coolant in oil

I'm pretty convinced I am getting coolant in the motor oil. The last two time I've changed the oil it has come out lite brown rather than dark black like times past. Also, the level in the reservoir seems to be dropping.

This is an '09' 250, with few not a ton of hours, and I've never abused the motor. The power does not seem effected, still is running strong.

Question, what is the most likely culprit for this coolant problem, please don't say head gasket. I'm hoping its something like a water pump seal. and If it is a seal, how difficult are they to replace.

thanks

It's usually the water pump seals. Cheap fix

I'm pretty convinced I am getting coolant in the motor oil. The last two time I've changed the oil it has come out lite brown rather than dark black like times past. Also, the level in the reservoir seems to be dropping.
This is an '09' 250, with few not a ton of hours, and I've never abused the motor. The power does not seem effected, still is running strong.
Question, what is the most likely culprit for this coolant problem, please don't say head gasket. I'm hoping its something like a water pump seal. and If it is a seal, how difficult are they to replace.
thanks

It's one of the two, water pump seal is on the inside of the case, I usually just lean the bike over on its side and pull off the brake pedal and pull that case off. The water pump impeller is reverse threads. Just get a new gasket for the case cover or use semi drying liquid gasket. Start there, you will know if it's the head gasket or not after that. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

Also check for micro bubbles in the coolant stream by removing radiator cap and starting bike. This will let you know if head gasket has failed. But most likely WP seal.

It is possible, but HIGHLY unlikely that coolant is passing into the oil from the water pump seal.

It would have to pass through TWO seals in order to do so.  First the water pump seal and then

the oil seal also.   If either of those seals were bad you would be seeing oil or coolant dripping from

the water pump weep hole. 

More likely head gasket.