Jump to content

Stock in forth gear

Recommended Posts

Hi , my transmition is stock in forth or fifth gear , shifter does not go up , down only and does not shift . Bike has 18 K , oil tank is full but did not check for metal , No noise , rode the bike home with no problem except stop signs and red lights . Where do I start . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Pull off the right side engine cover (clutch side) and have a look at the stopper, pawls, and cam. If the problem isn't there you will be splitting the cases to inspect the forks and drum.

Ok , will do sometime this week , I'm ok with cover and clutch removal ( did cam chain last year) but for splitng the engine I can hardly split a coconut , thanks . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok , will do sometime this week , I'm ok with cover and clutch removal ( did cam chain last year) but for splitng the engine I can hardly split a coconut , thanks . 

Rap the coconut sharply with the back of a machete or heavy chopping knife circumferentially on its horizontal axis.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:


Rap the coconut sharply with the back of a machete or heavy chopping knife circumferentially on its horizontal axis.

I need to find a coconut first , it s easier to find a ACT  here in  Montreal . Was reading my clymer for the last hour , will open right side in couple days ,  thanks .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had that happen to me last weekend and  turned out to be something simple...I had recently done a rebuild and when I put the gear  shift shaft in I didn't put a washer on the outside of the case behind the circlip (on shift lever side)...the little bit of play  allowed the shift linkage to become disengaged (clutch side). Put it back together (with a washer in place) and works fine! There's a lot of things that can go wrong with the shift linkage and shift pawls... and it's usually the culprit of poor shifting on the drz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lakeportmike said:

had that happen to me last weekend and  turned out to be something simple...I had recently done a rebuild and when I put the gear  shift shaft in I didn't put a washer on the outside of the case behind the circlip (on shift lever side)...the little bit of play  allowed the shift linkage to become disengaged (clutch side). Put it back together (with a washer in place) and works fine! There's a lot of things that can go wrong with the shift linkage and shift pawls... and it's usually the culprit of poor shifting on the drz.

i never removed that clip before , only the lever , but thanks , will double check on instal . Clymer mention to put transmission in neutral before removing lever and shift shaft , is that necessary , can not shift to neutral .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habs said:

i never removed that clip before , only the lever , but thanks , will double check on instal . Clymer mention to put transmission in neutral before removing lever and shift shaft , is that necessary , can not shift to neutral .

no...not necessary

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found my problem, spring or pin on the top pawl was stuck compressed for some reason so the pawl could not engage on the cam , once removed it got unstuck and working fine but i might still order new parts , do not want this to happen deep in the woods . thanks guys , without TT support i would not have  tried to fix this . first picture is pawl fixed , second pic you can see pawl not touching cam . 

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×