2001 RM125 Pipe and Porting Combo

Recently finished my project bike. Its a 2001 RM125. I noticed the cylinder had porting done before I sent it out to be replated. After riding, I can tell its ported for all top end. It hits to hard for my liking. Is it ok to get a pipe for low/mid hit with porting done for the top end? Right now it has the stock pipe. The stock pipe is in rough shape so I'm looking at getting the FMF Fatty with the shorty silencer. Advice appreciated.

Just my thoughts and experience:  Pipes don't really correct porting for you.   Putting a pipe planned for higher rpms on a cylinder planned for low rpm generally just keeps the engine from working as well in the lower rpms and unless the engine is carbureted for higher rpms you don't get a gain up there and vice versa.   If you have an engine with more moderate porting you can get a better effect etc with one or the other,  but still not worth the change for the trade.  You can get them to feel better etc.   I never was around an rm 125 that wasn't very high end oriented,  and with big bore kits they can become a lot more comfy down lower,  as all the 125's do if the porting is basically left where the boring bar leaves it (it retards transfer port timing as well as increasing volume,  which makes the carburetor effectively "smaller").  

If you put a degree wheel on your engine and come up with the timing specs,  Bill over at Bill's Pipes will probably have a pipe suggestion for you,  and he does know Suzukis.

FYI if you need the new pipe like you say,  the fatty would be my pick.   Set the float and jet and you may like it well enough as is.   Thinnest base gasket you can find too maybe.  

Edited by ossagp