2009 TE450; should I take the plunge?

I've been looking for a KTM 450/500 EXC on craigslist here for a while (want anywhere from 2005-2014)..nothing is showing up. Today a 2009  TE450 with 1600 miles showed up on Craigslist; asking price 3700... I just want a reliable bike to do light trail riding and some commuting (including highway). Assuming it is mechanically sound does this meet those requirements? Reliability and ease of maintenance/parts availability are biggies for me.

(I'm no mechanic but can manage to do things like take a carb apart and clean it, do some basic re-wiring etc... for reference)

1 hour ago, jonwilcox said:

A good machine. Make sure it has the had FUel Injection Module and the chip .

I will have to read up on those mods. The fella who owns it says it is a nice bike but has a narrow gear range, so may top out at 70 on the interstate due to gearing. I will be doing some interstate so is that a total deal breaker or could I get around that with sprockets?

I own the two 510. Got about 1000 miles on it. Has vibration issues. But the gearing is close. I am through all 6 gears in seconds. Want 8 speed. Ha ha
Anyway good going. I tried selling mine last year. Not one call. I m in Idaho if you want to look this one over. Let me know

1 hour ago, jonwilcox said:

I own the two 510. Got about 1000 miles on it. Has vibration issues. But the gearing is close. I am through all 6 gears in seconds. Want 8 speed. Ha ha
Anyway good going. I tried selling mine last year. Not one call. I m in Idaho if you want to look this one over. Let me know

Hahaha... that's kind of what I'm steering clear of. (difficult resale)... I know my history with bikes. I turn over and sell bikes every year or two, so don't want something difficult to sell. I also like interstate riding and used to do it on my 450EXC and it had plenty of power with wide gearing even if it wasn't exactly super smooth.

I had a BMW f800GS and only got one serious offer on it in 5 months... I think people who buy things labeled "BMW" may think themselves above buying used, maybe the exotics suffer from too limited a market also. Truth be told Yamaha is my favorite bike maker by a mile, but since they don't have anything in the 450-650 dually range here in the states I guess I'll go KTM at this point. DRZ's are just too heavy in my opinion.

p.s. I'm in Florida, so bit of a hike to look at your bike. :)

Edited by kayakingsteve

3 hours ago, kayakingsteve said:

I've been looking for a KTM 450/500 EXC on craigslist here for a while (want anywhere from 2005-2014)..nothing is showing up. Today a 2009  TE450 with 1600 miles showed up on Craigslist; asking price 3700... I just want a reliable bike to do light trail riding and some commuting (including highway). Assuming it is mechanically sound does this meet those requirements? Reliability and ease of maintenance/parts availability are biggies for me.

(I'm no mechanic but can manage to do things like take a carb apart and clean it, do some basic re-wiring etc... for reference)

Actually, I would look at the 2014 or the 2015, they have all the reliability retrofits, light weight and power, once uncorked. Ive never ran my ktm 500 on the freeway, but run through potholed back road 90 mph all the time, plus offroad trails , light tracks ect. Original motor 26,000 miles , as smooth as any street bike, if you balance the wheels.  The offroad suspension needs work and set up, unless very slow occasional trail set up is all that's needed.