2004 Honda CRF80 Carburator Options

I recently picked up a 2004 CRF80 for my son. I got it for nothing because it's pretty rough. The air mixture screw is seized. I tried drilling and tapping it but to no avail. It is a 20mm carburetor. I've found a 28mm carburetor of similar configuration. Does anyone know whether it would work on the CRF80? I'm already planning to add aftermarket exhaust to help it breath better. I just wanted sure whether the bike could handle the larger carb.

I bought  a knock  off carb from  ebay for xr 80.It was identical  to  the  original , and only  about   $20.

• Like 1

I bought  a knock  off carb from  ebay for xr 80.It was identical  to  the  original , and only  about   $20.

Was it a good carburetor? Is it working okay?

The problem with knock off carbs are two things: One, they are hit and miss with a lot just being junk.  Two, Jetting.  What works for one guy at sea level in the mid seventies temp dry humidity, won't work for another guy at 3500 ft. 60's temp and very humid.  Then a guy recommends it, because it works great for him, but it will be a little off for you.  Then you can't get jets and you can't get the bike to just right.  With a used (or new)  Honda carb, you can dial it regardless where you live or ride.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, socalxr said:

The problem with knock off carbs are two things: One, they are hit and miss with a lot just being junk.  Two, Jetting.  What works for one guy at sea level in the mid seventies temp dry humidity, won't work for another guy at 3500 ft. 60's temp and very humid.  Then a guy recommends it, because it works great for him, but it will be a little off for you.  Then you can't get jets and you can't get the bike to just right.  With a used (or new)  Honda carb, you can dial it regardless where you live or ride.  

SoCal is right and we have all experienced it. Buy a knock off and hope it works, then find out it doesn't. It's jetting and tuning that always gets you. 

• Like 1

I bought the Chinese carburetor and it's running. I do love at sea level on the coast and our average temps are in the 70's. That said, we haven't ridden the bike yet, just started it. I still need to replace tubes, tires, air box (missing), front brake cable, both levers, and the exhaust.

I've found a Honda carburetor on eBay for about a $100 and am going to probably buy it too just in case.

I've ordered all of the other part and the last is due to arrive tomorrow. It's the FMF pipe & silencer. Any advice on jetting? Some of you said thstvthr Chinese carb can't be re-jetted. Is this correct?

G