one next just for giggles and grins.

For me this has also been a dependable substitute for Beta's crappy speedometer/odometers that always seem to go on the blink right when you need them to work (like at the trailhead.)

map0111.jpg

map0210.png

map0510.png

map0310.png

map0410.png

The USFS has also made their Motor Vehicle Use Maps available for offline GPS navigation, for free, via the Avenza app.  See the screenshot below.  More info at the bottom of this page if interested.

map0610.png

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Mark-us-B said:

Fail......

Updated, I stand corrected, though, still think that bouncing my expensive phone down the trail is not all that smart, my Beta often likes to be upside down and hanging a phone off of it, hmmmmmm, I'll pass, interesting, but I'll pass 

if you have a $900 iPhone or Galaxy s8, ya  that would be expensive as totally up to you as to whether you want to put it somewhere like the bars. most people will justify buying a $600 gps with things like "it's made for motorcycles" or "my phone is to expensive!" which I'll point to the $30-$100 bunch of rugged and waterproof androids all over eBay. 

and yes, your correct (now) that you do not need cellular coverage ever for the GPS antenna to work everywhere in the world.

the app i screen shot is called locus, it also does image georeferencing so creating a mvum overlay is easy. and geocaching. and turn by turn navigation. and , well, everything. 

ride funner, not $$$er

:-)

Thanks for the great tutorials on using non-cellular GPS apps & functions on phones.  Need to look into the apps further.

I was a map and compass hold out forever or so.  I LIKED my compass and maps.  Then for years I said no way to GPS because my eyes were getting bad and I couldn't see the damn things anyway without stopping to put on reading glasses, so what was point?!  Now I have to wear the bifocals all the time, at least until dripping sweat makes it useless.  Guess I will be reluctantly expanding my tech horizon.

• Like 1

I've been using a Garmin 60Cx GPS for a long time. I move it around from bike to bike and use it on my jetskis also.

But I'm currently looking for good cellphone based (Android) Topo apps to use also. I'm only interested in ones that will navigate from a track or route file, not just create a track file from my movements. Thanks for the comments so far and I'd welcome anything else that can be added about phone based Topo apps.

I've done a good bit of creating routes on the computer then navigating them using the GPS. But if you need to change routes, or create a new route due to a locked gate or ??? The tiny GPS screen makes trying to figure out a new route almost impossible. That's where the phone comes in, in field route planning or backup.

I've also done a couple organized dual sport rides from GPS track files. It works, but the best is GPS track file + a good roll chart. The good thing about the GPS is you know sooner when you've gone off track. The bad thing about it is it can be confused or goofy if the trail crosses it self like a figure 8 or similar. I did a ride last year off the GPS where half the riders were confused at one point which way was correct as it wasn't possible to figure out from the GPS track file alone.

I am going to play with the Voyager just to see what it can/can't do. This is a good thread to use for all GPS related discussion.

20170416_115832-1.jpg

• Like 4

While there are a few issues in the display color of the maps, or lack there of, has a few small draw backs but what it offers in things it does for you is great. Some may say the extra bling is not needed, that is till you own one :rolleyes: then you will enjoy those extras and how they can help ya.

I think most here without one should spend a few minutes looking through closely the Trail Tech companies specifications and what it offers you. Much more than a regular app for your phone, AND it hides nicely behind your number plate.

I used a Garmin 60SX and while nice at the time, hanging it from a ball mount at least for me is an accident waiting to happen, even though the Garmin is a stout tool for sure, mine had been ripped off a few times, but never affected its reliability, after plugging it back in or repairing the wiring for hard-wiring. The battery thing with the Garmin 60SX is weird, kept shutting down and playing games till I hard wired into the bike.

The Voyager at its price point $230.00-$260.00 depending on where you buy it is a killer deal IMHO..... I eventually bought the Trail Tech aluminum case for mine, and increased the height of it and changed the angle I view it plus after a few loops it was never affected. The Voyager offers more than any other GPS I own, even for the cars/trucks. 

You gotta play with it to understand, fricking great off-road tools! :ride: 

• Like 2

Funny.   I don't even have a smartphone.  

Not having to worry about charging a battery. Taking the unit on and off the bike.  Not having the big MPG and tach.  Tucked up and neatly integrated and wired into the bike along with keeping the hours and miles, the Voyager is sweet.  

If I did not have the Trail Tech I might consider a standalone GPS as the dual-sporting is letting me explore way more than I ever could on an enduro/trail-bike as there are just about no legal areas near me to ride.  I have already found 2-3 places that have a LOT of trails I have not been on and they are only 5-8 mile road-ride away from my house.  

The trails created by where I have gone are good enough for me.  While it is neat to actually see where the trails are on a true topo-map/chart, I can live without it.  I just need to be able to get back where I came from and the Voyager does it just fine.  

3 hours ago, Mark-us-B said:

While there are a few issues in the display color of the maps, or lack there of, has a few small draw backs but what it offers in things it does for you is great. Some may say the extra bling is not needed, that is till you own one :rolleyes: then you will enjoy those extras and how they can help ya.

I think most here without one should spend a few minutes looking through closely the Trail Tech companies specifications and what it offers you. Much more than a regular app for your phone, AND it hides nicely behind your number plate.

I used a Garmin 60SX and while nice at the time, hanging it from a ball mount at least for me is an accident waiting to happen, even though the Garmin is a stout tool for sure, mine had been ripped off a few times, but never affected its reliability, after plugging it back in or repairing the wiring for hard-wiring. The battery thing with the Garmin 60SX is weird, kept shutting down and playing games till I hard wired into the bike.

The Voyager at its price point $230.00-$260.00 depending on where you buy it is a killer deal IMHO..... I eventually bought the Trail Tech aluminum case for mine, and increased the height of it and changed the angle I view it plus after a few loops it was never affected. The Voyager offers more than any other GPS I own, even for the cars/trucks. 

You gotta play with it to understand, fricking great off-road tools! :ride: 

an RPM graph and water temperature gauge aren't something in interested in staring at since 

a) it doesn't matter at all

b )it will puke and let me know when it needs a rest

i can stick the phone in the same spot as the stock speedometer like the trail tech, but it's easier to access up on the cross bar. 

the trail tech is missing so many good gps features that it's not even a consideration. 

they've supposedly been working on a color unit for about five years now, but no one has seen it on a bike, so who knows... they might actually being something to market that can do more than paint a grey line on a grayer screen. 

• Like 1

Now with more time on/with the bike, the TT is even better.  I had customized the two user screens to show me what I want to see.  I have one screen with MPH, Tach, engine temp, Volts, max engine temp and one other that I don't remember, maybe time.  

On the other page I have most of the averages and maximum readouts.  

I also learned how to save the tracks and name them, as well realized how to turn the tracks/charting off so I don't have to see the track I make every day to and from work and to save the memory for new trails and riding areas.  

• Like 2

On 4/18/2017 at 5:02 PM, wwguy said:

There are several smartphone apps out there that allow you to download maps beforehand and then operate off of the phone's GPS only, without need for cellular connectivity.  I use my phone in airplane mode as a GPS-enabled map, navigator, and trip logger on most backcountry rides where there is no cellular service.

I'm currently using this app, but am think about trying this one next just for giggles and grins.

For me this has also been a dependable substitute for Beta's crappy speedometer/odometers that always seem to go on the blink right when you need them to work (like at the trailhead.)

map0111.jpg

map0210.png

map0510.png

map0310.png

map0410.png

The USFS has also made their Motor Vehicle Use Maps available for offline GPS navigation, for free, via the Avenza app.  See the screenshot below.  More info at the bottom of this page if interested.

map0610.png

I currently have an iPhone 6S. Do they have a similar app for it? Or would it be worth buying a used android as my bike phone.....HELP I WANT THIS BADLY!