1955 ford truck engine

so i have a 1955 ford f-100 and i want to know if it would be worth it to have someone rebuild it or if i should just buy a crate motor and put it in. I don't know much about it so would love some useful info. 

thanks!

Its almost always cheaper to order a 302 or 351 reman. Cheap, plentiful, and easy to work on.  Not sure what you have in that truck now, but considering the age, it'll likely be harder to source parts for it.  Of course, anything can be done if you're willing to spend the time and money on it.  If that is the case, LMC Truck is a great resource for older rigs.  I have a 87 Chevy 3/4T with the 350TBI and TH400.  Runs good, but is getting tired.  Would like to replace the original trans with an overdrive unit, but would also need to replace the transfer case (4x4) and driveshafts.  If I'm going to do anything at all, I'll source a complete powertrain out of a newer truck, say a 6.0L with the factory 4L80e from a boneyard.  You may also have luck finding a 5.0L and AOD from a boneyard, too.  If taken care of, they last forever.  I had the original 289 V8 and 3spd C4 trans in my first mustang, a 1968 hardtop. That setup went 236k before I rebuilding.  I only did so because I had the money to do it, not because it needed it.

The engine in it now is a 302, and thanks for the info. I am trying to keep it as original as possible but i think it would be easier for me just to put a new motor in but i wanted to see just in case, thanks!

The engine in it now is a 302, and thanks for the info. I am trying to keep it as original as possible but i think it would be easier for me just to put a new motor in but i wanted to see just in case, thanks!

If its a 302 its not original.

It should be a 239.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, hadfield4wd said:

If its a 302 its not original.

It should be a 239.

ok well we were also trying to figure that out but the guy that we got it from said that's what it was and he said he never changed anything major so maybe he was wrong and it is a 239

Either way a 1955 truck will ride like a stagecoach. Plus your trans will only be a 3 speed, won't give any kind of highway speed. Lousy drum brakes etc etc.

I like resto-mods if you're actually planning on using it.

I worked at a restoration shop 20+ years ago. This will not be a cheap and easy truck to get on the road.

23 hours ago, hadfield4wd said:

Either way a 1955 truck will ride like a stagecoach. Plus your trans will only be a 3 speed, won't give any kind of highway speed. Lousy drum brakes etc etc.

I like resto-mods if you're actually planning on using it.

I worked at a restoration shop 20+ years ago. This will not be a cheap and easy truck to get on the road.

the trans in it now is a regular five speed and i believe that's the original motor and trans.

Upload pics

neither 302 or 5 speed trans would be original in 55, way too early for any of that.closest thing would be a 239/2-seventy something y block.

if there actually is a 302/5 speed under there sounds like someone yanked it out of a 80s or so mustang or pickup