02 xr70 bogging with new pod filter install

After I installed a new K&N style air filter, my stock 2002 xr70r lost a lot of throttle response and power and bogs often due to the excessive consumption of air and not enough fuel. Do I need a different carb jet kit or will moving the clip up/ down on the carb needle get it back to its original and/or better performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Elton

Edited by Elton Pickett

Did you use air filter oil before installing the air filter? You can try adjusting the air screw IN a 1/4-turn at a time to richen it, but the chances are good that you'll need to go up on both the main jet and the pilot jet and readjust accordingly.

4 hours ago, dirtbkr188 said:

Did you use air filter oil before installing the air filter? You can try adjusting the air screw IN a 1/4-turn at a time to richen it, but the chances are good that you'll need to go up on both the main jet and the pilot jet and readjust accordingly.

The filter I bought isn't foam, it's a mesh non oiled filter (link below). And I tried adjusting the air screw both in and out and it didn't get any better. And where can I find a carb jet kit that will satisfy my needs? 

Thanks, 

Elton 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2x-35MM-Red-Air-Intake-Filter-Pod-45-Degree-Bend-for-Motorcycle-Scooter-ATV-MBK-/182498462389?hash=item2a7dc18ab5%3Ag%3AE5YAAOSwr~lYq6P2&_trkparms=pageci%3A9c1f5a64-23c1-11e7-81f6-74dbd1806616%7Cparentrq%3A7e25158415b0a6a8c2043325fff724b8%7Ciid%3A19

Edited by Elton Pickett

If you intend to do any off-road riding (tracks, trails, backyard, etc.) you're going to need a foam pod-style air filter that can be oiled, to prevent ANY dust or dirt from getting into your engine. Those mesh-type filters are fine for strictly on-road or stunt riding.

That being said, you can pick up individual main and pilot jets for the stock XR/CRF70 carb at the link below.

Jets R Us link

We've bought (and sold) a LOT of XR-CRF70s (& XR50s).
We've never been able to get one running correctly if it had any type of aftermarket filter.
We buy a used stock air box off eBay, problem solved.

On April 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM, arthur6 said:

We've bought (and sold) a LOT of XR-CRF70s (& XR50s).
We've never been able to get one running correctly if it had any type of aftermarket filter.
We buy a used stock air box off eBay, problem solved.

Did you ever have one that smokes white smoke?  My sons does that and short of a top end I don't know what to do for it. Rebuilt carb, adjusted valves, still runs kinda poorly.  And smokes. 

We've had more than a few that smoked, some a LOT, some just a little.
We have never attempted any kind of engine rebuild.
We have bought bikes that were rebuilt but none ran even close to what they should.
We part those out.
Depending on how bad it smokes dictates if we sell it whole or part it.
We only resell good clean bikes all others get sold part by part.
This thread is about aftermarket air filters, I'm sure some guys have success with 'em but most people, including us don't.

The stock carb isn't worth messing with. Larger units are cheap and offer much better power and response. The little keihin 18mm offers a pretty good increase with great low-end response. If you go bigger than 20mm you loose the bottom end response for marginally better top end.

On 4/24/2017 at 5:46 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

The stock carb isn't worth messing with. Larger units are cheap and offer much better power and response. The little keihin 18mm offers a pretty good increase with great low-end response. If you go bigger than 20mm you loose the bottom end response for marginally better top end.

Thanks for the info ohiodrz400sm!