2017 Sherco 300 SE-R - First Ride Impressions

I went on my first ride on the 17 300 SE-R, and oh my how I was impressed!

Basic setup:

Suspension - First ride, so I didn't touch a damn thing. I figured I'd get in one ride to break it in before messing with the clickers. Sag was close enough (i'm 172 lbs, so most bikes are targeted to my weight region).

1. Forks - I was a little worried going from the excellent KYB SSS, but the forks tracked well, didn't push in the corners, and didn't deflect too much. Didn't even play with the clickers (lazy I know...)
  2. Shock - Again, thought it would be a downgrade from the KYB, but was pretty happy.

Motor - Going from a heavily modified 08 YZ250 (essentially a YZ250x with the stock YZ tranny) to the Sherco is a pretty major departure, had me changing my riding style to more torque-centric than powerband-centric. The plus - much less wheelspin so traction was abundant. Drawback - Getting it on the pipe is totally different than the YZ, so when you want that power explosion it's not really there. I hope jetting will remedy this. Speaking of jetting!

Jetting - NECJ middle clip, 168 main, 38 pilot, 1.25 AS. AMSOil Dominator at 50:1, 93 octane pump fuel

1. Starts up with choke on, turn choke off after 20 seconds
  2. Idle is a little rough until it's all warmed up, no excessive smoking
  3. Once under way and it's warmed up, the idle will creep up. Had to lower it twice before it finally calmed down
  4. Down low is super tractor-like/4-stroke, but no balls
  5. Mid-range is strong and smooth, maybe too smooth?
  6. Top end is where it falls flat, but i'm thinking it's just a main jet adjustment away. I'm still looking for the YZ style WHOOOSHHHH when it hits the powerband

Other -

1. I hate all the damn switches on the bars (kill switch, lights, master kill switch, starter/ign. curve selector). Need to relocate the big ones somewhere where they don't get smashed/I kill the engine mid climb.
  2. The linkage tends to hang on bigger logs. On the YZ i never noticed the issue. I have a linkage slider coming soon
  3. The Enduro Engineering handguards don't play nice with the clutch/brake hoses. Should have gone with the Cycra. Not the bike's fault obviously
  4. Love the juice clutch!
  5. Love the starter! As the ride went on, the starter worked better/faster, i guess the battery got fully charged. Spins fast, even with the stock Yuasa unit. When it dies i'll throw an EarthX in
  6. The stock FMF Gnarly is more narrow than the one I had on the YZ. I still have a carbon guard coming for it
  7. The stock plastic glideplate worked well, but no protection for the water pump or left sidecover. Enduro Engineering will remedy that
  8. No need to hunt for trees to lean the bike on, because sidestand.
  9. Brakes are great
  10. Black rims are pretty, but it took me double the time to swap rear tires cause I was afraid to scratch it...
  11. Fuel tank holds plenty of fuel, doesn't get in the way
  12. Carb access is a bitch! To re-jet, you need to pull the tank. Small price to pay

All in all, I think i made a smart buy. More bang for my buck vs the KTM, and it seems to be more ride-ready than the pumpkin.

That's it. Will report again after suspension and carb tweaks.

• Like 6

well?  how did it go?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a new 2018 300 se-r racing, and am eating up any and all info on these bikes.

21 hours ago, hawaii500_1999 said:

well?  how did it go?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a new 2018 300 se-r racing, and am eating up any and all info on these bikes.

Good bikes all in all I'm impressed coming from ktm

Great engine. No need to mess with jetting in the manual IMO. You don't need to remove the tank to jet lol. I like the xplor forks. Valving suits me although I am a light a rider . Chassis is good and flexy. Kind of twitchy in high speed stuff so I ran a lower sag than recommended and ran the top of forks flush with clamps, handles great but you have to be on point. Best turning bike I've ridden. Everything tucks in nicely as far as pipe and linkage and the ergos with the shrouds etc is great. Top quality parts are used. Chain guide is high quality plastic instead of metal frame and doesn't bend, all SKF bearings and seals solid billet shifter tip nutserts instead of wood screws etc, seat is nice and thick and easy to remove. Comes with V force 4. Bike runs cool also has overflow. Gearing works for me it's a little shorter than I thought it would be. Big stator. The quality is there and bike is ready to go out the box IMO.

As far as the negatives, the clutch could use refinement. It is heavier and a bit notchy compared to Ktm. I also prefer the Ktm bars and found the shercos too narrow and tall for my tastes. I like to run my brake pedal a tad bit low maybe a few mm lower than peg and adjustment is limited due to brake pedal clearance with the frame. I had to file it down because the way the frame is shaped allows little clearance even in stock position and it will touch the frame when brake fades. They use an Allen head for the oil drain plug instead of a bolt which is dumb. The oem wheels are very soft which is something I have sadly come to expect. Spokes stretch a lot and are sherco specific. Plastic is thick but breaks instead of bends. No idea why they put copper grease on every single bolt including ones that need loctite.. One of my pegs doesn't line up perfectly like the other one but no biggie. High shipping charges for parts and lack of distributors irks me. That's all I can think of for now..,

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Good bikes all in all I'm impressed coming from ktm

Great engine. No need to mess with jetting in the manual IMO. You don't need to remove the tank to jet lol. I like the xplor forks. Valving suits me although I am a light a rider . Chassis is good and flexy. Kind of twitchy in high speed stuff so I ran a lower sag than recommended and ran the top of forks flush with clamps, handles great but you have to be on point. Best turning bike I've ridden. Everything tucks in nicely as far as pipe and linkage and the ergos with the shrouds etc is great. Top quality parts are used. Chain guide is high quality plastic instead of metal frame and doesn't bend, all SKF bearings and seals solid billet shifter tip nutserts instead of wood screws etc, seat is nice and thick and easy to remove. Comes with V force 4. Bike runs cool also has overflow. Gearing works for me it's a little shorter than I thought it would be. Big stator. The quality is there and bike is ready to go out the box IMO.

As far as the negatives, the clutch could use refinement. It is heavier and a bit notchy compared to Ktm. I also prefer the Ktm bars and found the shercos too narrow and tall for my tastes. I like to run my brake pedal a tad bit low maybe a few mm lower than peg and adjustment is limited due to brake pedal clearance with the frame. I had to file it down because the way the frame is shaped allows little clearance even in stock position and it will touch the frame when brake fades. They use an Allen head for the oil drain plug instead of a bolt which is dumb. The oem wheels are very soft which is something I have sadly come to expect. Spokes stretch a lot and are sherco specific. Plastic is thick but breaks instead of bends. No idea why they put copper grease on every single bolt including ones that need loctite.. One of my pegs doesn't line up perfectly like the other one but no biggie. High shipping charges for parts and lack of distributors irks me. That's all I can think of for now..,

thanks!

so main negatives are plastic breaks easy, rims are soft and high shipping costs on replacement parts. 

seems the other negatives are somewhat rider preference.

do you get your replacement parts from Clay Stuckey? 

Well mainly the clutch pull/performance and brake pedal clearance. Other than that it's better than my Ktm IMO. Plastics were supposed to be revised for 2018. There's not too many choices right now other than the sherco website and was quoted something like $15 shipping for a swingarm tab guard in the states. It's not going to break the bank but I think it would help keep guys sherco loyal if costs were more in line. U will end up spending more money on parts than Ktm/beta for that reason. It is what it is until there are more distributors that offer free shipping with minimum purchase. It will happen eventually. I guess these things are to be expected of a growing brand I just wish someone told me that when I was asking pre purchase questions about parts costs I was assured everything is the same or cheaper but the bike performance out of the box honestly makes it work it.

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

thanks!

it was between this, the Husky TE300 and maybe an KTM 300 XC-W. 

think i'll pull the trigger on this one in the next month or so.

BBrrraaaaaapppp!!!!

4 hours ago, hawaii500_1999 said:

thanks!

it was between this, the Husky TE300 and maybe an KTM 300 XC-W. 

think i'll pull the trigger on this one in the next month or so.

BBrrraaaaaapppp!!!!

You get more for your money with the sherco. Side by side next to the Ktm and husky its no question. That new gas gas is worth looking at as well.

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1