New spring rate/washers?

Hey guys, I just got new front fork springs for my 2011 Kawasaki kx450f from racetech. Went from stock to .50kg/mm. They came with 4 aluminum washers. My new springs measure out to the same as the old. Do I need to put the washers on or is that just a preference type thing?

Thanks guys!

You need to check preload.

Put the spring in the fork then place the inner chamber on top of the spring. Take a measurement from the top of the inner chamber to the top of the fork tube (make sure outer tube is all the way bottomed out) without putting any downforce on the cartridge.

Then assemble the rebound adjusted to the rod (push rod threw bottom of fork and install/ jam rebound adjuster to jam nut)

Next take a measurement from the top of the inner cartridge to the fork tube (make sure outer tube is all the way bottomed out) and the difference will be your preload.

RT suggest 4mm of preload.

If preload is less then 4mm add the thickness of washers you need on the bottom of the fork under the spring.

If preload is more then 4mm then you will need to cut the spring seat down.

You need to check preload.

Put the spring in the fork then place the inner chamber on top of the spring. Take a measurement from the top of the inner chamber to the top of the fork tube (make sure outer tube is all the way bottomed out) without putting any downforce on the cartridge.

Then assemble the rebound adjusted to the rod (push rod threw bottom of fork and install/ jam rebound adjuster to jam nut)

Next take a measurement from the top of the inner cartridge to the fork tube (make sure outer tube is all the way bottomed out) and the difference will be your preload.

RT suggest 4mm of preload.

If preload is less then 4mm add the thickness of washers you need on the bottom of the fork under the spring.

If preload is more then 4mm then you will need to cut the spring seat down.

Thanks man. I'll check it out and let u know.
  • Like 1