Kx250 VIN??

Hey guys, I just need some help. I've done some research and can't find anything like it. I'm looking at a "2003 kx250" or at least that's what I'm told. However, the vin is 1KAKX11LC1YA013552. he sent me a picture of it stamped and it looks original but I can't find that vin when I look it up. Any ideas? He's only had the bike for a year now. He's a buddy of mine, but did he get a bike that was restamped or something? 

received_1877668012520629.jpeg

He mistyped the vin... it's actually 1KAKXMLC1YA013552 but how come it won't come up as that when I quote insurance or try to view it on Kawasaki's website? 

received_1877705849183512.jpeg

Thanks. I appreciate it. It still doesn't come up but if I change the 1 to a J it comes up as a 2000 kx250. 

it is a 2000 kx250 , my 10th digit is a y and yes first letter should be a J not a 1

1999-2002 same bike

how much is he asking ?

It's a buddy of mine. Said he'd sell it to me with an extra set  of excel wheels, a few extra parts, and gear for $1000. It's got an end pipe and brand new top end with 0 hours. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gunny_11 said:

Is it worth it you think? 

doing the exchange rate in my head from $AUS to $USD i think yes

I had the same issue with my bike i ended up calling kawasaki usa and they told me my vin was never made but if you change the one number it was a bike they had records of.  They did a vin search and found out the bike was sold in ca to a race team the next registered in texas then back in cali and i now have it in nj.  Bike is the same year as well. Moght just be a flaw in the manufacturing that wasnt corrected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scoobanj4 said:

I had the same issue with my bike i ended up calling kawasaki usa and they told me my vin was never made but if you change the one number it was a bike they had records of.  They did a vin search and found out the bike was sold in ca to a race team the next registered in texas then back in cali and i now have it in nj.  Bike is the same year as well. Moght just be a flaw in the manufacturing that wasnt corrected.

I appreciate that info. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick it up this weekend. 

On 4/18/2017 at 10:25 AM, Gunny_11 said:

The first digit on this is definitely a 1 though. 

No.

It isn't.

Here is your VIN:

JKAKXMLC1YA013552

"1" means made in the country of USA. Some previous owner caked on some powder coat and you can't tell a "J" from a "1" now. It was made in Japan, which means it has a "J" at the start of the VIN.

It is a 2000 Kawasaki KX250-L2.

Many parts from 1999 - 2002 will be the same, but check parts diagrams to be sure.

The service manual is $34.95 MSRP and will be the best money you ever spend on a bike.

The owner's manual can be viewed / downloaded for free from Kawasaki or purchased new for $15.95.

Some book learnin won't hurtcha.  Look what it done done fer me.