YZ 250 2001 clutch not disengaging engine when trying to coast

I got a new to me 2001 yz 250 which has a healthy motor and jetted properly for my elevation. The problem I'm having is when I'm in gear riding and push in the clutch the rpms don't drop to idle but if I give it gas it doesn't slip and revs freely.

I can start the bike in gear fine and looked at my clutch already which has plenty of life left and my clutch basket is in good condition to. I adjusted my clutch freeplay which was already in spec. It has aftermarket clutch lever and I maxed it out as far as it can go outwards  but the rpms still wont drop to idle when im trying to coast in gear. Another weird thing is if I'm stopped in gear with clutch pulled in it is at idle speed.

Any suggestions is appreciated because I don't know what else to check.

1 hour ago, Gary YZDOC said:

Sounds like you hit all the bases, sticky throttle cable and slide is about all that's left. 

I thought about that but if I am coasting in gear and brake till im completely stopped in 5secs or 20secs it always goes back to idle speed when im stopped.

I do have another idea but Im not sure if it makes total sense. When I'm stopped in gear idling there is no load, but clutching in while moving at speed there is a load the clutch has to take so if my clutch cable cant take the load it might be just stretching the cable and not fully engaging it till the load is gone.

If I'm reading you right it sounds pretty normal to me.

You can go overly rich on the air screw to make it drop to idle faster. Then check again while riding and testing the clutch.

• Like 1

You can start your YZ in gear?! Your clutch is better than most the bikes in these threads.

One note; be sure you have the correct, measured amount of oil in the trans -- don't use the 'check' screw to determine oil level. Insufficient gearbox oil (which will happen if you use the check screw) will starve a bearing for oil and cause it to drag... and eventually seize.

• Like 1

I turned my air screw in .5 and 1 turn in richer and still didn't drop the idle. (my air screw is tuned for about 1.5 turns out normally)

I also always use a measuring cup for my oil so I know I got the exact amount.

• Like 1