Adjusting throttle slack?

There's a decent amount of slack before the throttle actually starts to to something. How would I adjust it to be either less, or completely gone?

3/16" or 4mm is about the average free play (grip rotation) recommended in service manuals.

Also, check that there's enough slack not to pull the cable tight when you turn the handlebars all the way to the stops on each side.

Download a service manual specific to your bike year/model, all the infos are in there.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Is this for the SSR 150? I'll assume it is.

If so, has the free play been increasing noticably since it was new, or was it like this from day one?

You should be able to adjust the cable at the throttle housing. Some cables also have an adjustment tube in the middle of the cable or where it meets the carburetor. 

If the free play has been increasing gradually, one, or both of two things has happened. 

All cables stretch as they wear in. Chinese bikes cables probably more so than others. The good news is that after the break in period it will hold adjustment. This is the first cause of exsessive free play. 

The next is the cable adjustment points. They can come loose and tend to shorten themselves gradually over time. Blue locktite is your friend, doubly so on Chinese bikes.

• Like 1

My not apply, but good for future ref:  My Kaw 450 has 2 cables with in-line adjusters near the housing.  There is a certain procedure for setting them in the service manual.  You loosen both, then set the return cable to almost zero play. Then set the accel cable to a couple mm arc length play measured at the largest diameter on the grip. Some like more and some like less.

• Like 1

Is this for the SSR 150? I'll assume it is.
If so, has the free play been increasing noticably since it was new, or was it like this from day one?
You should be able to adjust the cable at the throttle housing. Some cables also have an adjustment tube in the middle of the cable or where it meets the carburetor. 
If the free play has been increasing gradually, one, or both of two things has happened. 
All cables stretch as they wear in. Chinese bikes cables probably more so than others. The good news is that after the break in period it will hold adjustment. This is the first cause of exsessive free play. 
The next is the cable adjustment points. They can come loose and tend to shorten themselves gradually over time. Blue locktite is your friend, doubly so on Chinese bikes.

Yes it is for the SSR150, yes it has increased since new. I'm guessing it's from snapping it open and closed in the trails, for a few hours at a time. This bike has the one directly on the actual grip piece, and another one a few inches down from there, I don't know if there are any more though. Thanks for the info! :)

When I install a cable, I thread it all the way into the assembly on the handlebars, and then slowly back it out to where I prefer. I then LIGHTLY snug the lockring against the throttle housing. If I need to fine tune it afterwards, I use either the inline adjuster or the carb cap, if applicable.

Throttle cable lock ring.jpg

• Like 1