I'm a huge Maxxis fan and prefer to stay with them. I live in Utah so the terrain varies. I ride mostly in the desert on hard pack and sand, up in the mountains with dirt and roots and rocks, and the occasional track day. What Maxxis tire setup would be the best for me?

4 minutes ago, Amd241997 said:

I'm a huge Maxxis fan and prefer to stay with them. I live in Utah so the terrain varies. I ride mostly in the desert on hard pack and sand, up in the mountains with dirt and roots and rocks, and the occasional track day. What Maxxis tire setup would be the best for me?

Dump the Maxxis and get Kenda Parker DTs.  Better tires, less expensive.  I ride in very similar terrain to you in NW NM.

Why stay loyal to a brand if they don't have what's best for you? I think it's pretty hard to beat the shinko 505 cheater. Good in about everything (even MX), and wears for along time.

I just ordered a set of Kenda 772's. I ride desert most of the time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dan__B said:

I just ordered a set of Kenda 772's. I ride desert most of the time

Aka the Parker DT.  You will like them alot.  I've been running them for a couple years.  Its the Carlsbad pattern with a better compound and 6 plys.  HD tube and you will be virtually flat proof.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Would these be good for the conditions I specified?

Aka the Parker DT.  You will like them alot.  I've been running them for a couple years.  Its the Carlsbad pattern with a better compound and 6 plys.  HD tube and you will be virtually flat proof.

1 minute ago, Amd241997 said:

Like I said in my post above, I live in the high desert of NW NM, conditions are very similar to yours.  The tires work extremely well in the desert and and also in the mountains.  They are indestructible.  The front is the best I've ever used in the sand for tracking.  They're DOT, but I've never used them on pavement, I can't imagine they would be much fun being a full knobby.

• Like 1

What about using a maxxcross it for front and desert it for rear? I've had Maxxis and they held up for a long time but I was looking for a different Maxxis setup for a more well rounded ride

I've run the 772 in the rear for a few years but this will be my first try with it up front. I usually use a Kenda 775 up front.

2 minutes ago, Dan__B said:

I've run the 772 in the rear for a few years but this will be my first try with it up front. I usually use a Kenda 775 up front.

My son has the Washougals on his CRF450R and loves them.  But, they are an MX tire that is also good for off road, the 772s are a purpose built off road tire.

My son has the Washougals on his CRF450R and loves them.  But, they are an MX tire that is also good for off road, the 772s are a purpose built off road tire.

I'm open to trying new tires but I'm a little hesitant since all I've ran were michelins and the Maxxis it which were my favorite for durability and traction but lacked sand worthiness

The 775 front is super predictable and has always done well for me. Reason for the switch is I'm plating my 450 and want a DOT front. otherwise I'd stick with the 775

The 775 front is super predictable and has always done well for me. Reason for the switch is I'm plating my 450 and want a DOT front. otherwise I'd stick with the 775

I'll probably give them a try. Need a fresh set of tires and just wanted a good setup for desert, sand, track, and mountain singletrack

4 minutes ago, Dan__B said:

You will like the 772, it is better in sand.  It is a bi-directional tire, since you are going to be using it on the road some you will probably want to run it in the hard direction.  Here's the arrows on the rear, front is same for that.

DSCF6880_zpse5gd92g4.jpg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

2 minutes ago, Amd241997 said:

I'll probably give them a try. Need a fresh set of tires and just wanted a good setup for desert, sand, track, and mountain singletrack

I don't know what sizes you need but I got my set off eBay for 137 shipped