2017 250xc review

I thought i would share my short term experience i have with the 17 ktm 250xc.  Bought the bike 3 weeks ago and have been getting in tune with it for this upcoming enduro season.  Me im a 45yo 200lbs very fast B ,mid pack A level woods rider. On open fast terrain I'm more a mid B .

My main current bikes had been a 13 150sx set up for woods and a 2016 250xcf . Im a 2st guy but wanted to try a 4st . For the most part i really liked the 250xcf but certain aspects didn't feel quite right. I was torn between the 150 and 250f on which bike i was faster on. The 150 was light flickable but the 250f had more usable power and was better planted. 

I wanted a bike that was agile, light,could turn good with power and stability. If i could only combine the 150sx with the 250xcf i would have the perfect bike.

I decided to take a gamble on the 250xc . Here is my review of the 2017 KTM 250XC.

WOW.........

Its going to be hard to sum it up but i will try. I have never been so impressed with any other bike i have owned before.  My firt ride i did was almost magical.  It left me in shock and amazement on how good the bike was. It felt like i had the bike for years, it was so natural and dialed in.

The motor.  Smooth, smooth with more smooth.  Did i say the motor was smooth. Now i did jet it with the JD kit and set the float height.  The power is perfect. Very linear almost 4st like. Good responsive bottom end and mid with a free reving top. You can go up a gear and lug it along or keep the rpms up and scream it. I went out with the wife yesterday.  She is a beginner rider and doesn't go very fast. The bike was just fine putting along right off idle in 2nd and 3rd gear. Super easy motor to go slow on. When i wanted to do a quick sprint there was zero load up and the response was crisp. Power wise it has tons more than the 150 and good deal more than the 250xcf below half throttle.  The 250xcf is real strong up top so i would say there pretty close  to even in the upper rpm. 

Suspension.

The new AER forks in my opinion are the best ktm has put on a bike.

I was dumbfounded on how well it worked out of the box. As of now i will not be getting re-valve. With the pressure at 135 psi and compression set 3 clicks softer there about perfect. These forks are so smooth and progressive.  They handle the small roots and trail junk along with the big woops and high speed hits. The bike tracks excellent with little or no deflation. 

The shock I went up 1 spring rate. Its good ,but not as good as the forks. My only complaint is its just a little harsh over multiple small roots. Ive played with the clickers some and have it where im happy with it. When i have the shock serviced it will get e re-valve but its not needed that bad.

Handling 

This bike is a dream. It feels lighter than it is. Its 14lbs heavier than my 150sx but riding it you would never know. It honestly feels more like a 125 than a 250. The bike corners amazingly good. You just think and it goes there. The bike is every bit as flickable compared to the 150 but is still stable. It has a good planted feel, not as good as the 4st but still good. I can make tight corners faster on this bike compared to my others.

This bike is the total package. Light weight, quick handling,  stable, solid usable power, smooth suspension literally a dream bike. I have never been blow away by a bike before untill now.

My 150sx is now for sale. I took it for a short ride and realized its never going to be used again. The 250xc just kills it. Im keeping the 250xcf.  The xcf is a good bike and will be ridden, it will be my secondary, backup bike.

I will add i did own a 200xcw up untill last year. I now know why ktm dropped the 200. 

There has been some post recently on 250 vs 300. I have never owned a 300 but have ridden several. I have no regrets buying the 250 over the 300. 

• Like 6

Nice write up there.

Assuming you've still got the bike would you perhaps have a few minutes free to share your current thoughts on it now that you've had it a while.

I'm considering getting one myself (I've found a dealer that has a new 18 in) so I'm reading up on / trying to as many peoples thoughts on them as I can :).

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, GreenMT_Rider said:

I thought i would share my short term experience i have with the 17 ktm 250xc.  Bought the bike 3 weeks ago and have been getting in tune with it for this upcoming enduro season.  Me im a 45yo 200lbs very fast B ,mid pack A level woods rider. On open fast terrain I'm more a mid B .

My main current bikes had been a 13 150sx set up for woods and a 2016 250xcf . Im a 2st guy but wanted to try a 4st . For the most part i really liked the 250xcf but certain aspects didn't feel quite right. I was torn between the 150 and 250f on which bike i was faster on. The 150 was light flickable but the 250f had more usable power and was better planted. 

I wanted a bike that was agile, light,could turn good with power and stability. If i could only combine the 150sx with the 250xcf i would have the perfect bike.

I decided to take a gamble on the 250xc . Here is my review of the 2017 KTM 250XC.

WOW.........

Its going to be hard to sum it up but i will try. I have never been so impressed with any other bike i have owned before.  My firt ride i did was almost magical.  It left me in shock and amazement on how good the bike was. It felt like i had the bike for years, it was so natural and dialed in.

The motor.  Smooth, smooth with more smooth.  Did i say the motor was smooth. Now i did jet it with the JD kit and set the float height.  The power is perfect. Very linear almost 4st like. Good responsive bottom end and mid with a free reving top. You can go up a gear and lug it along or keep the rpms up and scream it. I went out with the wife yesterday.  She is a beginner rider and doesn't go very fast. The bike was just fine putting along right off idle in 2nd and 3rd gear. Super easy motor to go slow on. When i wanted to do a quick sprint there was zero load up and the response was crisp. Power wise it has tons more than the 150 and good deal more than the 250xcf below half throttle.  The 250xcf is real strong up top so i would say there pretty close  to even in the upper rpm. 

Suspension.

The new AER forks in my opinion are the best ktm has put on a bike.

I was dumbfounded on how well it worked out of the box. As of now i will not be getting re-valve. With the pressure at 135 psi and compression set 3 clicks softer there about perfect. These forks are so smooth and progressive.  They handle the small roots and trail junk along with the big woops and high speed hits. The bike tracks excellent with little or no deflation. 

The shock I went up 1 spring rate. Its good ,but not as good as the forks. My only complaint is its just a little harsh over multiple small roots. Ive played with the clickers some and have it where im happy with it. When i have the shock serviced it will get e re-valve but its not needed that bad.

Handling 

This bike is a dream. It feels lighter than it is. Its 14lbs heavier than my 150sx but riding it you would never know. It honestly feels more like a 125 than a 250. The bike corners amazingly good. You just think and it goes there. The bike is every bit as flickable compared to the 150 but is still stable. It has a good planted feel, not as good as the 4st but still good. I can make tight corners faster on this bike compared to my others.

This bike is the total package. Light weight, quick handling,  stable, solid usable power, smooth suspension literally a dream bike. I have never been blow away by a bike before untill now.

My 150sx is now for sale. I took it for a short ride and realized its never going to be used again. The 250xc just kills it. Im keeping the 250xcf.  The xcf is a good bike and will be ridden, it will be my secondary, backup bike.

I will add i did own a 200xcw up untill last year. I now know why ktm dropped the 200. 

There has been some post recently on 250 vs 300. I have never owned a 300 but have ridden several. I have no regrets buying the 250 over the 300. 

2 hours ago, womble9 said:

Nice write up there.

Assuming you've still got the bike would you perhaps have a few minutes free to share your current thoughts on it now that you've had it a while.

I'm considering getting one myself (I've found a dealer that has a new 18 in) so I'm reading up on / trying to as many peoples thoughts on them as I can :).

Calling on Don......

39 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Nice write up there.

I forgot that I even wrote this. Here is an update.  92 hours on the bike and still love it. So far I have nothing to complain about. I've felt no need for more power and the suspension is still on the stock valving.I've been running 132 psi in the forks for singletrack and 138 for faster conditions. Jetting and fuel economy has been excellent with the JD kit. I did an 2 and a half hour Harescramble and only used 1.5 gallons of gas, that's racing not trail riding. 

All I can say is this bike works really good for me. Every year I would buy a new bike trying to find that perfect one. For 2018 I will not be buying one, the 250xc is it. Until I wear it out its not going to be replaced. 

• Like 1

Great reading these reviews, sets my mind at ease, having recently purchased a new '17.

Only problem is I haven't had a chance to ride it as a few days after I built it, it started snowing and

weather just isn't going to co-operate until next spring, but at least it's still has that new bike smell !

Waiting for the weather to break is killing me though hahaha