Wambaw Virtual Racing: Post em if you got em!

Let's race! Post your loop times, trail head to trail head or loop to loop. It's honor system, but feel free to post video or tracking screen shots. Here are the categories. Even if you don't want to compete, still useful for folks to see this info. So please post what you got. We have a fantastic resource at Wambaw, so it's important to have an active community that we can mobilize if we need to.

WHICH LOOP:  South Loop, North Loop, 5 Mile South Loop, 15 Mile South Loop, etc.

NET TIME: 

BIKE: 

TRACKING SOFTWARE: How did you track your time and speed? Recommendations for good software. Tips for analyzing, etc.

AVERAGE AND MAX SPEED: You may have to do a little math to get correct average if you start your tracking software before leaving the parking lot or don't turn if off when you return. Just use distance divided by time and you'll have the correct average.

AVERAGE AND MAX HR:

TRAIL CONDITIONS

WEATHER:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll start us off.

WHICH LOOP:  South Loop (trail head to trail head)

NET TIME: 48 Minutes (fast for me)

BIKE: 2005 YZ250

TRACKING SOFTWARE: Used Wahoo Fitness app then exported as "FIT" file to my PC. Opened it with RideViewer, a great free visualizer for those who don't own one. Didn't have my heart rate monitor or there would be a lot more info on there. I usually average HR of about 150 and max out a few times at 180 (probably restarting the bike after a get off). Amazing how taxing picking up and starting a bike can be if you already cranking out energy on a nice run.

AVERAGE/MAX SPEED: 23.57/55.3 mph

AVERAGE/MAX HR: 150/180

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Smooth except for power lines, which are whooped. Trail just groomed about a week ago. Sandy and dry.

WEATHER: 80 degrees, dry and clear, beautiful spring day. A few people on bikes and quads (on a Friday)

Wambaw-South-Loop-4-14-2017-YZ250.jpg.d15b891a6e508393d3e23cba496288cf.jpg

Short 3-minute video. Pilot circuit is slightly rich, but bike running great.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 2

WHICH LOOP:  South Loop (trail head to trail head). Only half of the trail was open. GPS says I covered 11.3 miles.

NET TIME: 29:13 Minutes (first time I ever timed it)

BIKE: 2005 YZ250

TRACKING SOFTWARE: Used Garmin VIRB. Converted GPX file to FIT file using http://www.gpsies.com, which can convert to/from just about anything. Visualized it with RideViewer, a great free visualizer for those who don't own one.

AVERAGE/MAX SPEED: 23.21/48.1 mph (no access to longest straight road due to rain, so slower top speed).

AVERAGE/MAX HR: 154/172 (lowered max by 8 bpm since a ride 14 days ago, but average was 4 bpm higher.

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Excellent after recent rains. Sandy and moist. Mostly smooth except for whoops under power lines.

WEATHER: 86 degrees, dry and partially overcast.

Wambaw-South-Half-Loop-4-28-2017.gif.d45c8e24cfd28055b110666b380dd8ba.gif

Short video. Still have an annoying off-idle burble, but bike actually runs and feels fantastic. VIRB camera accentuates the burble sound. If you ignore that, you can hear it sounds almost electric, or at least that is what it feels like. On the pipe all the time. Nice.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tmroller said:

That is a little high tech for me. Lol

You can post which loop you ride and how long it takes you. :ride:

WHICH LOOP:  South Loop, full 18 miles

NET TIME: 47 minutes (Would be 45 minutes if I didn't wreck trying to do wheelies, see video 11:00, it's actually quite funny)

BIKE: 2002 CRF450R

TRACKING SOFTWARE: Random free road bike GPS app

AVERAGE AND MAX SPEED: AVG: 22.9 mph, MAX: 48.7 mph (although I think it is higher than this when I opened it up on the straight away)

AVERAGE AND MAX HR: N/A

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Groomed, minimal whoops but some present, clear of people

WEATHER: 72 and sunny

I'm still trying to teach myself how to wheelie. Today was the first time I wrecked trying it; I'm normally able to hold them for a while. It's at 11:00 in the video. I'm ok, just a bruised tailbone and a scratch on my forearm.

IMG_0277.thumb.PNG.440be550dced41bd92e18cbdf3e641ec.PNG

IMG_0278.thumb.PNG.2e3b78cbf55ff35067a7bb861a709a16.PNG

Edited by Thefischerman

That's the new time to beat. Awesome run! 

Just watched the wheelie crash. You okay?! 

Edited by LSHD

1 hour ago, LSHD said:

That's the new time to beat. Awesome run! 

Just watched the wheelie crash. You okay?! 

Oh yeah I'm fine. I got right back up and kept riding. Took me about a minute of kicking my bike to get it running so all in all my dumb self took 1:30-2:00 off my time. Didn't hit my head at all and my backpack took most of the brunt. I just scraped up my forearm. I've been laughing at myself and the video all afternoon. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1

I almost always have 2-3 tip-overs. Robs your time! Had two on my 48 minute run, plus stopped twice to tune my air screw. Will try to make it through without any goofing off next time I run it.

Strangely my 3 GPS units (Garmin, VIRB, and phone) always read 19 miles and change on the south loop, so my average speed shows up higher than yours even though you are actually going faster than me!

I haven't had a tip over in the last few times I've ridden. I came close a couple times this last run but saved them. 

I was curious about the speeds like you just mentioned haha. I just downloaded a free gps app for cycling to track my run. The time is accurate since it just runs like a stopwatch but I don't know how accurate the speeds are. A little before I wrecked I had 5th nearly pinned but the app says top speed was only 48.7 mph (and it wasn't even at the point where I was going fastest) :rolleyes:  

Edited by Thefischerman

Yes, I think my max speed is usually higher than recorded. I think the GPS is only laying down marks once a second or less. But we know the course and using start/stop through the signs at the trailhead is all you need.

If I fall it's usually because I didn't carry momentum into one of the sandy turns. Front end washes out and it's basically a slow motion get off. Doesn't happen every time, but probably every other ride at least once. I was off the bike for over 6 months after I got my knee rebuilt. Getting better all the time.

NEW PERSONAL BEST, AND NEW TIME TO BEAT

WHICH LOOP:  Full South Loop (trail head to trail head).

DISTANCE: 18.579 miles

NET TIME: 43:55 min:sec

BIKE: 2005 YZ250

TRACKING SOFTWARE: Used Garmin Forerunner 35. Visualized the ride in RideViewer (free from Garmin). VIRB camera didn't get turned on due to a distraction, so no video of the fastest run of my life. Arg!

AVERAGE/MAX SPEED: 25.38/67.54 mph (fast speed was on that one road. Whoops on power lines ranged from 39-46 mph)

AVERAGE/MAX HR: 154/171 (same as usual)

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Best I have ever seen; brown sugar after recent rains. Sandy and moist. Mostly smooth except for whoops under power lines.

WEATHER: 46 degrees, dry and partially overcast, perfect temps for riding hard

NOTES: Beat my former fastest time (from two weeks ago) by 8%. Bike shock spring lock washer had come loose in the past and sag was 109! Fixed it to 103 before this run. Turns much better. Fell over twice (slow motion get offs), once at the wooden bridge creek crossing and once turning around after missing woods entrance at end of power lines.

5a44dc33baf2d_Wambaw12-27-17PoorReceptionForerunnerWatch.png.d541fcbdf23f5cb98317a2bbefcdfb6a.png

5a44dc37118cf_HeartRate155171WambawSouth12-27-17.thumb.png.3a6daf07c4ee463421b044874613dcac.png

Edited by LSHD

Best time ever on North Full Loop!

WHICH LOOP:  North Loop Full

NET TIME: 49:24

BIKE: 2005 YZ250 Woods Beast

TRACKING SOFTWARE: RideWithGPS App and Wahoo HR Monitor

AVERAGE AND MAX SPEED: Averaged 23.2 mph. Maxed at 49 mph on power line whoops.

AVERAGE AND MAX HR: Average Heart Rate 161, Max 180

TRAIL CONDITIONS: Damp and perfect. A few puddles to slow you down near the little pond.

WEATHER: Crystal clear and 64 degrees.

1863902327_WambawNorthFull11-30-2018BESTTIME23.2mphTime49min24seconds.png.eb857766ab2470537b643a98864ec3e0.png