Does your cable acuted clutch feel stiff?

Left the clutch cable for awhile.  Bought a new one but tried to lube the old one before installing the new one

Old one was a rusted mess.

New clutch cable for $13 on my bike is as good if not better than hydraulic :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

This ^^^.

Cables are relatively inexpensive and are sooooooooooooo smooth when new, especially the modern cables. In the old days, pretty stiff even when new. To me, definitely worth it to replace, even once a year, to have that silky smooth clutch with low actuation pressure.

• Like 1

Ya I ordered a Motion Pro one and IMO the inner cable is thick than OEM and makes the clutch easier to pull BUT the place I ordered from was out of stock and shipped me an AllBalls one instead which functionally works but more like OEM. (I did email them and they gave me a $15 gift certificate for future :) )

Still when I got it on yesterday - SMOOTH as butter :)

In case anyone cares, I'm also using a Sunline V1 clutch lever which again IMO is super adjustable, makes the clutch easier and well worth the $$$$.

The inner cable at the lever looked ok but the inner part at the engine was a rusty mess as I mentioned. Not sure if this pic shows how bad :(

58f50ba1765bc_20170417_1135211.jpg.dd58ebd0e15ecbbc60a921a70ecc6cbf.jpg

Edited by filterx

This right here is the key to being able to 1 finger your cable clutch consistently. Being able to do that makes a world of difference not only with fatigue but also being able to advance your riding in tech terrain.  

• Like 1

Never really had a problem with cable clutches, honestly almost lighter than the hydros I've used, so idk the hype?? I don't even meticulously take care of my clutch cables either

12 hours ago, RawbW said:

Never really had a problem with cable clutches, honestly almost lighter than the hydros I've used, so idk the hype?? I don't even meticulously take care of my clutch cables either

You've obviously never used a hydro with MME levers.  That combo makes the clutch pull super light, way lighter then any cable clutch and it has great modulation to boot.

DSC00028.JPG

• Like 1

@Obi-Wan Cojone

i haven't tried that setup, but il have to try that one day, looks sweet!a few of my machines have had longer actuation arms done and an Asv lever. Next hydro bike I own il try your setup though

• Like 1

Some of the mfg seem to think we need heavy pull clutches, but a light lever pull makes it less tiring to ride and IMO provides better control.  I have a Trials bike with a hydraulic clutch and shorty levers, clutch lever pull is 3.9lbs at 4 2/2" from the pivot.  My benchmark for clutch lever pull. I use a digital luggage scale to measure the pull. Compare that my CRF250X with 8.4lbs at 5" from the pivot, or my XR200 at >9lbs at 4" (shorty lever).

I modded the X down to 5.8lbs and the XR to 4.8lbs

20 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Some of the mfg seem to think we need heavy pull clutches, but a light lever pull makes it less tiring to ride and IMO provides better control.  I have a Trials bike with a hydraulic clutch and shorty levers, clutch lever pull is 3.9lbs at 4 2/2" from the pivot.  My benchmark for clutch lever pull. I use a digital luggage scale to measure the pull. Compare that my CRF250X with 8.4lbs at 5" from the pivot, or my XR200 at >9lbs at 4" (shorty lever).

I modded the X down to 5.8lbs and the XR to 4.8lbs

Here's a picture of MME's clutch pull.

FC1.jpg

• Like 1