Problem aligning cam with tdc mark

I am reinstalling my cam with a new cam chain and are following the Honda OEM manual for the cam and chain. I did some reading and it seems common place to be off 1/2 tooth. My cam marks are either high or low on one side depending on how I set the chain. I do set the fly wheel on the t mark. If I  dowel the cylinder to get tdc the marks on the cam line up perfectly. Then the T mark will be off. I just want to make sure I got this right before the engine goes back in. this on an 1986 xr250.

Edited by liberty2701

I had a similar issue on my 85 XR200R. I thought maybe it was because the cam chain could have been stretched a bit but I couldn't find a replacement chain at the time for that bike (dual carb RFVC). Also, the cam tensioner wasn't at its limit so, I really don't know what the issue was. Since you have a new chain, it probably wasn't my issue after all.

Anyway, I reluctantly put the bike back together and but its been running fine.

Curious to find out what your issue is.

It might show to be off slightly but when you put tension on the chain it should get you closer to the tick mark. I had the same issue on my yz250f but once I put the chain tension it aligned almost spot on.