Bigger Bike for my 17yo Daughter, who has CRF150R

My daughter is pretty much maxed out the CRF150R, banging the rev limiter way to much lately. We onlt ride desert terrain.

The bike fits her  pretty good, Its a big wheel, but she can ride full size bikes in flat ground. She is 5ft 4" tall.

My choices are to see if I can upgrade the engine on her bike???

Or go to a lowered 250. If I do that, I want it to be electric start. The terrain we ride, is pretty harsh, kicking a bike over on a side of a mountain is a chore, sometimes we have to help her. If I go to a 250, i want estart.

so what years do ktm 250s have Estart?

and any other suggestions you think i should consider.

If you go ktm which I recommend because I was in the same situation as you were in. I ride mainly trails but love hitting natural jumps and going to the track. I ride tuff trails and trying to kick start the bike in the Az heat and on a hill is insane. I ride a 15 250sxf and the e-start has worked amazing. The first upgrade I did was switch to a Shorai lithium ion battery. Little pricy but worth the price and I don't have to worry about a dead battery on the trails, also the 3-4 pound weight loss. If you get ktm go 13+ for the engine and chassis changes.

If price isn't an obstacle then the KTM freeride would be the front runner. There just aren't a lot of higher performance small bores with e-start.

• Like 1

If she is over riding the 150r I don't see her as a KTM Freeride happy match,  at least not for her only bike.   If you are going to look at used i would try a wr250 (yamaha) and put it on a diet.  reliable,  adequate in every respect,  cheaper to maintain than the moto version of anything.   All depends on if you want to stay 4 stroke. 

• Like 1

We were fotunate enough to find a 2007 ktm 250 xcf about. 40 miles from my house. 

The engine was rebuilt about 15 hours ago, has EStart, runs perfect. 

Overall it was a great deal. 

Now we need to adjust the suspension, cut some foam out of the seat, and see if that is low enough for her.