Who has dumped their bike?

I literally just came off the trails west of Phoenix. While I was out there I crossed a small wash (dry creek bed for you that get rain), popped up over the side and didn't know on the other side was a steep drop off consisting of sand and loose rocks and gravel. I almost took the dive. Being 6'1 and 240lbs totally saved my ass as I was able to put my feet down and muscle the bike up right. Still, it's a damn heavy bike and not something I want to lay down with that hot engine branding the event into my leg as a reminder. So I was just curious, who has actually dumped and what were the events that lead up to laying it down?

thanks

I've watched a few of my friends lay over their bikes mainly in corners do to moss or grass causing them to spin out.  I laid mine over after we shut the bikes off and looked at a road a tree fell across.  I thought I would just push my bike to turn it around but slipped on some loose gravel and the bike slowly fell on me spilling gas on me. It happens.

if you`ve never dumped the bike at low speed,,you`ve never been offroad much,it happens..

I used to tip it over quite often when I first got it,,couldn`t seem to recover it if I couldn`t get a foot down quick enough,,and it`s heavy..only time I drop it now is when I hit wet roots at an angle and it jerks to the side fast..lol

B

• Like 3

I have been on several rides where I got the "tipsies". Usually due to being dead tired from horsing the big turd around for hours. It's gotta be quite comical for anyone behind me to watch. Of course, by that point in the ride there's usually nobody behind me! They are all at the fork in the trail telling lies, laughing, eating a sammich, waiting for me.

Single track sandy... came off 180 degree berm to see a 1 foot diameter root suspended about a foot above the base of the trail 6 feet ahead of me. I was cooking to stay on top of the sand and helpless to avoid the root.

Bike hopped, I flew and landed full weight on the back of my right shoulder. Orthopod recommends surgery for several tears, but we have a trip planned to ride the selway in Montana in June and there's no way I'm missing that.

Bike was torqued a bit, but I loosened the triples and realigned the forks and all's well - got a super brace so it won't happen again...

Sand kills me. I'm sliding all over the place like I'm on ice. Though it makes sense to go faster, I don't have the guts as I feel the bike back tire wants to lay the bike down. I'd rather dump at 15mph than 40mph. 

Your title should be "Who hasn't dumped their bike". Totally normal, even the pros go down. Good idea to ride with a buddy. In Pennsylvania mountains, I did get pinned once, coming to a stop, because of the guy in front of me. When I put my foot down there was nothing there, just a 45degree grassy bank, with about 5' slope. Bike & me tumbled over downhill, on me, & I couldn't seem to slide myself out from underneath, with the bikes weight trying to slide me downhill more. Very unusual and rare. Stranger yet, I was replaying event in my mind, when I woke up this am, when I got out of bed, and you ask this, haha weird. This happened about 4-5 years ago. :thinking:

• Like 4

I've been down many times, sometimes with a leg underneath. One time I had to pull free of my boot to get out from under.

I have been pretty much pinned in place upright on the bike going down hill and getting snared in vines that pulled me uphill and back against the bike.

As I ride alone, I will bail off and just let the tough pig fall down if there's any question of getting trapped.

Only time I really was stuck was on a group ride, the hancock dual sport in fact. Well, I was there alone, but many other riders there too.

There was a pretty easy hill but a noob got stuck at the top, single lane, had to stop. Managed to get off to one side.

When the trail cleared there was a lot of traffic anxious to get up the hill, I had to grab a slim opportunity between riders or else wait till half of NJ on KTMs went by.

I had a chance but had trouble getting going on the steep hill, a bunch of people got pissed so I decided to roll back a bit and go off to the side again. That side, unlike the 1st side, was a bit higher, I got into a no-foot-touching scenario and went down with my leg all the way forwards with the bars against my body, bike sideways across the hill, tank downhill.

I was pinned, gas streaming right onto my crotch, and getting used for traction. Could not get out from under without help, but then again would not have happened were I alone.

• Like 1

Dumped mine about 2 weeks ago in some loose gravel, pinned my foot underneath the muffler. Thought I was fine, couldn't get the bike kick started as it flooded out, so I pushed it up a hill and rode it down while popping it in gear and got myself home. Next day, couldn't walk. Will have been out of work for 3 weeks total by the time it's all said and done. But it's getting better and I don't need surgery, just a bad knee sprain thankfully!

R

11 hours ago, bork said:

Your title should be "Who hasn't dumped their bike". Totally normal, even the pros go down. Good idea to ride with a buddy. In Pennsylvania mountains, I did get pinned once, coming to a stop, because of the guy in front of me. When I put my foot down there was nothing there, just a 45degree grassy bank, with about 5' slope. Bike & me tumbled over downhill, on me, & I couldn't seem to slide myself out from underneath, with the bikes weight trying to slide me downhill more. Very unusual and rare. Stranger yet, I was replaying event in my mind, when I woke up this am, when I got out of bed, and you ask this, haha weird. This happened about 4-5 years ago. :thinking:

Great analogy, couldn't image being stuck underneath the pig. Riding alone you have to ask yourself, Is this trail worth possibly sending the pig off the side and, could I get it back on trail.

I asked the question as I do enjoy riding, though I don't wanted to become handicapped/crippled in the process. There are much more ideal bikes to ride if you're going to go down often instead of this 300+lbs brute. 

I really enjoy the torque, long legs and overall handling of my xr6. Its like no other bike I've ridden. That doesnt mean that it's the best at everything, just that to me, the benefits make it worth riding. I have lots of other bikes including a lightweight 2t trail bike but I take dirt naps on all of them. My point is that crashing is part of riding off road, it's part of learning and all in all, you should learn to crash because there are actually skills involved with "getting off at speed" that will help at keeping you from getting you injured.

If you ride dual sport your going to eventually go down.  Lots of places to go with to many obstacles that get in your way. Heck a small tree across a logging road can take you down.  Just know sooner or later it's going to happen.

• Like 1

That's awesome. Taking a pic of your bike dumped. At least it seems you're falling in snow, mud, sand or uphill. I mean if you had to choose those are ideal places to go down. I have to take a pic of the murdering trails I'm on. Dumping would be a trip to the hospital. Tire slicers are just embedded in the trailhead. 

3 hours ago, Desert XR said:

That's awesome. Taking a pic of your bike dumped. At least it seems you're falling in snow, mud, sand or uphill. I mean if you had to choose those are ideal places to go down. I have to take a pic of the murdering trails I'm on. Dumping would be a trip to the hospital. Tire slicers are just embedded in the trailhead. 

I have tons more.  Some good, some bad.  

That log was a little gig with the chain saw strapped on the back.  Took me a couple of attempts to clear that damn log. 

IMG_5165.jpg

Poor Log Crossing.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Edited by ElDorado650
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...