I GOT A TICKET AT OCOTILLO WELLS/SALTON SEA AREA

First off, hello all, been a couple years since on the forums.
Damn, I think most know the area. Off the S22 south side near Am/Pm. Been cruising through the neaghborhood for years on the way to am/pm.  Most of the locals are off roaders and ride right out of their garages. This Sat my 16yo twins, a buddy and I were pulled over by Imperial County Sheriff.  No warning,  just wrote us up for riding on the street. He said a new resident has been making the calls.

I asked how the hell are all these residences going to deal with this as most purchased their homes with the off road factor in mind.

Later that evening I drove back to ask the locals and first house I pulled up on reconized me and asked what the deputy said. Once I told them I was cited, they could not believe it. They showed me the house the man lived that was calling the police everyday.

I'm blown away. He also was very dispointed when he saw my kids were under 18, then said I guess I get the adults. He said I was better off zigzagging through the undeveloped properties. The family I spoke to said this guy has been a pain in the ass all season. I wonder what that ticket is going to cost me, $400 maybe. Deputy Olivas told me to put the word out. So guess I took one for the Team.

I get it, I was breaking the law for many years. I remember in the past being waved to by the police in the same area. What about the spot were the streets are paved, but no homes built, must be elegal to ride on those streets too. We were going 25mph.

All I can suggest is to petition to get an ordinance passed to make riding OHVs on certain streets legal up to a certain MPH to connect homes to trails. Sounds tough to do though.

• Like 1

I live in Michigan. In many counties in the LP and UP it is legal to ride ORV's on the right side of the roads. 25mph and ORV sticker required. A few other stipulations apply. Each county can make their own rules. In most counties, city limits are closed to ORV's. Is it a good idea yes. Is it abused - often.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gary YZDOC said:

Just another reason CA is becoming the cesspool it wants to be. Hey Jerry, thanks for coming back to office douchebager!  

Thats silly... how is this Jerry's fault...  I agree he's a total douche...  but come-on...  that's a real stretch.

Don't like CA's politics ? GO VOTE...  then go talk to your WIFE...  then go talk to your FAMILY...  then go talk to your NEIGHBORS...  then go talk to your CO-WORKERS...  and your UNION LEADERS.  THEY are the people that put Jerry and the rest of the douchebags in charge year after year...  decade after decade.  It ain't magic...  people you know do this shit.

Back to Ocotillo...  It's a small community wrapped around an OHV area.  So laws regarding dirt bikes on the street have traditionally been overlooked.  So one &%$#@! moves in and starts complaining.  The law is the law.  This guy has even more to stand on than dummy who moves in next to an airport and complains about noise...  cause it just ain't legal to ride OHVs on the city streets. 

The cops could give warnings and look the the way but they wanna make some revenue if they are gonna be bothered to go out there.  The &%$#@!'s property taxes get them a hundred bucks a year... doesn't even cover their gas to spend the day out there...  they make more money than that on a couple tickets.

This is pure math folks.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Padilen said:

I live in Michigan. In many counties in the LP and UP it is legal to ride ORV's on the right side of the roads. 25mph and ORV sticker required. A few other stipulations apply. Each county can make their own rules. In most counties, city limits are closed to ORV's. Is it a good idea yes. Is it abused - often.

Isn't it also legal to marry your sister in Michigan ?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Thats silly... how is this Jerry's fault...  I agree he's a total douche...  but come-on...  that's a real stretch.

Don't like CA's politics ? GO VOTE...  then go talk to your WIFE...  then go talk to your FAMILY...  then go talk to your NEIGHBORS...  then go talk to your CO-WORKERS...  and your UNION LEADERS.  THEY are the people that put Jerry and the rest of the douchebags in charge year after year...  decade after decade.  It ain't magic...  people you know do this shit.

Back to Ocotillo...  It's a small community wrapped around an OHV area.  So laws regarding dirt bikes on the street have traditionally been overlooked.  So one &%$#@! moves in and starts complaining.  The law is the law.  This guy has even more to stand on than dummy who moves in next to an airport and complains about noise...  cause it just ain't legal to ride OHVs on the city streets. 

The cops could give warnings and look the the way but they wanna make some revenue if they are gonna be bothered to go out there.  The &%$#@!'s property taxes get them a hundred bucks a year... doesn't even cover their gas to spend the day out there...  they make more money than that on a couple tickets.

This is pure math folks.  

I do vote in CA, so don't go making accusations you can't hold a match to. 

My goose at JB was about him and the % of CA that voted him in, not me, my wife, or kids. I didn't blame him, just added his name to the post for fun.  Now, I can't speak for my tree hugging dumb arse brothers and sisters. Enjoy the extra taxes goofs! 

OW like everything else in CA is starting to suck. Was just down there in Jan, road to the little mexi cantina across the street. Saw the cops but they didn't do anything. One, uno, 1, resident is causing this. Yep, only takes one, uno, 1, and all of a sudden you have gas cans that spill more than they work, motorcycles so choked up they barely run, and whole bunch of other crap.    

Carry on CA. 

• Like 1

California Vehicle Code

(a) In addition to Section 38025 and after complying with subdivision (c) of this section, if a local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation finds that a highway, or a portion of a highway, under the jurisdiction of the authority, agency, or the director, as the case may be, is located in a manner that provides a connecting link between off-highway motor vehicle trail segments, between an off-highway motor vehicle recreational use area and necessary service facilities, or between lodging facilities and an off-highway motor vehicle recreational facility and if it is found that the highway is designed and constructed so as to safely permit the use of regular vehicular traffic and also the driving of off-highway motor vehicles on that highway, the local authority, by resolution or ordinance, agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation, as the case may be, may designate that highway, or a portion of a highway, for combined use and shall prescribe rules and regulations therefor. A highway, or portion of a highway, shall not be so designated for a distance of more than three miles, except as provided in Section 38026.1. A freeway shall not be designated under this section.

(b) The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission may propose highway segments for consideration by local authorities, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation for combined use.

(c) Prior to designating a highway or portion of a highway on the motion of the local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation, or as a recommendation of the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission, a local authority, an agency of the federal government, or the Director of Parks and Recreation shall notify the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol, and shall not designate any segment pursuant to subdivision (a) which, in the opinion of the commissioner, would create a potential traffic safety hazard.

(d) (1) A designation of a highway, or a portion of a highway, under subdivision (a) shall become effective upon the erection of appropriate signs of a type approved by the Department of Transportation on and along the highway, or portion of the highway.

(2) The cost of the signs shall be reimbursed from the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund, when appropriated by the Legislature, or by expenditure of funds from a grant or cooperative agreement made pursuant to Section 5090.50 of the Public Resources Code.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gary YZDOC said:

Now, I can't speak for my tree hugging dumb arse brothers and sisters. Enjoy the extra taxes goofs! 

Well there you have it.  :thumbsup:

When you get the folks on your Christmas Card list straightened out...  let us know. :smirk:

• Like 1

I talked to the owner of the AM/PM a few years back and he said because of the off roaders and Thanksgiving Holiday, he grossed over $1m in sales the Friday after Thanksgiving. Ye think this would help get an ordinance passed to allow special access for OHV to the local stores.

• Like 1

Dube,

As part of your ammunition (if it helps), look at what Cal City did by implementing OHV legal access to parts of the City.  Ocotillo is a OHV community and my 'educated' guess is your grumpy neighbor pressured the I.C. Sheriff to do something.  The community should apply some pressure back.  Brewster's post is a good start.

I doubt this is about revenue (what little they actually get)...but many don't believe my input on this (retired LEO management from an adjacent county).

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Don't just pay the fine.  Go to court and explain the situation to the judge.  Tell him that in the past, you have had deputies just wave to you.  You understood that to mean they were not enforcing the vehicle code in relation to what you were doing.  If you want to contest it, they will have the deputy in court on a later date to testify what happened, and you will have a chance to question him about past practices.  You will still be found guilty, but you will have a good chance to get a reduced or suspended fine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Well there you have it.  :thumbsup:

When you get the folks on your Christmas Card list straightened out...  let us know. :smirk:

You're NOT on that list PAL. Sorry! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gary YZDOC said:

You're NOT on that list PAL. Sorry! 

I know...  I couldn't be...  I didn't vote for Jerry Brown.  :doh:

• Like 1

Oh sweet Jesus you guys....

I always use the no eye contact rule, if I didnt look at said LEO (directly) then I didnt see him and I continue on as nothing happened although I will usually adjust my course to use much less pavement toward much rougher terrain after any such contact.

• Like 6

And as a precedent:

(a) Except as provided in subdivision (e), the County of Inyo may establish a pilot project to designate combined-use highways on unincorporated county roads in the county for no more than 10 miles so that the combined-use highways can be used to link existing off-highway motor vehicle trails and trailheads on federal Bureau of Land Management or United States Forest Service lands, and to link off-highway motor vehicle recreational-use areas with necessary service and lodging facilities, in order to provide a unified system of trails for off-highway motor vehicles, preserve traffic safety, improve natural resource protection, reduce off-highway vehicle trespass on private land, and minimize impacts on county residents.

There's a lot more to read on this section of the vehicle code:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&division=16.5.&title=&part=&chapter=2.&article=1.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Speed-Freek said:

I always use the no eye contact rule, if I didnt look at said LEO (directly) then I didnt see him and I continue on as nothing happened although I will usually adjust my course to use much less pavement toward much rougher terrain after any such contact.

I'm guessing it's different when you have kids in tow.  :excuseme:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I'm guessing it's different when you have kids in tow.  :excuseme:

Nope. Thats why I dont tow kids, its liable to go horribly wrong when towing...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Speed-Freek said:

I do the same thing - and know there's a halo over my head! And it really works!

sometimes..

• Like 3

@Dube2 here is how we know it's changed. 

2010: My nephew, buddy, 4 of my kids, 1 of their friends, myself. 2 bikes trimmed and legal DS and the rest race and trail bikes. The friend of one of my kids was practically out of it from crashing so much in the badlands off artisan well (where your not supposed to be-haha) so we made our way to the expressway just about where the orange groves start on south end. We were going to eat breakfast at the Travertine. Well, we are all riding the shoulder when we came upon a CHP speed checking vehicles. He jumped out of his rig and gave us the what for's. We told him about the one kid, he took a look at him and said, "you two dual sports ride shouldered pavement, you others stay in the dirt until you get to bridges then be safe when you come up on the pavement. Your about 8-9 miles from the travertine. Be safe!" Now just think, out of 8 he could have given 6 tickets, 4 that would have been mine due to the 4 kids of mine in tow. Then like I said, just this year MLK, LEO's watched me and 7-8 others in my group go through and cross the road (bikes, quads, and a SXS. Yep, CA is changing in all OHV spots, and notice, all it takes is one! :foul:

Edited by Gary YZDOC
  • Like 1