Just a question, do skid plates help a lot with off road riding? I don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth. But if it is, best place and best price to purchase one?

Indispensable if you ride anything other than MX.  I finally bought one a couple years ago when I experienced a softball sized rock kicked up by the rider in front of me bounce off the  underside of my engine.  I was sure I was screwed, but luckily no damage (the stock skid "cage" saved it I guess).  I decided right there not to tempt fate any longer.

Indispensable if you ride anything other than MX.  I finally bought one a couple years ago when I experienced a softball sized rock kicked up by the rider in front of me bounce off the  underside of my engine.  I was sure I was screwed, but luckily no damage (the stock skid "cage" saved it I guess).  I decided right there not to tempt fate any longer.

Yeah, I ride a lot of off-road. I bought one last night haha!

Not sure if your riding a kx85 based on your user name. If you are get a skid plate. The kx85/100 is one of the least protected motors i have ever seen.

Yes they do. They help prevent rocks from getting flung up from your front tire and hitting the engine. Potentially creating a hole in your engine block

Not sure if your riding a kx85 based on your user name. If you are get a skid plate. The kx85/100 is one of the least protected motors i have ever seen.

Yup lol I picked one up
  • Like 1

I think some of it depends on your riding style and location.  Most the places I ride have very few rocks, but I love going over big logs and the bash guard hits every time a screw up my timing.  I have tried a couple and the Works Connection is the best.  Thick Aluminum, form fitted to the frame, and pretty quick removal for changing oil.

I'm going to be making one out of tractor trailer mud flaps since I have a huge supply of them. Where I ride is very rocky, and I choose to go over logs all the time, so I've hit the bottom a few times and have actually dented the frame (such a scary moment lol)

1 hour ago, Dannyn01 said:

I'm going to be making one out of tractor trailer mud flaps since I have a huge supply of them. Where I ride is very rocky, and I choose to go over logs all the time, so I've hit the bottom a few times and have actually dented the frame (such a scary moment lol)

Say what? :crazy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dannyn01 said:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anyone who looks at a damaged skid plate and says it's worthless you realize all that damage would have been on your case, right?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

Anyone who looks at a damaged skid plate and says it's worthless you realize all that damage would have been on your case, right?

Ever heard of sarcasm????

Just bought a 2014 Husky, the previous owner didn't have a skid plate on it. The paint on the bottom of the frame is all gone and one of the tube is dented. Surprised the engine case doesn't have a hole in it......I'd say they are worth it. I bought a Works Connection, they look sweet.

• Like 1

They're definitely pretty important, but it depends on where you ride. If you're on flowing trails that don't have much obstacles, you can get away without one. 

I ride on trails that have logs all down in them and tons of big rocks. I only have a plastic skid plate, but it's definitely saved my bike. 

Just judging how scratched up my skid plate is I can't imagine riding without one haha