DR-Z 400 wheels interchangeability

Hi,

I recently purchased an DR-Z 400SM and now I want to start doing some trail riding. Where I live there are no S wheels for sale, but several wheels from RM125/250 and KTM models are available (which I've read will fit). Could someone confirm exactly what model of RM and KTM wheels will fit? Are spacers needed, or is it bolt-on? 

You could have the SM hubs relaced to new 18"(457.2mm) and 21"(533.4mm) rims and they will bolt on directly with no modification.All drz models use the same hubs.

1 hour ago, albani said:

If only there were a search engine for these things. 

Thanks a lot. What about front wheel? Will RM250 bolt on without any modifications or spacers? I read somewhere that the speedo will not work and that's okey, doesn't really need it on the trails..

Edited by soddo

im pretty sure the bearing sizes are different, and what your likely to run into is a 'spacer' where nobody knows what your talking about and it becomes a nightmare 'you' have to figure out, which usually costs you more money ... for dirt rims ive seen very reasonable prices on new aftermarket dirt rims on ebay ... my suggestion if you go with 'china' ebay rims though, and really any wheel your using a jacked up spacer on to make odd bearings work,  is just pack the bearing/seal area out with grease and keep that area well maintained and they'll be fine ....

RM (not RMZ) 125/250 front wheels bolt right up using the RM spacers. The only rear wheel that works without significant work would be the KTM wheel as mentioned above. Around here, KTM rear wheels are getting expensive and DRZ rear wheels have always been expensive; I still haven't found either one that isn't worn out for a decent price. The better deal is a new Tusk KTM rear wheel if you can deal with the color choices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

RM (not RMZ) 125/250 front wheels bolt right up using the RM spacers. The only rear wheel that works without significant work would be the KTM wheel as mentioned above. Around here, KTM rear wheels are getting expensive and DRZ rear wheels have always been expensive; I still haven't found either one that isn't worn out for a decent price. The better deal is a new Tusk KTM rear wheel if you can deal with the color choices.

When I did mine, I cut the spokes and bought new rims and Bulldog stainless hvy dty spokes and laced them to my existing hubs. It's been a while since I did this, but seems it was around $400 give or take. When I had the hubs cleared of any spokes I did my best to polish up the OEM's so that when done it all looked pretty decent.

I did have that KTM hub info book marked on my computer, but deleted just 3 or 4 weeks ago......but like you're saying, even they have gone up in price so it's not a cheap option anymore.

If anyone is interested in my old rims PM me....$25 + shipping.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guy for the info. I have however done some further research and it seems like talon makes hubs for DRZ400 that the speedo will work with. Have anyone heard anything about this?

Also, the DRZ400 and KTM rear rotors are not interchangeable? Does any model of the KTM use 240mm rotor that will fit?