Any other woods riders do this?

Before you pass someone opisite sides on the trails, throw up a hand signal number to show how many riders are coming still behind you! I didn't care much til I had some little knee high followers and it helps alot, many Ohio riders also do this! If nothing else they think what the hell is he doing and they look for something!

• Like 2

I sign how many people are behind me.  In my experience dirt bikers are much better at doing this than snowmobilers

That's the rules in the provincial ATV trail network here (some regions allow 2-wheelers)

When passing other quads/SxS/bikes in the opposite direction,

the lead rider of a group indicates the number of following riders with his fingers (flashing all 5 five can mean more than 5)

If you're riding alone / no one following, you simply show a closed fist / don't show any fingers.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mlatour said:

That the rules in the provincial ATV trail network here (some regions allow 2-wheelers)

When passing other quads/SxS/bikes in the opposite direction,

the lead rider of a group indicates the number of following riders with his fingers (flashing all 5 five can mean more than 5)

If you're riding alone / no one following you, simply show a closed fist / don't show any fingers.

Most people, MOST, except those pesky AWD golf cart jockeys do this, as do I. I find it very helpful. When they signal a large group is behind them, I'll pull over and let them by. Makes it easier on everyone. This is in WV, so any sanity is welcome.

Affirrmred, I have zero experience with snow mobiles. I think it's a great ideal! I know of 2 people with broken bones due to corners or humps. Do not crash to do it (I've been close to edges) but make a valiant try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoking 2's said:

:lol: even if you can only use your middle left, it's better than nothing!

Ya middle left is how I always let them know there's 1 rider. I thought the closed fist just meant white power or someing :excuseme:

Loser sign means 2. Shocker sign 3. Spock signal 4. Etc etc..

• Like 1

I don't, and I never consider a riders finger count as an accurate representation of what's behind him or her. There can easily be another rider, or group behind the group you are passing. I ride prepared to encounter other trail users all the time. It certainly doesn't hurt to give a count of riders behind you though, unless you hit a tree while signalling,especially in the case of small kids.

Edited by motovita

Yep.

Though sometimes when I give them the peace sign I'm not sure if they get it :)

I've also gotten some weird looks from this one.

jdm_shocker_2pink_1stink1.jpg

And then its just generally good practice to stay on the outside on blind corners

• Like 2

I keep right on blind corners here in the US.  A couple friends had a headon last year when both were hanging outside on a blind corner. 

I passed 4 riders Saturday and the lead one waved, but as I passed I wondered if it wasn't a wave, but a count.  The trails are open right now and I could easily see all 4 back to back. 

18 hours ago, SteveKing84 said:

I sign how many people are behind me.  In my experience dirt bikers are much better at doing this than snowmobilers

Opposite for me - nearly everyone on a sled does this, but I rarely see moto riders doing it. 

Then there's the noobs on rental sleds that wave back... :lol:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Before you pass someone opisite sides on the trails, throw up a hand signal number to show how many riders are coming still behind you! I didn't care much til I had some little knee high followers and it helps alot, many Ohio riders also do this! If nothing else they think what the hell is he doing and they look for something!

I started doing this after reading how this was common trail etiquette here on TT. Funny part is, everyone I've ridden with or talked with since who rides around here has never heard of doing this before.

I wish this was a common thing around me. After reading about a number of head ons on this forum, I just pull off the trail if I see someone and kill the bike to listen for other riders. I'm not racing, I'd rather make it home and to work the next day than hit someone else, especially someone elses kid. If its a nice flowy section of trail or I want to ride the section uninterrupted, I just turn around and have at it again. 

I'm happy to hear its not just here! Ride safe and save some money on bills and hope your opisite rider feels the same.

How about you keeping your hands on your bars and I will keep mine on my bars and we all get to keep going safely. I have had more sled heads run off the trail trying to signal than I can count.  On a public  trail system assume some one is coming, always.