KDX220 Mystery forks

SO i just picked up a new to me 2002 kdx220. it is my 2nd kdx220 i have owned and definitely the best of the 16, or some odd, bikes Ive owned!

to start with it has a USD inverted fork on the front, bar risers, rebuilt engine, fmf gnarly pipe and silencer, pro taper handlebars, gripper style seat cover, black rear rim etc. etc. the previous owner had this thing set up and really dialed in! besides needing the carb tweaked it feels perfect to ride! except....

the front forks are leaking very badly, after riding this last weekend A pretty good sized puddle was left in my truck bed. I have replaced seals on a few other bikes in the past, so this is something i can handle...

my question is I dont actually know what bike the forks came off of, so I dont know what seals to order! the previous owner claimed they are mid-late 90's klx 250/300 forks. do the seals have like part numbers on them from the mold they used to make them? IF i posted a picture are you guys pretty familiar with fork differences and might be able to cross reference them?

what do you think? any ideas? the fork guards have holes drilled for the holeshot device to plug in. i think. the wheel also has a gear hub(?) for trip meter/mph...the fork guards obviously are not designed for this bike because only half the holes line up. i also noticed most klx brake lines use a hard line ran under the caliper.

the rotor looks more like kx to me. its difficult because the forks also dont have to be off a kawasaki bike either.

Looks like a klx 300 fork to me.  the most telling is the lack of an axle clamp on the left fork leg.  All KX's have a clamp on both legs. KLX only has it on the right leg.  Someone already changed you front brake line to the CR style routing so the brake line isn't original anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-KAWASAKI-KLX-300R-FRONT-FORK-SUSPENSION-04-KLX300/131811229410?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dc92d293a990543b3885825cab1fc9bfa%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D371912412276

so i measured the lower tubes (stanchions?) and i got 43mm.

according to the little research I've done so far both the 250 and 300 have 43mm tubes. did they use the same forks for both bikes? or is that just a really common size for Kawasaki forks from that generation.

what bike should i buy them for? lol im ready to pull the trigger on this and get them ordered while the week is still young.

KLX guards don't have the hose clamp like you want. That is why Mr. Goodwrench put those gawdAWFUL guards on there, to hold the hose.

If you can look at some 2004 RM250 guards, that might be a solution. I have read reports that it works on some of the KX later forks for KDX swaps.

• Like 1

guards looks fine IMO. but if you wanted a different look you can fit 06+ kxF guards on it

the 250 and 300 use the same seals so you cant go wrong ordering for either. even a 03 kx250 uses the same part #

my bad, when you look on Motosport the items have the same part # on the fiche #92049.  but the secondary number is different, klx is 1373 kx is 1599.

Edited by DylDog

12 hours ago, DylDog said:

my bad, when you look on Motosport the items have the same part # on the fiche #92049.  but the secondary number is different, klx is 1373 kx is 1599.

Read my post in the FAQ regarding part numbers.

KLX forks, no rebound adjuster. I just rebuilt a set last weekend.