Lengthening 230 Swing arm

Stock 230 wheel base is 54".  Has anyone lengthened the 230 swing arm to 56" or so.  I know Snake's BBR was stretched.  That was some nice work but I'm wondering about the 230F.  My 250L is over 56" and I like the handling except for the weight factor.

My friend lengthened a CR85 BW SA so he could use an 18" wheel on his BBR.  He used 2 ebay SA for parts to make one.  He cut the legs in different places on the 2 SA and welded the longer parts together to make the long SA, the left over parts could be used for a very  short SA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chuck. said:

My friend lengthened a CR85 BW SA so he could use an 18" wheel on his BBR.  He used 2 ebay SA for parts to make one.  He cut the legs in different places on the 2 SA and welded the longer parts together to make the long SA, the left over parts could be used for a very  short SA.

I weld, so i lengthen my swing arm. I can now fly through the whoops that had once had me flying over the handle bar. I can still cut and dice with anyone in the woods if i choose. A 54" wheel base is too dang short for any bike with 21" front wheel and 18" rear. KTM's FreeRide has a 55" wheel base, that should tell you something. A CRF230 will not win a FreeRide in the woods nor on open trails that usually have whoops. That should tell you something also. Where the 230f shines over the freeride has to do with it being a 4st, and its slow torque. But my 230f is up in the FreeRide's butt. How you may ask? I have a 55 inch and 1/4" wheel base. 

Cut the head off your swing arm and pull it out, by grinding the welds. Have the solid block thingy extended by a machine shop. with the longer block that holds the wheel; have it weld back in place. Your done! You'll have KTM's whoop ability and still be able eat up the woods. On open trails you'll be able to keep up with the big boys.

Here's a side note: Our stock CRF150F...yes with stock suspension was more controllable and faster  in the whoops than our 230f with 150r forks and Hlebo shock. For years that puzzled me. Until I saw the light. 21" front tire, and 18 rear is too big for the wheel base factory Honda offers the 230F. DON'T believe me?...try it for yourself. 

Almost forgot, don't do this mod if you plan on keeping your stock forks. The stock forks are too weak to handle the new speeds you'll be capable of. WEST SIDE is the Best side!....west cost!

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Baja HOOTER/ PLVIS    LOONY TUNES AT WORK

LoL...you think?

• Like 1

if your making plans with Baja Hooter Extra LOCO. Crf150/Crf230 over the woops you can improve yes. Big waist of time as big wheel 450 knows woops.Any wheel 150/230 hurt yourself.

14 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Stock 230 wheel base is 54".  Has anyone lengthened the 230 swing arm to 56" or so.  I know Snake's BBR was stretched.  That was some nice work but I'm wondering about the 230F.  My 250L is over 56" and I like the handling except for the weight factor.

I bought my 230f in 2006. I love the snot of it. But you know guys, all this modifications can be avoided by buying the KTM FreeRide. By the time you make a 230f worth having (unless bought used) you could of had a ton more rides and less headaches with the FreeRide. Plus the cost will have been about the same when you factor how much you must dump into the 230f. Basically, what all us 230f riders are trying to make/build, is what Ktm gives away stock...yep a FreeRide.

So yes I'm a little retarded but not as much as the guy who buys a new 230f who plans on building it to the ability of a Ktm FreeRide. The building of the 230f was fun, but if i knew what i know now, or had the option at the time to buy the FreeRide, I'm sure my favorite color would be ORANGE!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

I bought my 230f in 2006. I love the snot of it. But you know guys, all this modifications can be avoided by buying the KTM FreeRide. By the time you make a 230f worth having (unless bought used) you could of had a ton more rides and less headaches with the FreeRide. Plus the cost will have been about the same when you factor how much you must dump into the 230f. Basically, what all us 230f riders are trying to make/build, is what Ktm gives away stock...yep a FreeRide.

So yes I'm a little retarded but not as much as the guy who buys a new 230f who plans on building it to the ability of a Ktm FreeRide. The building of the 230f was fun, but if i knew what i know now, or had the option at the time to buy the FreeRide, I'm sure my favorite color would be ORANGE!

The Freetard is a two stroke with no gas mi range and no seat. :lol:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

I am nowhere close to the $7,999 MSRP of that thing and I bought my 2009 brand new.  According to my running list of modifications I have an extra $1,734 in my CRF230 which brings the grand total to ~$5,000.  There is quite a BIG difference between $5,000 and $8,000!

I would really like to take one for a spin but it looks to be too large for my needs.  I had a dream I rode one...  But it ran out of gas...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevethe said:

The Freetard is a two stroke with no gas mi range and no seat. :lol:

But which modification do you think is the easier...FreeRide modified seat and larger tank, or ton of serious modification work, suspension and engine building :pfor the 230f?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

But which modification do you think is the easier...FreeRide modified seat and larger tank, or ton of serious modification work, suspension and engine building :pfor the 230f?

Well as long as it doesn't say KTM when your done your good. Besides you ever ride a two stroke on a road to get to the trails. Ha ha. Not to mention the face on the freerider as you punish him on a long hill climb with a girls bike. ??

Edited by stevethe

23 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Well as long as it doesn't say KTM when your done your good. Besides you ever ride a two stroke on a road to get to the trails. Ha ha. Not to mention the face on the freeider as you punish him on a long hill climb with a girls bike. ??

Hey you're bringing mail to the mail man...you must remember i own a 230f and love it. Dual sporting a 4st vs a 2st, the four stroke wins every time. But sense you've never rode the KTM FreeTard as you so kindly put it. I'm here to tell you, its one bad mother shut your mouth...I'm only talking about Shaft! 

Edited by The Plvis

16 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

I would really like to take one for a spin but it looks to be too large for my needs.  

The FreeRide is the identical size of our 230f. What separates it from our bike in size is the wheel base. In my opinion its set up for more unknown conditions than our 230f is. I love the 230f but the FreeRide is better than 230f if one choose not to dual sport. But each his own...no doubt the 230f is awesome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

The FreeRide is the identical size of our 230f. What separates it from our bike in size is the wheel base. In my opinion its set up for more unknown conditions than our 230f is. I love the 230f but the FreeRide is better than 230f if one choose not to dual sport. But each his own...no doubt the 230f is awesome. 

Has a 36" seat height...  Way more than a CRF230.  More like an XR250 and that is a BIG difference for slow short tight work.  In fact, it is almost identical to the XR250 except that the XR250 is even more of a porker than the CRF230.  OINK!!!

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Has a 36" seat height...  Way more than a CRF230.  More like an XR250 and that is a BIG difference for slow short tight work.  In fact, it is almost identical to the XR250 except that the XR250 is even more of a porker than the CRF230.  OINK!!!

Opps your right. I forgot i have the 150f link in my 230f. When I'm not running the 150f link, I'm using the CR85 shock. It has my seat height at 35 inches. Motor cycle Companies do so much lying. The FreeRide seat height is identical to our 230f's with the 150F's link. I don't lie. I've rode the FreeRide many times. You can trust my word. 1996 thru 2004 XR250R is an inch taller than my 230f with the 150f's link.  The XR250R is taller than the FreeRide. I'm saying this from experience, not from a book or here say. Go check it yourself, then come back and report.

Edited by The Plvis

6 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

The XR250R is taller than the FreeRide. I'm saying this from experience, not from a book or here say. Go check it yourself, then come back and report.

I never measured the two late-model XR250s we had in the garage but they feel big, tall, and heavy, especially compared to a CRF230.  Like balancing a bowling ball on a toothpick compared to a CRF230.  The CRF230 goes through stuff like a Weeble -- You have to try hard to knock one over.  Like a Little Red Weeble Pig...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

I never measured the two late-model XR250s we had in the garage but they feel big, tall, and heavy, especially compared to a CRF230.  Like balancing a bowling ball on a toothpick compared to a CRF230.  The CRF230 goes through stuff like a Weeble -- You have to try hard to knock one over.  Like a Little Red Weeble Pig...

Well your doing yourself a disservice if you don't try out the FreeRide. It's light years ahead of any XR250R Honda has ever built. Its only short comings, perhaps is it only comes as a 2st. In my Opinion, I had to make my 230f into what KTM makes stock. I needed a 55 inch wheel base. KTM' s 55" wheel base was Free. I needed inverted forks, KTM inverted forks were free, I needed good rubber, KTM's rubber was free, I needed Aluminum handle bars, KTM's was free, I needed more power, KTM's was free. I need more space between the foot pegs and the handle bars, KTM's was free. The list goes on and on. I guess that's why they called it the FreeRide.

Edited by The Plvis

1 minute ago, The Plvis said:

Well your doing yourself a disservice if you don't try out the FreeRide. It's light years ahead of any XR250R Honda has ever built. Its only short comings, perhaps is it only comes as a 2st. In my Opinion, I had to make my 230f into what KTM makes stock. I needed a 55 inch wheel base. KTM' s 55" wheel base was Free. I needed inverted forks, KTM inverted forks were free, I needed good rubber, KTM's rubber was free, I needed Aluminum handle bars, KTM's was free, I needed more power, KTM's was free. I need more space between the foot pegs and the handle bars, KTM's was free. The list goes on and on. I guess that's why the called it the FreeRide.

I don't consider any of those attributes "free" as they come with a very hefty price tag.  MSRP of $7,999 plus tax and other charges puts you between $8,500 and $9,000 and that is just WAY TOO MUCH for a dirt bike in my book.  Perhaps a used one might be more palatable but I see nothing out there.

I have done some research in the forums out there and riders seem to like them but nobody seems to rave about them.  Many riders don't care for the dumbed-down (simplified) engine and targeted low-speed power delivery.

I love the idea of the thing but I don't like the price one little bit.  That is a BOAT-LOAD of money for a woods/trails bike.

• Like 1

Looks like it is ~18 RWHP stock.  I don't know the elevation the testing was done but if that is so that is not very impressive.  They must have tested it at the top of Mount Everest.

155930825.f2k7kg3b.jpg